DIY - Headlamp Sanding And Polishing

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys,
Did my first DIY sanding and polishing of headlamp for a friend. Posted here because of DIY and not in Auto Detailing because that one is sifu area....

This lamp was in really bad state, so he remove and send to my house and ask to attempt reconditioning it for him.
He mentioned he has already sent to accessory shop for polishing but they could not do it.

Here is how the condition when it came....

Close up

Even closer

There is a layer of melted plastic on top, that is why the accessory shop could not polish it off

This needed extreme measures to recondition.

Grit 100 sandpaper to remove the top melted layer, then grit 500 to remove grit 100 sandpaper mark, then 800 to 1500 and lastly to 2000 grit to get smooth surface before polishing.

Wet sanding

After 500 grit sanding

Trial on one side see how it goes

Not bad....

Before

After

You will still see some water marks. Apparently these are on the inside because these headlamps were cut open before to fit projector laps

Before

Finished Project....

Thanks for viewing.....

Oh! Not pro, so using OTC product only....This.....

This OTC product can be bought in Hypermarkets like Tesco, Aeon BIG and so on.
By hand need more elbow grease. I had help by borrowing my friend's rotary for the last part..:driver:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Re: iy - Headlamp Sanding And Polishing

Nice job. OTC or professional range of products, if it works, it works.

Most importantly, what did you use to protect the headlamp. If no protective layer is applied, it would only take 2 to 3 months for it to start yellowing and returning back to the same state.

The melted plastic you were sanding off is actually a protective layer. If not mistaken, this should be a Lancer headlamp.

I bet your friend's jaw dropped when he saw his "brand spanking new" headlamps.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Nice job. OTC or professional range of products, if it works, it works.

Most importantly, what did you use to protect the headlamp. If no protective layer is applied, it would only take 2 to 3 months for it to start yellowing and returning back to the same state.

The melted plastic you were sanding off is actually a protective layer. If not mistaken, this should be a Lancer headlamp.

I bet your friend's jaw dropped when he saw his "brand spanking new" headlamps.
Thanks brother. Yup was told it was the protective layer, so much for it as that went first....:banghead:
You are right, Lancer headlamp but funny thing is only the left one got problem. His right one still okay....:confused:
Yup, he was very happy because he send to accessory shop and they could not polish it off. I did tell him will use extreme measure to remove it...:biggrin:
As for further protection, not sure what he wants to do. He mention accessory shop having the headlamp protection tint. Will that work or do you have any idea on that?

speedtomax

May 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Thanks brother. Yup was told it was the protective layer, so much for it as that went first....:banghead:
You are right, Lancer headlamp but funny thing is only the left one got problem. His right one still okay....:confused:
Yup, he was very happy because he send to accessory shop and they could not polish it off. I did tell him will use extreme measure to remove it...:biggrin:
As for further protection, not sure what he wants to do. He mention accessory shop having the headlamp protection tint. Will that work or do you have any idea on that?
Really awesome result and worthy, by the way any update on the headlamp protection tint? izit the same like the normal car tint coz now days tint shop also provide headlamp tint as well.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Really awesome result and worthy, by the way any update on the headlamp protection tint? izit the same like the normal car tint coz now days tint shop also provide headlamp tint as well.
I don't think so. Cost more too, but I don't think he fitted yet....:rolleyes:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Another friend sent his Honda CT to me for cataract operation....:biggrin:
These headlamps were in better condition so started with 800 grit sandpaper, no need use up to 100 like the one before.
Since headlamps are still on the car, need to tape the surrounding paint with masking tape before sanding.

Before - Right

After

Before -Left

After

Close up - Before

After

goohtj

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004
Bro, the Best l have come across.
Btw how long you take to do 1 lamp?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro, the Best l have come across.
Btw how long you take to do 1 lamp?
Thanks, brother.
Did not time. Probably 4-6 hours for both. I took my time as my friend left his car overnight.
The sanding part took the longest as I had to remove the sanding mark of the 800 grit with 1500 then 2000 grit sand paper. For polishing I borrowed my friend's rotary, if not by hand will take a while again...:driver:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
What do you mean not so pro? That is amazing! What a drastic transformation especially the inspira headlamps.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
unker so geng back to detailling now.. :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Last week, my car's aircond could not work even when I turned it on. There is the sound from the aircond but no air is blowing out. After around like an hour, i started the car again and the aircond worked.

The next day when I was driving the car, I revved the car until 5000rpm and exactly when it reaches 5000rpm, a loud rubber screeching sound is coming out from the engine. I tried doing it for 2 or 3 times and the same thing happens. Later when I stopped my car, I rev the engine again...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience