[DIY] Oil catch tank

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
FICD is fast idle control device. Kembara uses a manual one that is why that was used and can be tuned.....

tham.wai.keong

From Facebook
Aug 7, 2011
www.facebook.com
Um... I change it every 20k km. But even then it's barely 1/4 full

This is an old topic, but just wanted to make an enquiry.

The oil fills up slowly in the fuel filter, but long before that, wouldn't the oil fumes
clog up the filter paper in no time, restricting air flow and vacuum suction as well ?

I had been doing the same thing for my old Iswara, though with a different routing.

I unscrewed the PCV valve from the engine cover, poked a small vacuum hose into the
outlet there, and connected the other end to the bottom inlet of the fuel filter.

Then I connected another vacuum hose to the filter's outlet on top, and routed the other
end to the PCV valve's inlet. That way, the oil fumes are filtered before it reaches the valve,
keeping it relatively clean of oil sludge.

I was using a Suzuki fuel filter before that, somewhat bigger than the Iswara's, but hard to
obtain in the parts shops.

Last edited:

nassershah

Oct 31, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi tham .., I've received email on this particular matter, thanks a bunch for the informations, though it's an old tread, I do appreciate the knowledge. I've changed to Hyundai matrix and gave the kancil to my son d.. lol.. God knows what he had done to the car by now..! Thanks again for the efforts and informations.. at least I now understood if one day my son can to me and asked... hahaha.. Thank you 3x..!

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hey Guys,
Anyone knows where to get these parts ?
It's to make an oil catch can.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/117722-diy-cheapo-oil-catch-can.html

Elbow fitting
Pneumatic press fit elbow fittings
And the black colour glue this guy used.
JBWeld you can't buy here. Superlon black coloured sealant might work but I'm not sure how it'll hold up in engine bay heat. And if you're gonna make this skip the indicator as that's usually the biggest culprit for vacuum leaks.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
JBWeld you can't buy here. Superlon black coloured sealant might work but I'm not sure how it'll hold up in engine bay heat. And if you're gonna make this skip the indicator as that's usually the biggest culprit for vacuum leaks.
Hmmm, good tips bro.
I was reading some stuff about the blow by gases.
Is it true that there is two hoses where one is routed to the intake manifold and another before the intake manifold ?
Which is one is the PCV and the other is the breather hose. One hose routes the gas back into the intake manifold at high load and another route the gas back at low rpm.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
is this the breather hose for the myvi K3-VE engine ?
upload_2018-7-3_12-40-25.jpeg

shouldnt we route the breather hose to the oil catch can as well if the article says the breather hose also has blow by gas.

lol, i'm in need of experts opinions.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
I never understood why engine manufacturers routed blow-by gases back into the intake manifold. All the oil vapour (read : Oil) gets trapped there and completely clogs the throttle body and intake manifold causing sluggish performance, inaccurate idling and in some cases engine dying off due to overly low idling.

In order to counter this problem, some budding aftermarket enthusiast created the Oil Catch Tank (OCT) and connected it to the PCV valve catching all the oil vapour therefore keeping the intake manifold relatively clean.

Picture taken from ZTH sales pages, copyright and all belong to the owner, not me

So I was thinking, is there a DIY-er way of doing this OCT without spending too much? Yes there was.

Tools needed :
1. Iswara Fuel filter
2. Automotive rubber hose
3. Clamps

Locate the PCV valve in your car (usually it's a rubber hose going from your cylinder head going into your intake usually before the throttlebody).

Replace this hose with your makeshift OCT and you're pretty much done.

The Iswara fuel filter has paper filters in it which will trap the oil vapour (read : Oil) and collect it in the filter. So be sure to replace the filter once it fills up (eventually). RM6 bucks give or take!

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Disclaimer : I've only done this for my Wira, Myvi and Toyota Unser without adverse effects. I do not and will not claim that this works for all car makes and models
oh yea, you done it before lol.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
is this the breather hose for the myvi K3-VE engine ?
View attachment 571442

shouldnt we route the breather hose to the oil catch can as well if the article says the breather hose also has blow by gas.

lol, i'm in need of experts opinions.
I've done this before. It didn't really work well for me. The plastic oil filter kinda compressed from the vacuum.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
What if the indicator instead of using the press fit type but the one like the brass elbow fitting wan like the one on top.
Is it still possible that it's going to leak ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What if the indicator instead of using the press fit type but the one like the brass elbow fitting wan like the one on top.
Is it still possible that it's going to leak ?
I dunno. The leak I've usually seen happen is where the indicator is connected to the can itself.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was sifting through various würth catalogs trying to find information about the so called autofoam. Appearantly würth does not make any product called autofoam. They do have a two component pu foam in their US catalog, but it comes in a 7 oz mixer/injector so that is not the autofoam.....

Well it seems that würth's 1K assembly foam (item number 8921551 in the Turkish catalog) has exactly the same technical specifications as autofam as given in the autofoam website. I'm going to try and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience