DIY water electrolysis to supply H2 and O2 to engine project

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
hi guys,

i am very interesting to build this project. hopefully it wont screw up.
my idea is to DIY build a water electrolysis and run it when the engine start. thru electrolysis hydrogen and oxygen is produce. then i supply these gas into intake manifold. the idea is to save fuel.
heard that some american has done this and save 50% fuel.
anybody can contribute some idea in here.
the project is in planning stage.

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
anybody interested with this project?

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
bro. forgot already. hehe. hv to search from google again.

karl5511

1,000 RPM
May 31, 2007
More detail...forgot edy what is electrolysis...

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
However, i think this is most ridiculous thing to do, since i still can't think why human should do it.......

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
u can try electrolysis , bt its not practised on cars yet u know why ?
cos u cant supply enuff o2 to make a diffrence , engine flows reallly alotttttt of air :) , bt i would say , try bro :) if its goes big , u get big :D

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
This topic is discussing in DIY thread. Electrolysis will produce Oxyhydrogen Gas (Brown Gas) but not hydrogen or oxygen.

jinkl: I have tested with 50L/h volume flow rate of oxyhydrogen gas, can save 20% of fuel. Its enuf to save petrol but not sufficient to eliminate using of fuel.

Btw, someone is selling this in Malaysia alrd.

hoxy

Known Member
Oct 8, 2007
Im interested into this too... and more im gonna install a water injector some sort into the intake manifold i think. i will check later on whether it involve electrolysis or not. But before that, is it safe to inject water into the intake manifold? my uncle says it makes the fire bigger. Any comments on side effect and its benefit other than fuel saver? If someone could tell me about timing of the valve to intake manifold, maybe i can dig some book and study a bit. If the valve opening time is constant every second, i think should be no problem. But if its differ with certain condition, i give up because this actually requires a feedback system, things complicated like that i pass la.

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
karl5511,
water electrolysis is using electricity to produce O2 and H2 gas. for more info please see here : Electrolysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lennon,
everything has its value. different ppl have different opinion. to me, it sounds exciting and fun and curiosity. no doubt that BMW also has an engine that runs on hydrogen gas.

jinkl,
yes. engine consume a lot air intake which the electrolysis wont be able to supply it sufficiently. moreover there are limitations that is electricity. we only have 12V source. try also no harm larr. have to do some homework.

fritz,
electrolysis produce O2 on positive terminal and H2 on negative terminal. but we still have to supply both into the intake manifold so become oxyhydrogen.
fritz, how actually u supply the O2 H2 into ur intake manifold? thru water electrolysis? share a bit larr bro......

hoxy,
bro i only know got water injection into intercooler. u inject into intake manifold later ur plug rosak. the water is cool, the combustion chamber is hot like hell. what happen when u pour water into ur hot combustion chamber? later on piston crack! plug hangus.
normally they inject water into intercooler to cool down the air inside the intercooler and the water will evaporate before it reaches the valve since it has some route to travel and get evaporate. u inject at intake manifold, its quite dangerous cozs the water cant evaporate that fast and it will suck into the combustion chamber. this is my 2cent opinion. correct me if i am wrong.

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
Northiswara: You really interested to DIY one unit of this? Btw, we have personally bought an oxyhydrogen generator unit to test on it. It is thru electrolysis, drawing 30amps from your battery and generate brown gas. You wont be able to get either oxygen or hydrogen out of that unit but just Oxyhydrogen.

Btw, no matter 12v or 24v...the voltage does not really limit the volume of gas produce but the current does. By adding catalyst, depends on how much you add into the water, then it will draw current from the battery accordingly and also the volume of gas produced dependant to the current drawing from the battery.

I guess u raelly need alot of reading about this system and don't think that the unit can save 50% of fuel. Max it can save 20-30% of fuel with some tuning.

Anyone interested to DIY this thingy? Maybe we can form a team, everyone fund out some $ to get this done. I can see the market.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
lennon,
everything has its value. different ppl have different opinion. to me, it sounds exciting and fun and curiosity. no doubt that BMW also has an engine that runs on hydrogen gas.
Pls do not compare BMW's technology with homemade DIY electrolysis power engine, it's very very different...... BMW is using fuel cell which requires little energy to seperate water into hydrogen n oxygen...... Most importantly, it doesn't create byproduct acid gas which different than normal electrolysis in lab, in normal electrolysis, you need metal and acid to conduct..... You're only reading from the text, not realising from a reallife situation.......

jinkl,
yes. engine consume a lot air intake which the electrolysis wont be able to supply it sufficiently. moreover there are limitations that is electricity. we only have 12V source. try also no harm larr. have to do some homework.
All electric powered item consumes current not voltage, obviously you can't turn electrolysis system on during engine startup, you'll don't have enuff current to run the motor starter...... And if the electrolysis requires lots of current to work, bigger alternator is needed, if not you're car will die off easily and sluggish in acceleration......

hoxy,
bro i only know got water injection into intercooler. u inject into intake manifold later ur plug rosak. the water is cool, the combustion chamber is hot like hell. what happen when u pour water into ur hot combustion chamber? later on piston crack! plug hangus.
normally they inject water into intercooler to cool down the air inside the intercooler and the water will evaporate before it reaches the valve since it has some route to travel and get evaporate. u inject at intake manifold, its quite dangerous cozs the water cant evaporate that fast and it will suck into the combustion chamber. this is my 2cent opinion. correct me if i am wrong.
Obviously you don't know much about water injection...... Water injection has been used for a long time even in world war 2..... Nowadays water injection is used turbo application vehicle, you can mix 50% alcohol n water, that allows 1600hp drag machine to run at 2 bar n above...... Don't be confused that water injection doesn't pour in manifold like normal sprinkle, it's injected at high pressure to create very fine mist....... Mist will absorb the heat from compressed air and hot manifold, which evaporates fairly quickly....... Thus NA car is not adviceble for water injection......

Water injection have few advantages
1) Allow the car to run at leaner AF at higher boost.
2) Reduce detonation and EGT.
3) Clean up the engine by softening the carbon in combustion chamber.

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
yeah i mean oxyhydrogen.
at the mean time was saying that water injection is mostly for turbo car where it is injected to the intercooler. and it is not suitable to inject into the intake manifold for NA engine.

BMW dont use electrolysis. they have a tank for u to pump H2 just like the NGV concept. the fuelcell is to run the motor not supplying H2. overall this electrolysis idea is just a DIY past time project larr bro... dont be too serious. just curious to see the output of this thing. maybe can save 10% fuel. who knows? u wont know til u try it out.

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
bro Lennon,
i was giving my opinion as to advising hoxy of the effect of putting DIY water injection into his intake manifold.
Obviously you don't know much about water injection...... Water injection has been used for a long time even in world war 2..... Nowadays water injection is used turbo application vehicle, you can mix 50% alcohol n water, that allows 1600hp drag machine to run at 2 bar n above...... Don't be confused that water injection doesn't pour in manifold like normal sprinkle, it's injected at high pressure to create very fine mist....... Mist will absorb the heat from compressed air and hot manifold, which evaporates fairly quickly....... Thus NA car is not adviceble for water injection......
as i said b4 i only know water injection is used at the intercooler meaning to say it is used in turbo car larr bro.
dont say til i sound like a katak di bawah tempurung.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151515406372799" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

I was watching this earlier and got quite mad when it got to 1:42 of the video. It was like the thief had it all planned, to follow the BMW while it gets to a set of traffic lights to gain a perfect opportunity to smash its window to nab a bag.

Now, if you were prepared, what would you have done?

Anyone else have car cam footages to share? HTML is enabled in...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience