double vanos vs vtec

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
Vtec fast because Honda using race spec cam profile which make engine able to high rev, High Compression ratio and most important close gear ratio.
Vanos is just VVT-i which enable cam timing advance and retard .cam profile remain same as street car.
Bmw engine oso can achieve more than 100hp/L just with simple high profile cam swap but more important is gear ratio. the more bigger gear, the more torque on wheel

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Vtec usually mounted on lighter chasis compare to Vanos or Double Vanos engine so comparing power to weight ratio of course Vtec will win for sure...Like artworkz said BMW or toyota engine also can achieve more than 100bhp/litre not only Vtec but for me the important thing is the power to weight ratio. :driver:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
what i know is,
Honda VTEC is like having race/aggressive camshaft profile at higher rpm/predetermine rpm setting..
valve open more -> more air/fuel = more power

but at normal rpm, it will use normal camshaft profile.. so u will have normal engine n Fuel Consumption..

its like having both normal n high camshaft in 1 engine..

not sure about Vanos thou..

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

here. i found this article.
Browser Warning

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
vanos is just like VVTi, using street cam profile focus on fuel efficient. vanos is means the cam pulley can be variable timing. btw vanos and double vanos is old thing, newer version is valvetronic which can continue vary cam timing, lift n duration which is much more advance than iVtec

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think they can be compared that way, but I'm more towards valve technologies that changes between different cam profiles like VTEC. It all depends on the engine that does cam profile switching, if the high cam is super aggressive, of course cam profile switching (VTEC) wins, VVTi is just to control the overlap of the intake and exhaust valve.

One is like to change the camshaft, one is to dial the camshaft with adjustable cam pulleys, which will make more power on the same car? My bet would be on cam profile switching (VTEC). Correct me if I'm wrong.

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
VTEC is the same as having 2 sets of cams in your engine. a set of low cam for low to mid RPM and a set of high cam for high RPM. During high RPM, more air needs to be fed into the engine -> longer valve overlap -> needs higher cam duration.

So for the same engine displacement, a high cam would always be faster than a low cam. Vanos is just adjusting the timing of the valve overlap (i.e. moves it forward or backward but not longer or shorter)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Quick question... what can affect the length and sustainability of the threads for your tires??? I used to use Falken tires for my 14" rims and they always got worn out after 8+ mths. So, this time around I decided to change my tires to Goodyear Ducaro 4 tires, hoping this'll lessen my need to change new tires every 8 mths. I don't race, I don't squeal my tires often, but I do sometimes take corners a lil bit on the fast side. Do you tink it could be cos my Falken tires were "softer"...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience