Driven: Volkswagen Polo GTI

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Gran Turismo Iniezione. This is the acronym for the famous GTI badge, and is used across the go-faster Volkswagen range. The Mk5 Polo is the latest in the family to be gifted the GTI badge, and I had the opportunity to find out if the Polo could match bite with bark. I’ve never driven a supermini before, and reading the spec sheet made me really look forward to driving it.

Let’s quickly dispense with the usual statistics; we all know by now that the Polo GTI employs the same 1.4-litre twincharged unit used in the Golf and Scirocco, except with a higher state of tune – 180PS at 6,200rpm and 250Nm at 2,000 – 4,500rpm. These figures best the TSI models by 20PS and 10Nm, and 30PS from its (Mk4 Polo) predecessor. As can be expected, the Polo GTI also gets a 7-speed DSG transmission and comes with an electronic transverse diff lock, to assist distribution of torque to minimize torque steer, as standard. Collectively, the tech translates to a zerotohundred sprint of 6.9secs and a top speed of 229km/h and, let’s be honest, these are impressive numbers.

GTI lines and badge, coupled with honeycomb grille. Looks really good

17" Detroits look similar to the 19" Denvers on the Golf GTI.

More GTI cues on the rear...

Visually, the Polo GTI seems to be a marked improvement over the Polo TSI; the former gaining GTI livery, honeycomb grilles, 17” Detroit alloys wrapped in 215/40 rubber, bi-Xenons and Daytime Running Lights LEDs. These additions give the Polo proper visual presence. Parked next to a Golf GTI, passer-bys would have to look twice to really determine which is what, at least from the front. From the rear, the Polo’s tail lights actually look better than those on the Golf.

Jumping from the Golf TSI into the Polo GTI, one thing was immediately obvious – the severe lack of space. I struggled to fasten my seatbelt, no thanks in part to the design of the rather large sports seats up front, and the centre arm-rest/console that was in the way. The arm-rest can be moved upright and that frees up a little more space, but accidentally open it and, as I had the misfortune of finding out, all your belongings will be strewn into the back. While there aren’t many storage compartments, I had no trouble finding cubby holes to place my wallet, phone, SmartTag, keys, etc. On the (literally) bright side, the sunroof does help to give an impression of space. Another plus point was the black/white themed RCD310 – a change from the usual blue/black display in the Golf and Scirocco, and is much easier on the eyes.

View of the inside; small and compact. Btw, notice how the controls are angled towards the driver?

Panoramic tilt/slide sunroof is an added bonus!

Finally, an RCD310 unit that doesn't have the horrid blue/black display.

'Jacky' themed seats, with those subtle GTI stitching gives a retro-modern feel.

Now comes the part I’ve really been looking forward to – driving the Polo GTI. As you turn the key to start the car, you hear the burbling sounds as it settles at idle, and you realize immediately that this supermini has got character. This Polo GTI loses the distinct sound of gear-change from the Golf GTI, but instead gains an impressive engine note – gruff, rorty, enthusiastic. As you gun the throttle, you will notice a slight amount of torque steer; not enough to cause an accident, but enough to put a smile on the face of enthusiasts. There is plenty of poke in this pocket rocket, and you can feel it just wanting to keep going.

In terms of handling, the Polo GTI continues to shine through. Steering is precise and responsive, providing plenty of feedback. The tyres provide decent amount of grip; turn in to a corner and the nose tucks in keenly and as you power out, there is a flash of ESP light before the rubbers find grip and rockets forward, The nimble characteristics of this car is the sort that inspires drivers to test their limits when taking corners. Ride quality was harsh – expectedly, as it had to match the zing of this supermini. Surface imperfections are communicated directly to the posteriors of all the occupants inside. Enthusiastic drivers will like this trait – hunkered down, and sports car like, but passengers will likely not appreciate the extra input to their butts. Stopping at high speeds does not pose a problem to the Polo GTI; there is sufficient bite, but the pedals do feel a little spongy, and this will take some getting used to. That said, I do feel that the Polo GTI would benefit with more responsive brakes, especially considering its thuggish attitude.

Small, but torquey powerplant gives 180PS, 250Nm, and a zerotohundred sprint of 6.9secs!

On the subject of safety, it is the usual abbreviations – ABS, EBD, ESP, TCS, along with six airbags, and a 5-star EURO NCAP rating. There are also other features – LED daytime running lights, panoramic sunroof, rain sensors, central locking, power windows, cruise control, and park distance control on the rear. It is interesting to note that it felt more cramped in the rear of the Polo GTI than it did in a Polo TSI, and I suspect that this could be due to the bigger sports seats in the GTI. Boot space has also similarly received a slight reduction in size. Worth mentioning also is the struggle I faced while trying to adjust the side mirrors. The button placement for these controls are angled ever so slightly, and my brain struggled to cope. Could be an issue with the driver only, of course.

Controls for the side mirror seem oddly placed, and I struggled to adapt.

The first Polo to gain bi-Xenons, and LED daytime running lights.

Space is an issue; can get claustrophobic inside with five adults.

The Polo GTI is small. It is very small, especially considering the size of the cars you could buy at this price range; even I must admit that I did not like the lack of space inside. However, driving it has proved to be such an engaging experience. In the four days that I had the Polo GTI, I actually went through three tanks of petrol – the first tank only lasted 270km; no thanks in part to my heavy right foot, the second lasted 340km but provided an equal amount of fun, and on the third tank I managed 150km before I had to return the car. Truthfully, I just wanted to keep on driving it! It really was that much fun! For the sake of comparison, we tested the Polo GTI against the Golf GTI in a drag race, and discovered that the Polo was actually a little faster off the mark. However, the Golf does have Launch Control, and with that engaged, the Polo did not stand a chance. I must admit I also participated in a few traffic light drag races, which ended with surprising results. Stark in memory was when chasing an SL350 in the middle of the night; the Polo GTI was unable to outpace the SL350 (of course!), but the Merc was also unable to lose the competition.

Are you able to tell which is the Polo, and which is the Golf?

L-R: Polo GTI, Golf GTI, Polo TSI.

Six different colours are offered on the Polo GTI – Candy White (as tested), Flash Red, Black (solid), Reflex Silver, Shadow Blue, and Deep Black (pearl). It comes in either three-door (RM132,888) or five-door (RM135,888) guise. If there was an option to buy the Polo GTI in Carbon Steel Grey, I know I would have already placed an order for the three-door variant…

Such a fantastic, nippy, little car.

Polo GTI doing a bull run?

I finally had to hand the keys back...

...and believe me when I say I didn't really want to.

Volkswagen Polo GTI: 0-100km/h & 0-160km/h acceleration - YouTube

As a conclusion to our three car shoot-out: Scirocco TSI, Golf TSI, and Polo GTI, which one would we pick? We’ve mentioned before that all three share the same EA111 twincharged engine and are priced within RM30,000 of each other, so how does this work out in the real world?. It is quite clear that each car caters to different needs – the Scirocco is stylish and classy, whilst the Golf is more useful and practical, but just as fun to drive. And what about the Polo GTI? Simply put, the Polo GTI is the one that stays closest to the Zerotohundred namesake, and is the one we would go for.

Polo GTI
Zerotohundred: 6.9secs
Top Speed: 240km/h (tested)
Engine: 1.4L twincharged 4-cylinder, direct injection
Power: 180PS / 6,200 rpm
Torque: 250Nm / 2,000 – 4,500 rpm
Weight: 1269kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km (combined, claimed)
Wheels: 7J x 17”
Tyres: 215/40 R17
Price: RM132,888 (3-door) / RM135,888 (5-door)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
very good oppurtunity and write up, will u trade ur car for it?

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Kevin, unfortunately this is still not within reach in terms of my budget. Super tempting to take the leap, though.

ThienWu; thanks for highlighting that. Missed out that part from a copy & paste error. Fixed now!

rayncc

Apr 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
This is my most awaited review of the trio of new VWs. Good write up. However the top speed : 240km/h (as tested); was it a typo?; bcoz VW quoted a lower 229km/h?

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Not a typo. Officially, VW does quote 229km/h as the top speed, but I managed 240km/h (tracked on a GPS as well) when I drove it. Was mildly surprised it managed that speed at all. That said, the Polo GTI does lack top end, so it will take time, and lots of clear road to achieve that.

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
the 1.4 tsi engine must be a wonderful lil gem! but yeah,a car half the price of most european exotics, is just a wonder!

rayncc

Apr 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Top speed of 240km/h is truly amazing given that it's powered by a puny 1.4L, notwithstanding that it's twin charged. In real world, wonder till what speed can it match or follow the elder Golf GTI until the latter can shake it off.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Once it goes past 120km/h or so is when the Golf GTI gains an advantage, and starts pulling ahead. While the Polo GTI completes the zerotohundred sprint in a blazing 6.9secs, 0-160km/h took significantly longer at 19secs. It lacks in the top end, definitely and the old saying "There is no replacement for displacement" holds true.

But if you want to consider bang for buck, it doesn't get any better than this (imo, anyway).

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
value for money? definitely not, in malaysia

way too expensive from what it designed to be.

this car is for 18 years old boy who just got license recently, that's why it's at "Golden Displacement" 1.4L
cuz it cheapest insurance rate for decent car.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Believe me when I say I was surprised with the results as well! On the highways, there is no doubt that the SL350 would have left the Polo GTI smelling fumes, but on two-lane roads, the baby GTI certainly impressed.

Btw; thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to arrange some reviews on diesel and hybrid cars, just so that they can be compared against the new breed of efficient petrol engines. Hopefully, things work out, so stay tuned for that!

intrigue83

From Facebook
Sep 15, 2011
www.facebook.com
unfortunately, this car doesn't work well with big size ppl. haha.. went to the showroom and polo gti is damn small for my size. Otherwise, i'm already at the queue list.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey people i'll like to find out if a mitsubishi 4G63 SOHC could fit in a nissan micra ??? I would like to know if that's possible?? Or should I go with a GA15 sentra engine????:hmmmm::hmmmm:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience