Electric motors? The future?

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
not entirely sure if the facts of wiki is 100% right, but it does have that decent amount of horse power which is very impressive for an electric motor

tesla model s vs BMW M5
Tesla Model S vs BMW M5 Drag Race - YouTube

worls fastest electric racing car
World's fastest electric racing car can reach speeds of OVER 185 MPH and is set to compete at next year's Le Mans event | Mail Online

Fast battery swap
Tesla Model S - Battery Swap HD Official - YouTube

So what do you guys think?

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Pretty certain it will go big way if it can run for a day with a full charge like my Samsung. Better still if it comes with replaceable battery unlike iPhone, just swap and go. The need to stay in a motel just to wait for the battery to fully charge up is a bad idea.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Electric motors do produce an impressive amount of torque, which would explain the acceleration figures.

The next step where you can either :

1) swap batteries easily if your current one runs out of juice, or
2)a charging station where it'll take no more than 5 minutes to charge your battery up

If one of this is possible (which is big ask, currently), there's no reason why electric vehicles can't be the next big thing.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Doesn't even have any exhaust so no sound at all which feels a bit boring.
Instantaneous torque feels like a kick in the balls. Hardly boring.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Originally Posted by RENESIS VIII

like he said a bit oni, like coffee wit taste but no smell, where the smell play & important role:rofl:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

like he said a bit oni, like coffee wit taste but no smell, where the smell play & important role:rofl:
Like doing physical activities with no [strike]moan[/strike] grunt?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

I know electric cars are very fast. But still, the exhaust note is like a part of a car's character. So it feels like lack of something.

For example like reading. I still think reading with a real paper book feels better than reading an e book. How should I say it... It was something like the feeling.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I know electric cars are very fast. But still, the exhaust note is like a part of a car's character. So it feels like lack of something.

For example like reading. I still think reading with a real paper book feels better than reading an e book. How should I say it... It was something like the feeling.
Try reading with an Amazon Paperwhite. It feels like paper. I'm ready to go paperless, except toilet paper and tissue paper. That one I still prefer physical over digital.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Once, human love the sound of external combustion...
Then the internal combustion with popping exhaust...
American still loves their unequal length manifold V8..we call them oldskool...
Engine went smoother...no more big displacement...comes small displacement with high rpm...
Comes exhaust and intake tuning..they call it sound engineering...
Now the age of turbo engine...natural silencer there..

Why not electric motor for the future?...in RC world, at first people hate electric power...
Now the electric RC plane, helicopter, car, buggy goes faster and faster...breaking record everywhere...can play indoor...during rain...tuning is more like ECU tuning..dynamic timing, boost rate...no more messing with carburators...bigger (heavier) engine size? nah, just gimme lower turn motor...

Its the future...no more LSD...no more transfer axle for 4/AWD...no more reverse gear...heck, no more gearbox...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I love this car. It can only dream to own it as it is out of reach. For those who knows me, they will know I am a petrolhead. Always hungry for power and torque and nice exhaust note.

But this guy, Elon Musk, is truly inspiring. Try to think, combustion have to be reduce some day. Reduced considerably. We might not like this now but things do evolve. We might like it in the future. Remember the old diesel days? Black smoke, bulls**t performance, noisy etc. Look at the euro diesels now! And for this Tesla model S, it can go up to a range of 480 km!!! Remember when electric cars had a range of only 100+ km?

I myself might not like it now. But as an environmental scientist, I do believe that in the future, most thing have to go electric. And I salute this guy, Elon Musk for having the balls to pioneer something so new and risky. I suggest that we have the time, please view the youtube video "Megafactories - Tesla Model S". It's a National geographic documentary "Megafactories".

Try to understand and share his vision.

Megafactories - Tesla Model S | Zinatnieks Science TV - YouTube

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I strongly believe the future for cars and bikes will be electric power. Battery technology are becoming more advanced and even carbon fibre is mass produced now (like those in BMW i3 and i8). I guess in less than 15 years more than 50% of all new cars will be electric powered.

Also, one big advantage of electric cars that is often overlooked is that it doesn't need a lot of maintenance. No engine oil, no spark plugs, no air filter etc.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'd take this Tesla over a Ferrari anyday. Not because it's electric, because it looks so-damn-good!

My only problem with electric cars is range. As of today most if not all electric vehicles have rubbish range. Flat out it'll probably reduce the range even more. Sepang races would be the most boring in the world since after probably 5 laps you'll have to stop to recharge for 8 hours.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, i am driving satria with first gen mivec. Unfortunately my alternator worn out recently. Is there any alternative for replacement since the same mivec alternator is really hard to find. Thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience