Dampening and Spring Rates

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Does anybody know the damping and spring rates of the stock FD and FC?

The numbers I pulled out are as follows but I do not know the unit measurement - likely to be pounds as I got these from the "Mazda RX7 Performance Handbook" by Mike Arcas. And I havent been able to get an answer from most suspension distributors I've met so far.

1st Gen:
Front: 100
Rear: 85

2nd Gen:
Front: 95
Rear: 90

3rd Gen:
Front: ?
Rear: ?

Purpose of asking is so I have something to work on when I get new struts - looking at GAB.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
seriously speaking... don't waste your money at GAB product....
if you want... i can customize you a set...who doesn't know i run a shocks factory.. :)

my shocks are tuned for my likings and for pure handling purposes only.
my idea is 12 for the front, 10 for the rear.. you need a grippy tire with that settings..
it's for the gymkhana and touge run...

for track... it's sufficient as well but on a certain corners you'll feel it's not enough...
but it can be countered by stiffening the damping properties of the shock...

let me know what is your purpose of shocks.. i can build it at the price of GAB's retail.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

to top that up... GAB's highest range i'm refering to.

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
Alchemis,

currently i have a GAB white one (i think the old model) used with stock wira se spring... what customization you can offer? PM me the price

Thanks

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
@Alchemis - I didnt know you ran a shocks factory. 12-10 is KG/mm? Sounds pretty damn hard for an FC.

I'm very interested.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
ohhhh FC ar.... different story.... coz FC is macpherson strut front multi link rear. FD is double wishbones front and rear.

so optimum will be around 10 fronts and 8 rears. make sure you have good tires with such spring rates...

softer setup will be 8 fronts 6 rears.... that's if you think you don't want a damaged spine from long term driving.

have to consider the body of FC is much stiffer than FD... something wierd... i guess it's the structure.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
10 - 8 or 8-6 sounds more reasonable. I really had to go check all my sources again when you wrote 12 - 10 :p

I'm thinking around 8-7. I really like my driving to be pleasurable.

FC is stiffer than FD? I find that rather odd.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
it is... because of the design of the arms and such... small spring rates gives huge difference due to the motion ratio of the suspensions. but not necessary better handling.. :)

Horny93

Jan 25, 2005
How do i check that the spring rate is equal on both sides after adjusting the coilovers? The mechanic just use ruler to measure the distance between the threads. How do i set up the car so that i get a planted feel? Now i feel that the car is skittering all over the place.
Thanks.

Justin

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys and girls,

Did you manage to catch us on NST - Cars, Bikes & Trucks last Sunday 1st of May 2005?

Sorry the scan is rather small. Hope you guys managed to read the actual document.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience