DIY LED brake lights. Need help.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
stupidcar, the diagram levin showed you is the same like mine. I think you will get what he mean soon...

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
From your picture, you are putting the LEDs in parallel.

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Would suggest you just copy exactly what TitanRev does. Save your time.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Ok can you please take a closer picture and show it here once more?

I'm gonna go swap my 1/4W resistor with 2W then I'm done. 1 step closer!
By using this http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz ,
13V source, 2.8 forward V and 20mA, it came out with 4 Leds to a 100ohm 1/4W resistor.
Why is the wizard giving me that answer ah?

This is my spec sheet btw. No wattage value. I don't know how to count so I rely on calculators, manatau its wrong. :banghead:

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
stupidcar, I can't see your image la...also you no need to 100% follow the site give you the W.

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site

I'm gonna go swap my 1/4W resistor with 2W then I'm done. 1 step closer!
By using this LED series parallel array wizard ,
13V source, 2.8 forward V and 20mA, it came out with 4 Leds to a 100ohm 1/4W resistor.
Why is the wizard giving me that answer ah?
This is my spec sheet btw. No wattage value. I don't know how to count so I rely on calculators, manatau its wrong.
If you follow the web site suggestion, you can use 100ohm 1/4W resistor.
The reason i suggest you to change it to 2W is because i assumed you connect the LED in parallel.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
stupidcar, I can't see your image la...also you no need to 100% follow the site give you the W.
If you follow the web site suggestion, you can use 100ohm 1/4W resistor.
The reason i suggest you to change it to 2W is because i assumed you connect the LED in parallel.
Guys, I reuploaded the pics. BTW, I used the same method as the wizard showed me ma.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Stupidcar, you read the website suggestion carefully.

Pick from website
the wizard thinks 1/4W resistors are fine for your application

Also pick from the ? mark
Resistor power rating
The wizard uses your drive current to calculate the power dissipated in the array resistors. Standard resistors are available in 1/8W, 1/4W, 1/2W and 1W, and some values are available above that. The wizard picks a resistor wattage for you based on the guideline of operating at less than 60% of the rated power.

W in resistor is the power rating of the resistor. In other words, after you have designed your circuit, you look at the selected resistors, and you calculate the power dissipated (I) Power = current x voltage (P=V/R, or P= V2 /R or P= I2 x R- you MUST select resistors with a power rating that exceeds the result.

You can use this to calculate the resistor Wattage
20mA x 2.8 = 0.056 watt of power required. This is 1 LED.

From the picture can see you resistor all black already..overheated. This means your resistor is not enough. You give me your intended LED nos. I work out the wiring diagram for you.

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Stupidcar, you read the website suggestion carefully.

Pick from website
the wizard thinks 1/4W resistors are fine for your application

Also pick from the ? mark
Resistor power rating
The wizard uses your drive current to calculate the power dissipated in the array resistors. Standard resistors are available in 1/8W, 1/4W, 1/2W and 1W, and some values are available above that. The wizard picks a resistor wattage for you based on the guideline of operating at less than 60% of the rated power.

W in resistor is the power rating of the resistor. In other words, after you have designed your circuit, you look at the selected resistors, and you calculate the power dissipated (I) Power = current x voltage (P=V/R, or P= V2 /R or P= I2 x R- you MUST select resistors with a power rating that exceeds the result.
Will go home and count it up! Thanks again.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Stupidcar, I just worked out a wiring diagram for you. You can test it out. My spec is like below. I use 14V as engine started the Voltage is about that range. You can use 100 Ohm resistor @ 1W. Calculated actual Ohm is 82 but I go higher for safety. You can try 110 Ohm also but LED less bright.
Vs = 14V
LED = 3v
Current = 25mA

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Stupidcar, I just worked out a wiring diagram for you. You can test it out. My spec is like below. I use 14V as engine started the Voltage is about that range. You can use 100 Ohm resistor @ 1W. Calculated actual Ohm is 82 but I go higher for safety. You can try 110 Ohm also but LED less bright.
Vs = 14V
LED = 3v
Current = 25mA
Dude! You don't have to... ahaha paiseh. Thing is my specs is 20mA.
I don't mind my lights to be dimmed abit. Its still an ultrabright with 4000-5000mcd and also 120-140 degree. Wouldn't lose too much brightness I guess.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey fellow ztrians, can i use the normal wax or polish for any carbon fibre products..or must i get any special ones? and how do i distinguish which is a quality carbon fibre and which is the ciplak one?thanks for the info
:lol:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience