DIY Install Engine Start Button (with pictures)

RoyBlue

Sep 10, 2007
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum but I've seen a lot of great stuff going on here especially in the DIY sections. Truly Malaysia Boleh SPIRIT!!!

I've been wanting to install a engine start button for my car (for the cool factor ). Sorry in advance as I know that this DIY has been done on this DIY section before. I'm adding pictures to my post thru the process of installing the start button.

Here it goes...

1. Engine Start Button

I got this off from another great forumer from ZTH as well. His name is FTZone. Great guy and great product.

This button is backlit as well so it adds to the effect of looking great especially when you just come in the car. (Will get to that in a bit)

2. Figure out where to attach it to and make a hole wide enough to fit the front part of the button.

I decided to put mine on that extra space that I had (some protons with power side mirror controls are usually found there - Mine are manual so I could spare the space.) Don't mind the self made hole. Didn't have proper tools to make the hole so i used a drill and sandpaper to make it bigger)

make sure it fits nice and snug. You don't want the hole to be too big if not you'll get that rattling sound when you drive.

Here's the back of the unit after attaching it.

3. How to wire the button up. (tricky part)
WARNING : DISCONNECT YOUR CAR BATTERY FIRST!!!
First you gotta open the bottom part of the dashboard. Just below the steering and then remove the plastic bit surrounding the steering. There are screws (3) on the bottom. This part is attached to the ignition key slot.

After that when you removed it you can see the whole the back end of the key ignition assembly.

CAUTION: There are two connectors on the back end. The one on the left (smaller one - two wires, yellow & black) is for the ring that lights up to show you where the keyhole is ( this connector can be used to light up the backlight of the button - will explain in a bit) The one on the right is the main ignition connector - 5 wires = 1 yellow/black, 1 white/black, 1 blue/black, blue/white, & 1 white)

You have to splice 2 wires on the MAIN IGNITION CONNECTOR, the white/black and the yellow black. Here's a better picture.

I said splice which means don't cut it off. DO NOT CUT IT OFF. you just have to strip the insulator a little. Use a good wire stripper such as this...

Now that you've spliced the wire, take two wires, (you can use the inside wires of your electrical appliances (yellow/green, blue, brown) wires to make this connection. (To all the other sifu... please comment on this part... I not so sure whether the wire can tahan. I think should be no problem) and join them to the black/yellow, black white wires that you've spliced earlier. Connect one to each any of these two contact points.

the red arrows show the screws that you loosen to open up the contact points.

This picture shows the contact points where you should connect the IGNITION WIRES which you spliced earlier to (RED ARROWS). The YELLOW ARROWS show where you can connect the KEYHOLE RING WIRES = yellow + black wires to so that the button has a backlight.

The above picture shows the light ring which I'm referring to.

Secure wiring properly with electrical tape. Then reconnect your battery to test it.

It should have a light like this....

After that... if all goes well you will be able to get something like this!!!
[youtube]YYNs4IKS47c[/youtube]

FINALLY, you can close up everything and screw back all the panels. MAKE SURE you get everything back properly. Don't become like me on the first go, got extra two screws... :hmmmm:

A word of thanks to all the SIFU out there in the DIY section. To FTZone, thanks for delivering the button so fast to me :adore:

Sorry again if it's annoying or confusing. Thanks for viewing!!!

idnawse

Known Member
Aug 18, 2005
perak
bro, u need to cut the one of the black wire to make look realistic, if not u can still start ur car by turning the key. mine is cut the black/yellow wire than tap to switch. so if u turn the key, engine will not start. plus u need to add on off switch in order to cut the circuit if the push start button melting. my 10 cent advice

7Heaven

7,000 RPM
May 30, 2005
Ipoh/Kelantan
good job bro!!
i done mine as well hehe...
but my start button not like urs so cun

Last edited:

RoyBlue

Sep 10, 2007
wah bro 7heaven, your panel damn chun wei... now if only you add those toggle switch covers like the ones they have on the F-16 jets to control their weapons MASTER ARM... fulaweh... chun giler

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
nice write up. and thanks for the kind feedback. =)

m3 power

500 RPM
Jan 19, 2006
can put at the lighter inside the car or not? fit ka?

RoyBlue

Sep 10, 2007
Shouldn't BE a problem... you can refer to this site here

just have to be careful when it comes to the wiring that's all

RoyBlue

Sep 10, 2007
bro, u need to cut the one of the black wire to make look realistic, if not u can still start ur car by turning the key. mine is cut the black/yellow wire than tap to switch. so if u turn the key, engine will not start. plus u need to add on off switch in order to cut the circuit if the push start button melting. my 10 cent advice
Yeah, i know but I am scared that anything can happen to the button then really got big problem. So the key thing I MAY remove in the future when I tidy up my wiring (solder/clamp properly) So as of now... it's still the backup. Plus the button just makes it look like your starting process is cooler. Wonder if you can put a capacitor!? or something to that effect that when you press only once... that means you don't have to hold the button down.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi fellas,

Juz wanna share my experiences and my mates experiences with car break-ins.

:ph34r:
1) Low Yatt...Occured at car park. Guess wat? Went in there to buy a PDA and 2 hours later came back wif our library books missing from my kenari. Idiotic guards were arguing among themselves on who ronda here and there and at wat time. Bl00dy h3ll. After telling me that they hope that I won't report to police I didn't give a damm and i went off to make a police report at Dang Wangi. Damm...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience