DIY - Lubricating Throttle Cable

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
This DIY is suitable for ALL Drive by cable cars... I have done it for my Nissan Sunny and My Mini... You can do the same for Handbrake cables too.

The throttle response for my old mini is a bit.. rough and sticky... Sometimes, I have to step on the throttle pedal quite heavily as the cable is stuck.. and sometimes, the RPM is kept at a high rev because the cable cannot return to normal position smoothly. I have decided to do a little DIY to lubricate the Throttle Cable.

Items required is just :
- Lubrication Oil (I used Sewing Machine Oil. Engine oil can be used too)
- A T-Wrench

Let's take a look at the throttle cable. The original setting was a bit slacked and the cable is kinda old, so it is a bit rough.

Using the T-Wrench, I loosen up the nut that holds down the throttle cable. The cable comes off easily and I removed it from the bracket.

I then slowly pumped the oil into the housing-hose of the cable. While pulling and pushing the cable to ensure that the oil flows and lubricate the whole length of the cable.

I repeat this process and check the other end of the cable (which is at the pedal) to make sure that the oil have flowed thru the whole cable and reached the other end.

After this is done. I installed back the throttle cable using the same method as removing it.

Before I tighten it, I pulled the cable till there is no more slack to ensure that I have better throttle response.

I started the engine and stepped on the throttle, felt much better now. Just like a new car!!

Happy DIYING!!

REMEMBER to tighten the Throttle Cable fastener nut.. You don't want it to get loosen while driving...

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
I did this to my bicycle brake and gear cables too...So smooth like hydraulics

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

its time for me to change my bodykits. anyone know where i can find some?
currently interested in eg9 type r front bumper.
any suggestions welcome.:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience