engine balancing and lightening engine

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
hi sifus n zthians..ive been reading the whole day on how to mod 4g93..damn blur now..hehe..im really clueless now n i really hope someone could help me out..really appreaciate ur help..hehe..what i read earlier on was how to build 4g93 na..its a really old thread..most of them said to do porting la,balancing la,lightening la and blueprint..im really new to all this..could someone explain to me??thanks alot in advance..i got a second hand satria gti n the previous owner did the exhaust system n engine grounding kit already n i just added in an open pod air filter..thats all..what can i do the gain more hp and top speed..hehe..but i use the car daily..thanks again guys

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
There is lots of info about porting/balancing/blueprinting, try use the search function... and most of the info can be found in sticky area... browse it first, then only further discuss on things that you not sure... : )

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
For starters, i think the best way to start are to touch on intake and exhaust parts. if u wanna do engine balancing, i recommend you to do it when u decided to overhaul ur engine.

just4z

Mar 1, 2006
easy way stanby 10k+++ go to powerzone . hard way read all the forum ask around and dicide .

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Silly way to spend hard-earned money--dun bother to know what is it just pay for the sake of owning it...

smart way to spend hard-earned money--understand it, evaluate it and only dig out money when necessary...

i had been a fool for quite sometimes, you sure you wanna follow the easy track?? hoho:biggrin:

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi sifus n zthians..ive been reading the whole day on how to mod 4g93..damn blur now..hehe..im really clueless now n i really hope someone could help me out..really appreaciate ur help..hehe..what i read earlier on was how to build 4g93 na..its a really old thread..most of them said to do porting la,balancing la,lightening la and blueprint..im really new to all this..could someone explain to me??thanks alot in advance..i got a second hand satria gti n the previous owner did the exhaust system n engine grounding kit already n i just added in an open pod air filter..thats all..what can i do the gain more hp and top speed..hehe..but i use the car daily..thanks again guys
Easiest way to get more power is turbocharge ur car, simple stage 1 with bolt-on turbo, ECU & airfilter + exhaust. A simple kit like this can gain approx. 30-40% more power & since a smaller turbo is used the turbo-lag should be minimal & mid-high end power dramatically improved.

But since you asked about na tuning ok here goes,

Porting
Is to mill & polish any imperfection on the engine intake & exhaust port, giving smoother air flow thus enhance performance. Works great for turbo & na cars but quite labour expensive for the performance you get. Since Japanese engine intake & exhaust port nowadays are already very good only very little performance can be gained. Expect better throttle response, revvier engine & a little more hp.

Balancing
Usually done after lightening or changing the engine internals, shave off counter weight on crankshaft or tuning counter balance shaft to achieve perfect balance. The theory is simple, better balanced crankshaft => less vibration => higher rev achieve => more HP. Not recommended for original engine internals cause original internals are heavier & not as durable as forged internals. Which means original internals can't rev high without breaking apart so no point in balancing them.

Lightening
Swapping original engine internals (pistons, con-rod, crankshaft) for lighter, tougher parts. Lighter & tougher parts means the internals can gain or lose revs faster, able to rev higher & more durable than standard parts (if properly tuned). Expect free revving engine & 'jerky' on-off throttle. Great for racing but not easy to drive on normal road.

Blueprinting
Re-spec the engine to your needs. Original engine specs (eg. piston gap, valve clearance) is designed to allow better tolerance & durability. Blueprinting is to tighten or loosen all those gaps in the engine to suit the driver needs. Example skimming the block to get tighter valve clearance for higher compression. This is done to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the engine & usually done for racing, for normal drivers & normal cars its just overkill.

All these tuning you mentioned are just very expensive & in the end the power you gain is probably not alot more than a simple bolt-on turbo.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Just jumping in the thread, a fully built NA car vs a bolt-on-turbo, which would be more reliable to run in the long run?

Say youre a heavy footed driver, loves to drive fast whenever... Im just wondering :biggrin:

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just jumping in the thread, a fully built NA car vs a bolt-on-turbo, which would be more reliable to run in the long run?

Say youre a heavy footed driver, loves to drive fast whenever... Im just wondering :biggrin:
If well taken care of, a bot kit will be more reliable cause it doesn't stress the engine as much as high level of NA tune. A simple turbo kit adds work load on a stock engine but high level of NA tune will push the engine to the limit. But of course the feel of both tune will be different, cause a turbo charged car will never be as precise & responsive as a NA tuned car.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
there are ways to make any charged car to perform as responsive as an na, and wud be as reliable as any na if taken care driven sensibly. sensibly doesnt mean u have to drive like a granma, lol.

i have both, a charged charade4e and an iswara 4g91 na. even though the 4e is much faster and more fun to drive, i luv both of them. it boils down to self preference imo

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
easy way stanby 10k+++ go to powerzone . hard way read all the forum ask around and dicide .
wah 10k+++ go POWERZONE i think u they over charge.... a friend of mine he send this engine to oversea (i think AUS racing engine tuner) for engine mod and he told me labour charge about 3k+++

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
there are ways to make any charged car to perform as responsive as an na, and wud be as reliable as any na if taken care driven sensibly. sensibly doesnt mean u have to drive like a granma, lol.
I agree that turbo can be as reliable as na if well taken care, but still i don't feel turbo can be as precise & responsive as na tune. I've driven some 1 else MR2 turbo, very well tuned, very little lag & the power come in smoothly but firmly & very easy to control. But still it just doesn't feel as direct as a well tuned na car, in a well tuned na its as if your foot is directly linked to the throttle.

And for guys who think na is easier to tune than turbo & less of a hassle, well you'll be surprised on how much work (and money) needed to get the perfect setup.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Giancarlo Fisichella and his business manager Enrico Zanarini have launched the Fisichella Motor Sport Academy, a racing school that will be part of a bigger Fisichella Motor Sport Technopole at the Vallelunga racing circuit near Rome.

The Technopole will include the headquarters of Fisichella Motor Sport's current and future motor racing teams, a museum about Fisichella, including the cars...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience