E39 - a simple start to detailing.

wuzzles

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
I wasn't planning to share my newbie attempts of interior car detailing. However my sifu, KC2 who has been giving me a lot of advice and encouragement has again encourage me to come out of my comfort zone. So, here I share....

Just a bit of a background. About 3 months back, I embark on restoring a '97 e39. Due to budget constraints, I had to compromise on a few things to achieve a vision that was in my head. So buying a well kept '03 wasn't possible. The car I bought was stock standard and the first owner seems to have kept it as good as possible (but he didn't go out of the way to preserve it). 15 years of "good enough" amounts to a lot of bad stuff as well.

I spoke to KC2 a couple of times over the phone while my car was still at the painters/tint etc and the first night I officially could drive it home, I looked for him first. My intention was to get a quote for him to detail my interior but after spending 1 hours plus sharing his info and experience, he planted the seed - Inception style. The next time I called him, it was not to make an appointment but to get my hands of a couple of things to start me off!

Due to time constraints, I spend maybe 30 minute on and off and work on one or two parts at a time. With the magical potion (Alien Clean) and in the correct portion, I manage to bring some part of the interior back to life.

Based on my experience so far, the plastic+dash+vinyl is easy to do. If you just keep at it slowly and patiently, you can get to a "clean base". I have reach my happy point here.

The carpet & fabric are slightly challenging just with OPC and a simple vacuum. Some of the stain is probably been there since 1997! So I don't expect it to get this back to showroom but I plan to give the car one more pass probably with a help of a stronger or wet vacuum(??) and some OPC where there are faint stain marks.

The leather seats are beige but it's a b*tch to clean as well. You see, I consciously CHOOSE this interior color because I feel when you can get it back to clean, it really "shows" the car very well. However, as I'm detailing it, I'm a bit worried of how much cleaning can I keep at it before I start damaging the leather. It's easier with plastic to know when to stop. Any tips?

ps. sorry for the shoddy pictures. Obviously my picture taking skills are as bad as my detailing skills! hahahah I have a lot to learn before lil' grass hopper can do this....

:adore:
Thanks KC for the encouragement. I've realized it is not as tough as one would think but it will come with experience and sharing. So, please do share you comments and corrections

Last edited:

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Its great that you are embarking on this journey. Nice job!

The proper products and techniques make detailing much easier....

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
KC can u pls detail my interior? I say 'NO'

I wasn't planning to share my newbie attempts of interior car detailing. However my sifu, KC2 who has been giving me a lot of advice and encouragement has again encourage me to come out of my comfort zone. So, here I share....
Thanks KC for the encouragement. I've realized it is not as tough as one would think but it will come with experience and sharing. So, please do share you comments and corrections
Thanks buddy.....for sharing yr heart felt ......encouragement
Detailing is rather hard to start and dont know where to begin from. Embarking into the unknown Journey rather seems scary at times

I am glad I didnt take your job(detailing your interior) otherwise you wouldnt know you have missed out in life....

when you first called me & met up...I had not intention to detail for you, as I see most of yr detail can be done yrself.....I risked ....as always (explain & train you ) Empowering others.... making others better than myself.... or helping countless/others to make more $$$$$$....

Now that you know ...the kind of effort u need to put in for this detail & I assure you "that you can enjoy & will take good care of it too)
for it doesnt cost you hundreds RM to get yrself detail

....Car detailing is all about - True Ownership "with true satisfaction"
My achievement is - making you to have a sense Ownership....

Thank you my fellow Detailien - and I will see u in the round table knight meetings (in our coming hands on car detailing Clinic)

Blessed are those who gives...& they will be given more

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Another humble beginning of a new Alien.......

This time coming from the inside (interior). When I first started, I was concentrating on the exterior maintenance and Sifu KC like you said planted the seed (inception style).

It has been well over a year since I first met KC and was introduced to detailing and let me tell you, the satisfaction you get is priceless seeing your own sweat and blood (yes sometimes it really does involve blood) come to fruit.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Haha.. Seems like you did a pretty fine job to me. You really brought back the life of those plastics. Don't worry so much la...

wuzzles

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Thank you very much for the kinds words and encouragement. Just a bit of elbow grease and correct product and technique... can be done by amateurs as well :)

Question : How do you get light colour carpets back to it's (almost) original colour? If wet vacuuming the way to go? I've OPC's most of the really visibile stains but wondering if this is the way to go for it?

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Its great that you are embarking on this journey. Nice job!

The proper products and techniques make detailing much easier....
Another humble beginning of a new Alien.......

This time coming from the inside (interior). When I first started, I was concentrating on the exterior maintenance and Sifu KC like you said planted the seed (inception style).

It has been well over a year since I first met KC and was introduced to detailing and let me tell you, the satisfaction you get is priceless seeing your own sweat and blood (yes sometimes it really does involve blood) come to fruit.
Thanks D.A. The reason why I started with the interior is because the outside has just been freshly painted. The finish does have all the micro scracthes even from Day1 but it was from the paint polishing process. Was advised to let it be for 90 days before starting on correction.

Last edited:

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Thank you very much for the kinds words and encouragement. Just a bit of elbow grease and correct product and technique... can be done by amateurs as well :)

Question : How do you get light colour carpets back to it's (almost) original colour? If wet vacuuming the way to go? I've OPC's most of the really visibile stains but wondering if this is the way to go for it?

Thanks D.A. The reason why I started with the interior is because the outside has just been freshly painted. The finish does have all the micro scracthes even from Day1 but it was from the paint polishing process. Was advised to let it be for 90 days before starting on correction.
Keep up the good work

Starbucks Latte stained carpet

ta da

Must be with RM 2500 Imported wet & dry Vacuum -

Pls read on

My Secret

Now try

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Everybody in the motoring world is eagerly awaiting Mini's return to the World Rally Championship (WRC) but nobody is more excited as the marque itself, and understandably so. They're showing off their rally machine, the Countryman WRC, every oppurtunity they get and lucky us that cameras were on hand at the official launch a while back.

There's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience