Electronic Crossover [Mohawk]

Viperize

Apr 12, 2005
Yesterday just changed my Kennon Preamp to Mohawk MKQ-5S... this preamp is much heavier compare to my previous kennon. Price was 300% more. But worth it becos i can hear the difference.

Now considering of adding a 3-ways electronic crossover.... anyone here installed this stuff ? Where is the different ?

P

PrinceHamsap

izzit parametric pre-amp ?
i am considering one as well ...

sound difference??

Viperize

Apr 12, 2005
PrinceHamsap said:
izzit parametric pre-amp ?
i am considering one as well ...

sound difference??
Yes, parametric 5 band with sub out.

This MKQ-5S beat my previous kennon preamp.

Wondering will there be more improvement by adding another 3-way electronic crossover... any sifu here pls explain

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, Pre-amp function in audio is..it can accept more than 1 HU in 1 system..example home audio...U can connect Cd player, VCD, DVD, FM/AM Tuner & etc... In car audio a lot ppl misunderstanding about pre-amp & invest on it... U can check on your Pre-amp...How many Rca has been connect to it from your HU...the answer is only 1pair (left/right)...if your HU have rear/non fading, sub output than you just wasted time & money... If you have 2 unit HU than it worth to use it...every pre-amp have switch..either you can play HU1 or HU2.. Did know where you get idea to use pre-amp...you should go to x/over in the first place not a pre-amp.. dont compare with accs shop..they use 2 or more pre-amp due to alot amp & speaker in ...coz this is a cheaper way to them...

Pjam

Known Member
May 31, 2005
sj
.. agreed.. the so-called pre-amp is a waste of money, better spend it on a good head unit, sound proofing etc.. :cool: :cool:

Viperize

Apr 12, 2005
Pjam said:
.. agreed.. the so-called pre-amp is a waste of money, better spend it on a good head unit, sound proofing etc.. :cool: :cool:
I see... but for those who always listen to different type of music like switching from pop-disco-techno-r&b-classic.... it will be much easier right ? from wat i get la :) more fun to play haha

DJThoRmented

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Viperize said:
I see... but for those who always listen to different type of music like switching from pop-disco-techno-r&b-classic.... it will be much easier right ? from wat i get la :) more fun to play haha
Says who? :tongue:

If not because my HU has no Sub volume and my XO Sub volume remote koyak I'd never use the PreAmp. My PreAmp is only used for Sub volume as when my son rides at the back and this nice low low bass song comes alive I'll have to slow down my sub or LB will kill me :wink:

But tube PreAmp ain't a waste though... he he he :wink:

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
I don't have a pre-amp but I do wanna give my 2 cents, If I am not mistaken, the reason someone uses a pre-amp is to control the signals that comes out. Also to get a flat signal response from your system. With a RTA (real time analyzer), you can really tune to that level.

You have those 7 band, or 13 band graphic equalizer in the old days. They suppose to serve the same purpose. The good side with a parametric pre amp is, you can adjust the frequency where you choose to boost or cut the signal. You can also adjust the slope (narrow/wide). However, these days, high or even mid end HU might come with these feature already. One example is the Pioneer DEH-5750MP (I am not using this HU, but I do want one :) ).

I don't dare to explain more as I'm a newbie.

Please get more info from www.bcae1.com and the jlaudio site. You should be able to understand the uses of pre-amps such as equalizer and crossover.

Hope this helps.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, fairly new to this page. Well I currently own a wira running on 4g15 MT fuel injection.
Im planning to swap to 4g91. Can this be done by just transplant the engine without changing the gearbox?

Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience