Discussion On Your Daily Ride

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Lets talk and discuss here about your daily driven car where you use it for all sorts of task like going to work, fetching goods/people, etc.

I would like to ask that will you guys use your own treasured/prized/beloved car as a daily car (assuming if you have more than 1 car) or you will use another car that you care less about as your daily abused ride?

I'm interested to hear about your daily car and how do you treat the car? Giving it as much attention and care as possible or just simply making sure that the car looks ok and running fine is enough?

I've been giving some thoughts and consideration on whether should I use my own car as a daily car or use another car that is in poorer condition as a daily. The other car is unused and I can say that it is like parked there and rotting away.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Use both, alternate daily, weekly loh.....
I have 2 car, BLM and Waja.
Both are well looked after inside and outside.
However only the BLM is active now as i started to ride to work. Waja is parked and i just keep cleaning it and do PM so it is ready anytime. Which one i drive is really down to my preference.I prefer the waja.

Basically i used both car for all purpose except carrying odd shape object,that duty is handled by the pajero.

If i dont have time to properly clean the car i will make sure the engine is tip top and the internal is free from rubbish.I will find a time to vacuum the interior and wipe all dust. I have to take care of every detail as both of them are now new,they are quite old actually.

I can do this as both my cars are normal everyday car.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I have 2 car, BLM and Waja.
Both are well looked after inside and outside.
However only the BLM is active now as i started to ride to work. Waja is parked and i just keep cleaning it and do PM so it is ready anytime. Which one i drive is really down to my preference.I prefer the waja.

Basically i used both car for all purpose except carrying odd shape object,that duty is handled by the pajero.

If i dont have time to properly clean the car i will make sure the engine is tip top and the internal is free from rubbish.I will find a time to vacuum the interior and wipe all dust. I have to take care of every detail as both of them are now new,they are quite old actually.

I can do this as both my cars are normal everyday car.
So, Waja is more like your favorite car between the two. :biggrin:

In future, will you continue owning and maintaining these 2 cars or will you just settle for 1 at the end?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I only have 1 car for myself and another car for the wife/family and we use them everyday. I only buy and drive cars that I want, not something like a junk to sacrifice for the daily chores. I don't like to keep junk cars, just wasting space. I have spent money on mine so I have to like it and want to enjoy it as much as possible, not to just be a pampered useless garage queen. Mine are just normal cars anyway, nothing special, so no need special treatment too. Even if I were to replace mine with say an Evo or AMG A45, I would still drive it every single day anywhere! :driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I only have 1 car for myself and another car for the wife/family and we use them everyday. I only buy and drive cars that I want, not something like a junk to sacrifice for the daily chores. I don't like to keep junk cars, just wasting space. I have spent money on mine so I have to like it and want to enjoy it as much as possible, not to just be a pampered useless garage queen. Mine are just normal cars anyway, nothing special, so no need special treatment too. Even if I were to replace mine with say an Evo or AMG A45, I would still drive it every single day anywhere! :driver:
Driving enjoyment is one strong point which I have to agree on. Of course for that point alone, driving your favorite car as daily is indeed a enjoyable process. But what I am worried about for driving it daily would be the accelerated wear and tear, damage risks.

Paint deterioration and fading is hard to avoid if the car is parked under the hot sun daily (my car is already 18 years old with factory paint). The risks of scratches and door dings is there too. Actually, my upcoming job is a sales related job that requires me to travel around daily (within Ipoh I think). Therefore, I am actually thinking should I really put my own car for such daily abuse as I know I am not the type of person that can take it easy if I find my car scratched or received some new dings.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Use some other car more, use your favorite less. Especially use the pariah car for work related duties, and your favorite for weekends.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Driving enjoyment is one strong point which I have to agree on. Of course for that point alone, driving your favorite car as daily is indeed a enjoyable process. But what I am worried about for driving it daily would be the accelerated wear and tear, damage risks.

Paint deterioration and fading is hard to avoid if the car is parked under the hot sun daily (my car is already 18 years old with factory paint). The risks of scratches and door dings is there too. Actually, my upcoming job is a sales related job that requires me to travel around daily (within Ipoh I think). Therefore, I am actually thinking should I really put my own car for such daily abuse as I know I am not the type of person that can take it easy if I find my car scratched or received some new dings.
It's a car, it will never be perfect unless you treat your car as garage queen toys just to look at. Just live with it, accept the imperfections, and you will be better off that way. As my late father told me a long time ago, the car is there to serve you, not the other way around. Only the very rich can afford to have nice garage queens as their toys, the rest normal people like me just have to live with whatever limited, normal stuff we have and be happy with it, that's all.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I only have one car. old but gold. Use it as daily if not car pool with my wife car.

i have the opportunity to buy new car, but after much consideration, use the cash and do engine swap. been using it for 10 years..from bone stock auto ,till turbo charged manual. Anyway this car is platform for me to learn and know how much does roughly it take to maintain performance car.

Its my new hobby now. Alot sweat,money and saman spend on this car. Any damage will straight away fix ASAP.Wash weekly, service evry 3 month oil change due to my work place is 60km total back and fro. Also any long distance journey will use this car, as I'm very confident driving it and know its limit. Hence the 10km EO interval reach by 3month.

found it useless to have a great car but dont drive it daily. How can you tahan? :hmmmm:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Use some other car more, use your favorite less. Especially use the pariah car for work related duties, and your favorite for weekends.
I think so too. Since going to travel a lot, park here and there under sunlight, damage and deterioration is almost like inevitable.

It's a car, it will never be perfect unless you treat your car as garage queen toys just to look at. Just live with it, accept the imperfections, and you will be better off that way. As my late father told me a long time ago, the car is there to serve you, not the other way around. Only the very rich can afford to have nice garage queens as their toys, the rest normal people like me just have to live with whatever limited, normal stuff we have and be happy with it, that's all.
Not keeping my car as a garage queen but just want to keep it in a good condition as I have a lot of sentimental value with it. So far throughout its 18 year old life, the condition is considered well kept for a car at this age but recently, bodywork related deterioration is starting to take place which is why I feel like I don't want to put the car under more environmental abuse.

Meanwhile for the other car, that one is left unused and there is no plan to sell it for now. It has been left parking there for about a year until recently I started to use it back. So, I thought I could use that car as my daily ride which is better than leaving it there parked without use.

I only have one car. old but gold. Use it as daily if not car pool with my wife car.

i have the opportunity to buy new car, but after much consideration, use the cash and do engine swap. been using it for 10 years..from bone stock auto ,till turbo charged manual. Anyway this car is platform for me to learn and know how much does roughly it take to maintain performance car.

Its my new hobby now. Alot sweat,money and saman spend on this car. Any damage will straight away fix ASAP.Wash weekly, service evry 3 month oil change due to my work place is 60km total back and fro. Also any long distance journey will use this car, as I'm very confident driving it and know its limit. Hence the 10km EO interval reach by 3month.

found it useless to have a great car but dont drive it daily. How can you tahan? :hmmmm:
The second car that I wanted to use is just an extra unused car at home. I don't really have to do anything much to it except fixing a few small wear and tear parts which is only necessary if I am fussy. If I don't use the car, then nobody is using it and the car will only be started up once in every few days to prevent the battery charge from dying.

My own car is not a great car, just a car that I would like to continue maintaining at a good condition.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur

I also drive about 60km a day, but my take on it is different. The traffic to and from work is terribly heavy, especially the drive back home. If i leave the house 640 in the morning Traffic is low and i can reach the office at 730 am. My work starts at 830 am..however, with a motorcycle, I can leave the house at 740 am and take a relaxing ride and reach right before 830, regardless of traffic condition or weather. It is extremely tiring to drive a MT car in heavy traffic, and not to mention I feel its extremely wasteful of resources , when I am only transporting myself, in this car which takes up a certain amount of space ,and gobbles up a great amount of time ,not moving, as well as burning fuel and adding wear and tear, all just to transport 1 person. For me, i would rather save my time with a mbike, and also as a bonus "save" my car from wear and tear, as well as the probability of accidents.
I keep the usage of my car for weekends and outstation jobs, when I can really enjoy driving it, and that makes more sense to me.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think so too. Since going to travel a lot, park here and there under sunlight, damage and deterioration is almost like inevitable.

Not keeping my car as a garage queen but just want to keep it in a good condition as I have a lot of sentimental value with it. So far throughout its 18 year old life, the condition is considered well kept for a car at this age but recently, bodywork related deterioration is starting to take place which is why I feel like I don't want to put the car under more environmental abuse.

Meanwhile for the other car, that one is left unused and there is no plan to sell it for now. It has been left parking there for about a year until recently I started to use it back. So, I thought I could use that car as my daily ride which is better than leaving it there parked without use.

The second car that I wanted to use is just an extra unused car at home. I don't really have to do anything much to it except fixing a few small wear and tear parts which is only necessary if I am fussy. If I don't use the car, then nobody is using it and the car will only be started up once in every few days to prevent the battery charge from dying.

My own car is not a great car, just a car that I would like to continue maintaining at a good condition.
Well then it's different coz you're already kinda attached to your car hence rather difficult to rationalize it. :biggrin:

If I were you then I would just choose which one I want to drive every day and sell off the other one! Coz for me so far, I've never had any cars which I consider really special, hence I don't have that much attachment to any of them and can easily sell them off when I can find a better replacement. Yes of course I like all of them enough to buy and use them everyday for a long time but not really too attached to them or have any sentimental value for them. Maybe if one day I'm fortunate enough to finally have a truly special car, then I might get attached and never want to sell it, but at the moment that has never happened yet. One thing though, I prefer not to drive cars that I don't like for long unless it's a necessity/no choice.

Anyway if you can afford to keep 2 cars and you like to use them both, then by all means just do so, use more of the other one to equalize the usage. What is the other car btw?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I also drive about 60km a day, but my take on it is different. The traffic to and from work is terribly heavy, especially the drive back home. If i leave the house 640 in the morning Traffic is low and i can reach the office at 730 am. My work starts at 830 am..however, with a motorcycle, I can leave the house at 740 am and take a relaxing ride and reach right before 830, regardless of traffic condition or weather. It is extremely tiring to drive a MT car in heavy traffic, and not to mention I feel its extremely wasteful of resources , when I am only transporting myself, in this car which takes up a certain amount of space ,and gobbles up a great amount of time ,not moving, as well as burning fuel and adding wear and tear, all just to transport 1 person. For me, i would rather save my time with a mbike, and also as a bonus "save" my car from wear and tear, as well as the probability of accidents.
I keep the usage of my car for weekends and outstation jobs, when I can really enjoy driving it, and that makes more sense to me.
Well, motorbike is out of my option as I don't have a bike licence. Car is still okay for me to travel around in Ipoh which is light on traffic jam. But indeed it is hard to argue with your justification on using a bike as your own personal transport to work.

Well then it's different coz you're already kinda attached to your car hence rather difficult to rationalize it. :biggrin:

If I were you then I would just choose which one I want to drive every day and sell off the other one! Coz for me so far, I've never had any cars which I consider really special, hence I don't have that much attachment to any of them and can easily sell them off when I can find a better replacement. Yes of course I like all of them enough to buy and use them everyday for a long time but not really too attached to them or have any sentimental value for them. Maybe if one day I'm fortunate enough to finally have a truly special car, then I might get attached and never want to sell it, but at the moment that has never happened yet. One thing though, I prefer not to drive cars that I don't like for long unless it's a necessity/no choice.

Anyway if you can afford to keep 2 cars and you like to use them both, then by all means just do so, use more of the other one to equalize the usage. What is the other car btw?
Yeah. The car has been with me for more than half of my lifetime. Got the car during my kindergarten years and I'm driving it now. :biggrin:

Well, the other car does not belong to me so the decision to sell it does not lie on me. But the car's current exterior condition with faded paint looks too ugly to sell for any good value anyway unless selling it for like under 1k which is rather pointless. The car is a 1999 Proton Saga Iswara aeroback that belongs to my grandfather. He used to drive the car daily until last year he had fallen ill rather seriously which caused him too weak to drive anymore. Fortunately, he recovered after several months but he is still not fit enough to drive and my other family members did not allow him to. So, this Saga is just left there parked outside my house for many months and nobody dares to drive it because previously, it has a stuck throttle problem where the throttle can always get stuck during cold start or before warming up. It was until 2 months ago I decided to get that throttle problem sorted out and I'm driving it almost daily now to go to places near my home. Everyone else in my family have their own car and this Saga is like an extra car now.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
So, Waja is more like your favorite car between the two. :biggrin:

In future, will you continue owning and maintaining these 2 cars or will you just settle for 1 at the end?
right now i am considering to letgo one and get a 2nd hand renault fluence or inspira.

Nothing can comes close to what the fluence offer at the the price bracket.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Please teach me how to modify all types of car including :
a)engine
b)suspension
c)tyres
d)aerodynamics

Please also tell me where to get those part with reasonable price...
Thank you..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience