DIY Painting your Valve cover - Any Colour You Like

Muhammed

Known Member
Sep 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.dezignercustoms.com
Here is Quick DIY to get the Engine Bay Looking Great

This Applies to Engine Covers too and should cost no more than Some Time and Rm50.oo For the Paint

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1. 1 x tin of VHT(Very High Temperature) Wrinkle Paint
2. 1 x Bottle of Clean Green(Degreaser/Detergent)
3. 1 x Roll of Toilet Paper
4. 1 x Hairdryer/Heatgun
5. 1 x Oven
6. Baking Gloves

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

1. clean the VC with a strong detergant to remove all oil Residue/Paint will not bond to an oily surface
2. clean the VC with a strong detergant (Very IMPORTANT)
3. clean the VC with a strong detergant (Very IMPORTANT)
4. clean the VC with a strong detergant (Very IMPORTANT)

( Make Sure you Work in a clean / Dust free Enviroment to achieve maximum effect )

5. rinse in very hot water & wrap in a towel for quick drying or Blow dry with Hairdryer
6. tape/plug up the holes
7. tape/plug up your nose
8. spray very evenly in 1 direction holding the tin about 30cm from the Valve Cover
9. spray each coat in a different direction, the paint is very powdery so don't worry if you don't see the first few coats (Allow 5 / 10 Mins Drying time between each coat , Not Neccesary but would Recommend this Step)
10. after every 5 odd coats, warm up the VC using a hairdryer or heatgun
11. repeat this process until the tin is empty, it should be about 20 odd coats
12. for the guys that need to use the car daily, put the VC in the oven at 120C for about an hour & leave overnight (WARNING - BAKING THE VC FOR TOO LONG WILL CAUSE THE PAINT TO DARKEN) If the Car is not a Daily Driver allow one or two days to Air Dry Fully
13. tape up the areas surrounding the "DOHC VTEC" & sand down carefully using a block wrapped in water paper taking care not to damage the new paint finish

The End Result is Awesome and will make you want to show off your Engine Bay :

:proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud:

ANY questions Feel free to ask

Last edited:

Muhammed

Known Member
Sep 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.dezignercustoms.com
Either Ace Hardware at Ikano Power Centre , Or Most Hardware Stores , Its a Spray Can , If they dont have the item but keep spray paint , Then I am pretty sure they would be able to Order some for you

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Cool man ..Can teach me how to remove it ar ?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
dude,

this is an excellent DIY...but some images of the paint removal process might be very helpful...so that i might work up the courage to try this.

:top:

Muhammed

Known Member
Sep 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.dezignercustoms.com
Thanks Guys

This Applies to a Honda Engine only , Any other Car , you will have to figure out the Best way of removing the Valve Cover

@ Loose_End - Firstly Remove the Plug Cover , so that you can Access the End of the Plug Leads , I think you would need an 8/10mm socket with an Extension Rod to loosen the Plugs , Remove the Plugs , Then Loosen the 4 bolts that hold The Valve cover down , Remove any other Pipes attached to the VC , making a mental note where Everything fits back into place , It is Essential to Remember Which plug came out of Which hole , so make a Diagram First and Remove the Plug leads then mark them 1,2,3,4 and note down the Order, This is to keep the Firing order corect and avoid problems re assembling the VC. Now you can Lift the valve cover Straight up being carefull not to damage the Gasket , as you will need to use this Gasket when replacing the Valve Cover .

@ AD_EG - The Advantange of this DIY is that you do not have to remove the Standard Paint finish thats Currently on the Motor , The Most critical Aspect to ensure a Flawless finish is Cleaning the Valve Cover meticulously, And using a good VHT paint , Any oily residue is definately a Sure way to Spoil your Efforts , Once the VC ( Valve Cover ) is cleaned Properly , Seal off the Holes Where the Plugs go through with Tissue Paper , Ensuring that it is not obstructing any area that will need paint , It must be noted too that once the VC is painted and dry Push the Tissue that you used to seal the plug holes down instead of pulling them up , so there is no risk of peeling(Highly unlikely) , Also Do not put the VC into the oven , with the Tissue Paper still attached :rolleyes: , We do not want you burning the House down to get a Great looking motor ;-) , Its really an Easy DIY Providing you Give Attention to Every Detail .

On Honda K Series Motors , The Engine covers Can be Painted , Removal of the Entire VC is not required , Just Remove the Manifold cover and the Plug Cover , Paint and Replace , Just remember to Mask / Tape up areas that do not need painting , Results will be the same as the Picture in this Attachment

Hope this Helps

Attachments

Last edited:

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
Do you have any photo of the spray paint can? I went to ACE Ikano just now and found that they have around 10 different types of spray paint for me to choose, headache...

By the way, i'm wondering if metallic paint can do the job because i saw ppl from west paint the valve cover like this:

Muhammed

Known Member
Sep 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.dezignercustoms.com
Hi Hawick

I am Sorry , Do not have any Photos of the Spray Can , It must be a High Temperature Paint , Thats the Critical part , the Paints come in Various Shades so its up to you to choose the Correct Colour , On the Attached Photo , The Valve Cover is Smooth so in theory, it looks like they Just sprayed a Blue VHT Paint and the Result was the Gloss Metallic Effect , Perhaps try to Get a Blue VHT Paint , and when I pass by Ikano , I will snap a Shot of the Can that is Required to make your Life Easier

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Bro,
Good DIY- Do It YOURSELF..but...
How come you diy, but cannot post the picture on the spray can?
Many out there are intersted mah...
Nak bantu, bantulah dgn penuh nya....
TQ

Muhammed

Known Member
Sep 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.dezignercustoms.com
Bro,
Good DIY- Do It YOURSELF..but...
How come you diy, but cannot post the picture on the spray can?
Many out there are intersted mah...
Nak bantu, bantulah dgn penuh nya....
TQ
Hi E-Tech

I understand your Problem , However when we Originally did this DIY , it did have a Picture of the Can , But that Product is Not available here so it made no sense to post it up , because where would you find it, Where I come from High Heat Spray is Readily Available in Many Stores from Numerous Manufacturers , Offering Various Brands , and a Wide variety of Colours to choose From , Thus it was the Responsibility of the Person doing the mod to go and Choose the Correct Combination that They required for Each Unique application , In Malaysia However High Heat Spray is Available at very Selective Outlets , And I am not currently in a Position to be able to give you a Photo of the Can from the Products being offered in Malaysia , as I do not know the Quality or the Finish that These Products will Achieve , I can only give a Recommendation if I have Used the Product. Which I have not done in Malaysia so its Up to you to Choose the Correct Product for the Job

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys i found this page on editing eprom programs for 4g61, thought it may be worth trying , if it works then worth the risk kekekeke or else ECU BURN :D

http://users.wpi.edu/~ktarry/dsmtech/dsmromedit.html#fuelcut
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience