ECU remap

wabbott

May 4, 2016
Wellington
Hi guys,
No haters please.

Bang for buck what are the best mods for the Airtrek?

And roughly how much horsepower would you get running 1 bar of boost on stock internals minus a decat?

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
Hey there! I would strongly suggest a tdo 5 turbo, evo 8/9 stock exhaust manifold, evo 9 front mount intercooler, and sti pink 565cc injectors. With ecu flash tuning, this should get you a decent 1.4-1.5 bar boost and 300+whp. With additional high cams such as gsc stage 1 or hks 272 and adjustable cam pulleys, you can push for 330 - 350 whp with this setup, boosting approximately 1.5-1.6+ bar.

If you want to stick to 1 bar of boost, the stock tdo 4 turbo with stock top mount intercooler can push about 260-270whp max with about 1.2-1.3bar boost. this would still need a larger fuel pump, fuel injectors (sti pink are great) and fuel regulator as well. the tdo4 is maxed out at such a boost and might not last very long though. The exhaust manifold of the tdo4 turbo is also much less resistant to heat and corrosion as compared to the stock evo 8/9 exhaust manifolds (for tdo 5 turbos).

Regarding the best bang for buck, I guess it depends on how much whp you are looking at. The evo 9/8 tdo 5, stock evo exhaust manifold, front mount intercooler, injectors and hks 272 cams with adjustable cam pulleys are the best bet in my opinion. Built to last, better fuel economy and a huge difference from stock tdo 4. Also in both setups, you'll need a boost controller (either manual or electronic are both fine), larger fuel pump (I use AEM but I heard DW is great as well), larger fuel injectors (sti pink are great for direct plug and play - note that these injectors need to be high impedance types or you will need to add a resistor pack to prevent frying your ecu), and fuel regulator (such as sard, tomioka). Tuning can be done directly on the stock ecu through reflash with a suitable software. Do also be mindful that the tdo 5 setup might require a slightly larger downpipe and maybe decat to avoid choking. The stock muffler is sufficient for airflow if you can operate it to make the flow smoother. Don't have to necessarily use Apexi N1 which is rather noisy in my opinion.

Hope this info has been useful!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hey there! I would strongly suggest a tdo 5 turbo, evo 8/9 stock exhaust manifold, evo 9 front mount intercooler, and sti pink 565cc injectors. With ecu flash tuning, this should get you a decent 1.4-1.5 bar boost and 300+whp. With additional high cams such as gsc stage 1 or hks 272 and adjustable cam pulleys, you can push for 330 - 350 whp with this setup, boosting approximately 1.5-1.6+ bar.

If you want to stick to 1 bar of boost, the stock tdo 4 turbo with stock top mount intercooler can push about 260-270whp max with about 1.2-1.3bar boost. this would still need a larger fuel pump, fuel injectors (sti pink are great) and fuel regulator as well. the tdo4 is maxed out at such a boost and might not last very long though. The exhaust manifold of the tdo4 turbo is also much less resistant to heat and corrosion as compared to the stock evo 8/9 exhaust manifolds (for tdo 5 turbos).

Regarding the best bang for buck, I guess it depends on how much whp you are looking at. The evo 9/8 tdo 5, stock evo exhaust manifold, front mount intercooler, injectors and hks 272 cams with adjustable cam pulleys are the best bet in my opinion. Built to last, better fuel economy and a huge difference from stock tdo 4. Also in both setups, you'll need a boost controller (either manual or electronic are both fine), larger fuel pump (I use AEM but I heard DW is great as well), larger fuel injectors (sti pink are great for direct plug and play - note that these injectors need to be high impedance types or you will need to add a resistor pack to prevent frying your ecu), and fuel regulator (such as sard, tomioka). Tuning can be done directly on the stock ecu through reflash with a suitable software. Do also be mindful that the tdo 5 setup might require a slightly larger downpipe and maybe decat to avoid choking. The stock muffler is sufficient for airflow if you can operate it to make the flow smoother. Don't have to necessarily use Apexi N1 which is rather noisy in my opinion.

Hope this info has been useful!
really good findings there weiye. How much power can the Airtrek take with factory automatic transmission though?

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
yeah around 330-350whp should be about right. Actually its the torque that will kill the trans a lot faster, or at least the centre differential. haha just sharing what I've learnt so far. Still a long way to go compared to many sifus here.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
My trek doesn't have tonnes of power. Just 270whp and 370wtq. Gearbox still runs strong without addtional oil cooler. I only had the front center diff replaced as the gears were almost all worn out. Airtrek's diff is made from lower quality steel compared to Evo's. So my replacement is from E6.

The signs of worn out center diff is when you shift from D to R, you'll hear a crank sound as if the long shaft is loose.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My trek doesn't have tonnes of power. Just 270whp and 370wtq. Gearbox still runs strong without addtional oil cooler. I only had the front center diff replaced as the gears were almost all worn out. Airtrek's diff is made from lower quality steel compared to Evo's. So my replacement is from E6.

The signs of worn out center diff is when you shift from D to R, you'll hear a crank sound as if the long shaft is loose.
I have heard that Airtrek are de-tuned Evo engine but use lower quality steel?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
That's what I've been told by Ah Wah. He said many trek suffers the front center diff gear wearing out and the only solution is to replace the same from Evos and it'll solve the problem permenantly. I used to have a pic of it but deleted already in my phone.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
And apparently, eventhough the engine is the same (4G63T), Airtrek's engine overall has a lot of difference in terms of specs and built quality. The 40hp lesser (280hp vs 240hp) isn't only the turbo but a lot more... it's more than skin deep.

wabbott

May 4, 2016
Wellington
What size FMIC is everyone using on their Airtreks? Is 600x280x76 to small? Also, I've heard about not needing to replace the TMIC but more so upgrading the piping, where are people getting this piping from? Would you say for a mildish tune (lsay 210-250whp) its worth upgrading to FMIC?

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
What size FMIC is everyone using on their Airtreks? Is 600x280x76 to small? Also, I've heard about not needing to replace the TMIC but more so upgrading the piping, where are people getting this piping from? Would you say for a mildish tune (lsay 210-250whp) its worth upgrading to FMIC?
Well you can just get the OEM Lancer EVO ones.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
With your expectation of 210whp, TMIC is adequate. In fact the advantage of TMIC is response. Since the piping route is a lot shorter than FMIC's, you get boost almost instantly with TD04.

Before FMIC, I used TMIC with steel piping. Upgrade of steel piping is worth every penny if you plan to stick with the original intercooler. The stock rubber becomes soft under hot afternoons and when high boost, it tends to expand loosing pressure. I felt the difference immediately after installing in terms of response.

Back to your expectation of 210whp. You can keep everything almost stock. Just boost controller to up the boost to 1.2 bar, full exhaust, intake and DYNO TUNE, you get good power and perfect response. 210whp is not hard to achieve... good luck!

My old setup.

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
for anything lower than 280whp i would say keep the tmic....

hek...even my scooby friends a lot with 300-340hp still keeping the tmic...

since now im running FMIC on my stock td04 forester... i can feel the lag and slow boost build up even with small IC core size and normal piping size.....

wabbott

May 4, 2016
Wellington
wow, thanks for the information guys.
i had a troll around on the internet to try and find some pre-made steel piping that will fit our car, but nothing, does anyone know where I could order it online? or if anyone has some to sell? thanks :)

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
I won't be too sure if you can hit 220-280whp on tdo 4 and just stainless steel pipes. I was using similar stainless steel pipes, tdo 4, and higher boost but didn't cross 200whp although I was boosting 1.2-1.3 bar and the tdo 4 was maxed out.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It hasn’t been that long really but the engineers at Nissan already have a round of improvements in store for next year’s 370Z as well as for the Nismo version.

However, the changes are limited to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience