CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
not boring but very lenghty to discussed.I try to shorten it eh;

campro-this is a basic engine.no fancy vvt or intake or anything.the famous thing about this engine is the torque dip at mid rpm.the high end is sweet though. comes in 1.3 and 1.6 but majority is 1.6.the 1.3 campro in the neo and gen2 received lots of negative feedback due to the torque dip which led to bad fc.

campro + iafm - proton smarten a bit and bolt on a vacuum operated intake modulator.it will change from short runner to long runner at a fixed rpm point.it soove the torque dip at a sacrifice of 2-3 peak hp.if not mistaken the switch happen at 4200rpm...you can google this.high end remain as sweet as before.

campro+vim+cps - its a campro engine with cam profile switching and electronic controlled intake module.The camshaft have 2 profile (imagine vtec but tone down the volume from 10 to 3).it switch to high cam at 4400rpm (3800 rpm for exora and waja)for neo cps.the vim is just an electronic version of iafm.u can google the switchover rpm point.this is the best engine from proton.

campro cfe-its a turbocharged campro with comparable torque figure with competitior but much less hp.its because the engine is an improved version of a NA engine with turbo bolt on.VVT is only available at one side of the cam.good power but not so impressive fc regardless how u drive.might as well go fast all the time.what weird abt this engine or rather the throttle mapping is that the throttle is much more agressing on the exora cfe rather than the preve or evem the suprima s.

In case of the waja it has plenty of engine being mated to it...the campro,campro cps,renault f4p,mitsu engine.
the best in term of overall spec and performance and reliability will be the waja cps.
The mitsu engined waja is just sluggish and not well put together.
the campro powered waja oso sluggish and poorly built
the best in my heart will be the renault powered waja.it has the torque and great fc.

latest gen of campro engine is the campro vvt.from my personal experience with the 1.3 variant,it return great fc.city driving return at least 14km/l.when we get better at driving a car with scooter gearbox we can easily get better figure.However,at highway speed it still loses to my waja fc. this is the most refined engine from proton for me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts..... regarding the torque dip, I experienced it on Gen 2... very annoying actually and you can't get the power when you need it the most as it changes gear even without reaching its torque peak..

Basically, Campro is the basic engine that is used to be further upgraded... I like the Turbo version though. My friend's Exora Bold/CFE is a bit heavy... when start from traffic light, it feels funny though as if it doesn't want to move naturally....

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
only poor people like me buy campro iafm.cant afford cps head,let alone turbo..hehehe

there was a neo for sale on mudah couple month back which is rojak between campro+cfe...

my wet dream mod for my blm;
-1.6 stroker kit (the flywheel is not a direct swap eh?)
-cps head.
-if got extra 5-6k then install the sprintex sc.
Original 1.6L BLM FLX already can fly as it's so light.... if you turbocharged it some more, I can't imagine lo:biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yours is Suprima S? Charged Fuel Efficiency (CFE) Turbo CamPro IAFM+ 4-Cylinder

The catalogue claims 8.8L/100km though.

For the CVT, it uses clutch plate? I thought all automatic GB uses torque converter... Nissan Sylphy's CVT is very smooth.... basically, you can't feel anything during gear change.
CVT is smooth, belt driven....

I thought Mitsu = Proton haha
Yes, but later they ditch Mitsu for Campro.......lol

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
My friend's Saga BLM is with bolt-on turbo also. High torque, fun car! Handling wise I feel that my Neo is still better :rofl:
Should be low boost turbo...the original pistons won't be able to take high boost... for handling wise, I don't think it will be stable at high speed as BLM isn't designed for such a speed.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
I had a bad experience with Saga BLM FLX... Went to holiday with family and rented this car. After a tiring day, went back to hotel and it had a steep slope before reaching the hotel. Settled all the stuffs and we decided to go for dinner. ... what happened next was embarrassing though. Half way through the slope, the car can't go up further even though I floored the pedal to the metal... I pressed the brake and had to ask all my family members to get down from the car and yet, I floored the pedal and the car can't go up as well... had to ask the staffs to push the car up..... anyone experienced this before...? I believe this is a 1.3L and it's definitely has a CVT GB...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I had a bad experience with Saga BLM FLX... Went to holiday with family and rented this car. After a tiring day, went back to hotel and it had a steep slope before reaching the hotel. Settled all the stuffs and we decided to go for dinner. ... what happened next was embarrassing though. Half way through the slope, the car can't go up further even though I floored the pedal to the metal... I pressed the brake and had to ask all my family members to get down from the car and yet, I floored the pedal and the car can't go up as well... had to ask the staffs to push the car up..... anyone experienced this before...? I believe this is a 1.3L and it's definitely has a CVT GB...
Yah! Did hear something about half way the hill ascend thing on Proton, cannot go up......lol
Read here....
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=448965&page=2

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Yours is Suprima S? Charged Fuel Efficiency (CFE) Turbo CamPro IAFM+ 4-Cylinder

The catalogue claims 8.8L/100km though.

For the CVT, it uses clutch plate? I thought all automatic GB uses torque converter... Nissan Sylphy's CVT is very smooth.... basically, you can't feel anything during gear change.
Yes, it uses clutch plates. Some CVT uses torque converter. Going from neutral (N) to drive (D), it must have some coupling. Otherwise, the car will lurch forward when you start the car.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
a lot of saga kena like this. the CVT gb overheat.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Yes, it uses clutch plates. Some CVT uses torque converter. Going from neutral (N) to drive (D), it must have some coupling. Otherwise, the car will lurch forward when you start the car.
Why using clutch plate got issues?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In desperate attempt to protect my black dashboard from cracks, I coated it with dashboard shine

with COSWAY dashboard shine gell.

It was RM6.50 distributor price per 375ml bottle

It was stated on the bottle as being able to protect against dulling, cracking and against UV, UB or whatever U rays..

Its already many months I coated my dashboard with the product and I find that the shine quite irritating, especially when it reflects the sun, glare into my eyes while driving...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience