[DIY] Oil catch tank

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro Izso, the pic showing your myvi oil catch tanks seems not right...the inlet should be the bottom and the outlet should be top. There's an arrow on top that indicates the flow direction. Doesn't really do any harm I suppose...just wana highlight. Awesome DIY btw. Thumbs up
Thanks for that. Will go back and make the changes!

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for that. Will go back and make the changes!
Haha no need la..I think not much different as it is air that pass through the filter and the oil concentration should be not much..change when you change the filter haha. I just installed mine 2 days ago. Total cost: filter RM5, clips RM8, hose RM4/ft. Finding the best place to position the filter with my dog keep on disturbing me: priceless :biggrin:

sarled

Known Member
Sep 14, 2012
Semenyih
Been reading all the posts. Very interesting. But no one mentioned that the PCV is just that - Positive Crankcase Ventilation.... i.e. it relies on the vacuum generated in the intake system to suck gasses/air out from the crankcase (the place where all your oil and bearings are). If the paper chokes up (due to heavy oil) you lose that vacuum almost imediately. It is only called "positive" because there needs to be a definite suction from the intake system. If there's no suction it won't be called positive.... it may be called ACV (atmospheric crankcase ventilation). So guys, be very careful. If your crankcase isnt ventilated by this suction, all your blowby gasses and heat generated by the engine has no where to go and end up generating oil leaks in many places. Also, a pressure in the crankcase will mean reduced oil return from your bearings (basically means less oil flow to your bearings).

A proper OCT has none of this paper stuff, so no risk of choking up and blocking the vacuum.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Been reading all the posts. Very interesting. But no one mentioned that the PCV is just that - Positive Crankcase Ventilation.... i.e. it relies on the vacuum generated in the intake system to suck gasses/air out from the crankcase (the place where all your oil and bearings are). If the paper chokes up (due to heavy oil) you lose that vacuum almost imediately. It is only called "positive" because there needs to be a definite suction from the intake system. If there's no suction it won't be called positive.... it may be called ACV (atmospheric crankcase ventilation). So guys, be very careful. If your crankcase isnt ventilated by this suction, all your blowby gasses and heat generated by the engine has no where to go and end up generating oil leaks in many places. Also, a pressure in the crankcase will mean reduced oil return from your bearings (basically means less oil flow to your bearings).

A proper OCT has none of this paper stuff, so no risk of choking up and blocking the vacuum.
i agree with u..

i've been using the fuel filter to replace OCT.. but it doesn't catch any oil..

the oil get stuck on the tube b4 the filter..

so, now i need to search a cheap OCT to replace it :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My fuel filters don't have any paper elements in them. The kancil and Toyota ones do have paper inside.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Shouldn't be a problem if the OCT is changed regularly, like 5k - 10k km distance? If let there for 10 years..sure die lah

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My fuel filters don't have any paper elements in them. The kancil and Toyota ones do have paper inside.
Then what is filtering the fuel (if use for fuel that is)?

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Bro Izso, the pic showing your myvi oil catch tanks seems not right...the inlet should be the bottom and the outlet should be top. There's an arrow on top that indicates the flow direction. Doesn't really do any harm I suppose...just wana highlight. Awesome DIY btw. Thumbs up
I did mine some time back and also using the same filter and was about to say the same thing.
Well, for me it does make a difference. If go in from bottom inlet the oil is caught at the bottom of the container, the filter paper acts as a filter. If the tube goes in from the top, the oil will damp the filter paper before it can go down the container.....

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Taikos... m-o-d-i-f-i-e-d filter.

:biggrin:

I used to own a OCT but stupid me sold it. Now I'm too scrooge mcduck to want to buy another one.

sarled

Known Member
Sep 14, 2012
Semenyih
Then what is filtering the fuel (if use for fuel that is)?

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I did mine some time back and also using the same filter and was about to say the same thing.
Well, for me it does make a difference. If go in from bottom inlet the oil is caught at the bottom of the container, the filter paper acts as a filter. If the tube goes in from the top, the oil will damp the filter paper before it can go down the container.....

No doubt it may trap oil. I don't dispute that. It's just the loss of vacuum that I worry is being overlooked. If your filter paper/element gets wet with oil, you lose vacuum. If your filter container gets filled with oil you will also lose vacuum. With this loss of vacuum your PCV system isn't really working to bring air/gasses out of your crankcase. This means your oil flow rate to your bearings is compromised. Your main and conrod bearings are probably suffering and you may not know it. Yes, your engine works but do you really know how well your bearings are doing now? Think about it - don't you think manufacturers would have added a RM6 filter for this system if there were no risks involved?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well, if any of these DIYers are like me, I have about 15 of those RM6 filters at home and change every month or so. Other times I just pour out the oil. And since my filter doesn't have any paper elements, I think the vacuum loss for me is minimal or none.

Just recently I inspected the hoses and the filter and found that the clamp around the filter wasn't completely sealing the connection between the hose and the filter so I could hear some vacuum noises there. Seems the rubber hoses will crack and become brittle over time. Lesson learnt is buy good hoses.

sarled

Known Member
Sep 14, 2012
Semenyih
Well, I guess if you are diligent in changing out these then it should be okay, especially if you haven't got paper elements inside. Maybe the trick here is to buy the filters that you are using (without paper).

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Taikos... m-o-d-i-f-i-e-d filter.

:biggrin:

I used to own a OCT but stupid me sold it. Now I'm too scrooge mcduck to want to buy another one.
Forgot you are DIY sifu......:adore:

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

No doubt it may trap oil. I don't dispute that. It's just the loss of vacuum that I worry is being overlooked. If your filter paper/element gets wet with oil, you lose vacuum. If your filter container gets filled with oil you will also lose vacuum. With this loss of vacuum your PCV system isn't really working to bring air/gasses out of your crankcase. This means your oil flow rate to your bearings is compromised. Your main and conrod bearings are probably suffering and you may not know it. Yes, your engine works but do you really know how well your bearings are doing now? Think about it - don't you think manufacturers would have added a RM6 filter for this system if there were no risks involved?
For my Hyundai, the link is from the left nozzle to TB. The right link with PCV valve I have added an air leak device and yes I do check the filter regularly. The oil caught is very little only and once the bottom of the filter has oil in it, it is changed....

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Well, if any of these DIYers are like me, I have about 15 of those RM6 filters at home and change every month or so. Other times I just pour out the oil. And since my filter doesn't have any paper elements, I think the vacuum loss for me is minimal or none.

Just recently I inspected the hoses and the filter and found that the clamp around the filter wasn't completely sealing the connection between the hose and the filter so I could hear some vacuum noises there. Seems the rubber hoses will crack and become brittle over time. Lesson learnt is buy good hoses.
Yup, using the high pressure fuel hoses. Last much longer....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
For my Hyundai, the link is from the left nozzle to TB. The right link with PCV valve I have added an air leak device and yes I do check the filter regularly. The oil caught is very little only and once the bottom of the filter has oil in it, it is changed....

Taikor, what air leak device are you using? pressure gauge?

And you said that u change the filter when there's oil at the bottom of the filter...did u mean the small reservoir below the filter? Mine has catched some amount of oil.. 2ml like that. Dont really knw when to change unless open up the filter and see if it's clogged. Even so, I need some gauges to do that :hmmmm:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Taikor, what air leak device are you using? pressure gauge?

And you said that u change the filter when there's oil at the bottom of the filter...did u mean the small reservoir below the filter? Mine has catched some amount of oil.. 2ml like that. Dont really knw when to change unless open up the filter and see if it's clogged. Even so, I need some gauges to do that :hmmmm:
If little can still use, if not change the filter as it is not too expensive.

Air leak by suction, controlled by FICD from Kembara. The unit can be seen in the middle of the pic, on the right side of the DIY OCT. However if your car is not a guzzler you won't feel much effect. My Hyundai is a manual 1.8 and is under powered and guzzler badly. The air leak has improved my power slightly and I got more mileage out of it.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What's a FICD lol..apology for being noob wakakaka

Hmm..I think it is very hard to know how much vacuum pressure is needed for the system to run correctly. When we install the OCT, we already increases the static pressure in the system. I'm not too sure of them system itself actually..so my question here is..does it require high suction for the system to work smoothly without any problem; correct amount of oil being snuffed out?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Melaka and would like to know if there's any good mechanic or workshop in the area, preferably familiar with performance mods etc..

Thank you very much,
4throttles.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience