DIY Cheap Extractor Thermal Wrap

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
Use Aluminium foils.

Crunch it up and wrap it up. Use thick wire to hold it in place.

I found that my acceleration is faster at high speed 100kmh++ after put the wrap.
Before that, after fast edi, acceleration is slow and need to rev quite high to get desired power. now is more smooth.

Here is how mine looks like:

Alternatively, if u got money its better u buy the real thermal wrap. cost RM80 not include instal at ENEOS.

fath306gt

Aug 8, 2006
dude,i dont think aluminium foils is a good heat insulator..if it is,why people use it as a cooking material?

imagine u wrap a meat to make steak..it will get cooked very well..

it just what iam thinking..correct me if i wrong..

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
the insulation is not totally done by aluminium.. its done by the air trapped inside the aluminium sheets. ppl cook in aluminium foil because heat is maintained evenly inside it.

i tested it at idle after engine warm up. before can feel very hot just put hand above it. afterwards heat is much reduce as i can put my hand at same distance from extractor for longer time.

the main purpose is to maintain heat inside extractor to ensure not cooled off by wind at high speed. heat inside extractor must be maintained to maintain high pressure (for power).

my 2 sen.

fath306gt

Aug 8, 2006
owh like that..ok now i do understand the concept..how many layer u wrap it?

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
That is the reason to crumple it... so there will be a layer of air in between when wrap a bit tight... can NOT be loosely cause if broken can get caught in fan... die lo.
it takes a lot of patient doing it.. and lots of sweat.

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
the heat is MORE when there is totally nothing to shield extractor ma... correct or not?

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Wahlao .. like that also boleh ? donzcityZ , how long have u been using it ady ?

do tell us how is the condition after a few weeks ok ?

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
nitrus, i use it for a week now..
so far no prob. color of aluminium foil oso never
change.. still shiny like tat.

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
donCityZ said:
the main purpose is to maintain heat inside extractor to ensure not cooled off by wind at high speed. heat inside extractor must be maintained to maintain high pressure (for power).
Do u mind to tell us where do u get this info from?

I think the main purpose of wrapping extractor is to reduce the temperature of engine bay, but not for power.

P/S: I personally dun think this aluminium foil works for ur purpose.

Last edited:

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
a exhaust mech told me that those aftermarket extrator will dissipate heat damn fast until the hot air are not hot enuff to create the torque the engine need when low rpm...especially on NA car....there's 1 alternative which is wrap the extractor..but extractor life will shorten....so, in the end, more power=more $

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
hawick said:
Do u mind to tell us where do u get this info from?

I think the main purpose of wrapping extractor is to reduce the temperature of engine bay, but not for power.

P/S: I personally dun think this aluminium foil works for ur purpose.
From NASCAR. Those americans do that long time ago, because it has proven that it did bring out a few extra horsepower from their monster 8liter v8. It is because higher temp = higher preasure = higher exhaust gas velocity = higher power. They don't do that anymore because it cause the header to crack easily, and since their header is custom made and they are not high budget sport like F1, making alot of them is abit hard.

The idea of thermal/heat wrap on header is to trap the heat inside the header. It is made with fiberglass fabric because they trap air inside, much like polystyrofoam which contains air bubbles. Its not the wrap that insulate the heat like what doncityz said, its the air, since air is a bad conductor, modern building put fiberglass fabric in the wall too to insulate heat.

so as long as the aluminium foil is properly wrap around the header with air trapped inside, theorically it will work, but not as good as fiberglass since the aluminium is a good conductor, while glass on the other hand isn't, so i would say it will insulate some but not as good as the real wrap.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
howiechoo said:
a exhaust mech told me that those aftermarket extrator will dissipate heat damn fast until the hot air are not hot enuff to create the torque the engine need when low rpm...especially on NA car....there's 1 alternative which is wrap the extractor..but extractor life will shorten....so, in the end, more power=more $
Header's life reduces because it can't "breath".

In the US there exist some service of people electric coated the header with some chemical that do some heat insulation, while letting the header "breath" normally. as far as i know the heat insulation is only 60-70% as effective as a fiberglass heatwrap, but it didn't affect the header's life in anyway, so i guess its a good thing. but never seen any in malaysia.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can u please share info with me..

Is it ok if i want to change just the Spring without changing the absober.

I thought i want to change my standard spring to the Eibach Pro-Kit but still using the original absober.

what is your advise?

thank you!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience