Dyno'ed the R33 GTR - Dyno Sheet, Pictures & Videos Inside

ouhhyeah

Oct 5, 2008
my stock bnr34 has about 350hp on wheel but only 38 torque, running at 1.0 bar max. Is the torque figure too low? How can I increase the torque figure without have to modify the engine and turbo, perhaps the exhaust? Any sifu please enlighten me... Tq

Loki

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
whatadrive.blogspot.com
my stock bnr34 has about 350hp on wheel but only 38 torque, running at 1.0 bar max. Is the torque figure too low? How can I increase the torque figure without have to modify the engine and turbo, perhaps the exhaust? Any sifu please enlighten me... Tq
The only way to really get torque gain is via camshafts and adjustable cam gears. Unfortunately, that means modifying the engine. You get a power gain by changing the exhaust, due to better flow, but no gains in torque.

Below is a dyno graph featuring a Nissan RB26, complete with aftermarket exhaust, ECU tune, and 1 bar (14.7 PSI) of boost pressure. The red line represents mods. The blue line represents those mods plus the adjustable cam gears.

The owner of this engine is a member on Skylines Australia, and he claimed that the cams required five adjustments to obtain the power increase that you see here. Impressive large gain in power, but what really jumps at you is the mid range torque improvement.

Last edited:

ouhhyeah

Oct 5, 2008
thanks loki, but any other alternatives than to modify the engine? i prefer to keep my car stock, at least for now. anyway, does low torque mean the engine is less responsive when the turbos are not boosting?

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
thanks loki, but any other alternatives than to modify the engine? i prefer to keep my car stock, at least for now. anyway, does low torque mean the engine is less responsive when the turbos are not boosting?
Yes, off boost response is when you have more torque. In fact, would also help the turbos to spool faster and earlier than standard. If you want more torque yet want to keep the car stock, well I'm sure you know the answer to that.

But GTRs aren't the best or most responsive cars especially when moving off in 1st gear from standstill. And at low revs, there isn't much to shout about so I understand what it is you're trying to improve but you need to be willing to have some modifications at least.

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
What kind of clutch and flywheel you use? Lighten flywheel do improve the engine response but
less torque on mid-high rev. Gaining torque without mod....hmm setting low tires pressure, use grip tires, light wheel and medium size tires (over 265 is too wide & heavy) so that you can put all the power to ground and get the torque.

Perhaps during dyno your car not getting a good grip hence it showing only 38kg/m...<---on 4WD?

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
RBs are oversquare engines, so it's not about torque hehehehe. Want torque, go for a V8. :p

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Ask Gobiz how to get more torque.

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
Guys, not mean to hijack Loki's thread but i have just found that one of my air flow meter's net is broken. I don't know was it broken before i have own the car but the boost stucks at 0.6 bar since then! Is it because of the broken air flow meter or other might cause the problem?

ouhhyeah

Oct 5, 2008
Bro kaminari, according to my mechanic, my bnr still using the factory clutch and hasn't been changed yet. Car almost reaching 100k mileage but there's still no sign of slipping or rough shifting.. is 38kg/m torque consider low in rb26? Probably some upgrades will help, coz even the downpipe of my car is stock.. any other suggestions for me? tq all...

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Guys, not mean to hijack Loki's thread but i have just found that one of my air flow meter's net is broken. I don't know was it broken before i have own the car but the boost stucks at 0.6 bar since then! Is it because of the broken air flow meter or other might cause the problem?
Are you sure that is all thats broken? If something got through and managed to break your AFM mesh then it I'm sure you know where it would have ended up eventually. But I highly doubt that a broken mesh on its own is causing the problem. Plus even if the probe or whatever you call it inside the AFM was broken cause no mesh to stop things flying in, your A/Fs would be all over the place and you'd probably have noticed it.

What happened? Just suddenly driving, car wouldn't boost past 0.6 bar then you removed filters and noticed the AFM wire mesh was broken?

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
haha thanks pimpin, noticed that the sensor is fine tho the net is broken. In this case i might just drive till its gone for real then get a MAP instead.

i was replacing the A/C compressor in the morning and found that the net is broken and i wonder why :/ but still, 0.6bar for stock? can anyone classify this? I have been search in any forums or google around but still couldnt find one...

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
haha thanks pimpin, noticed that the sensor is fine tho the net is broken. In this case i might just drive till its gone for real then get a MAP instead.

i was replacing the A/C compressor in the morning and found that the net is broken and i wonder why :/ but still, 0.6bar for stock? can anyone classify this? I have been search in any forums or google around but still couldnt find one...
How long have you not been able to boost past 0.6 bar? It definitely would be more. Even changing your exhaust causes the boost to rise slightly.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Bro kaminari, according to my mechanic, my bnr still using the factory clutch and hasn't been changed yet. Car almost reaching 100k mileage but there's still no sign of slipping or rough shifting.. is 38kg/m torque consider low in rb26? Probably some upgrades will help, coz even the downpipe of my car is stock.. any other suggestions for me? tq all...
Bro, I think just to expand further on what kaminari suggested. Changing the flywheel does not increase the actual torque figure of the engine. Its not going to magically produce more power but it makes a difference especially when moving off from stationary. But like what kaminari said, it also works both ways. While driving, if you release the throttle completely then the revs will drop faster as well I believe.

Slighty OT - 100k on a stock clutch especially on a GTR isn't ideal. You might not think its slipping now, but maybe because the car is totally stock standard. Perhaps, the clutch is also responsible for why you feel that the car lacks power. When clutches are first starting to slip, there is a momentary lapse before it starts to grip and you might be interpreting that as a lack of torque or power down low. That's because the clutch can't engage the flywheel initially. Try driving off from standstill in a higher gear. If the revs rise but the car struggles to move then its slipping.

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site

I still have my 2 stock afms in my car although i'm not using them since i changed to map. If ur interested, i could sell it to u. Though changing to map is a good idea bro ;)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): Nothing wrong with a replica version of the real thing - This E60 is too hot a widebody BMW not to be appreciated and much better compared to the gazillion MFives out there :) <b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience