CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Hi Guys,
Just wanna know if anyone had any experience on the new Proton CPS engine management?....

If compared to VVTI or DVVT, would it have any advantages or disadvantages?... how about fuel comsumption and how about the performance in terms of acceleration and top speed...?

Just share your inputs...this is an open discussion..

Cheer:rofl:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
think it tis way..vvti is from toyota...how long have they been in auto-maker?
CPS...wats tat???zzzz

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Guys...pls share your thoughts on my questions...

JackWaiKit

Known Member
Aug 9, 2008
www.friendster.com
VVT is means variable valve timing...the actual function in only on the Cam gear of the inlet
DVVT means inlet & exhaust camgear will also advance after reach certain RPM
The power of example 4A series...
but not that power as i tried...

Cps is more or less same like VTEC...but not that powerful
It will give u another power or torque in the high RPM
Roughly bout 5000 to 6500RPM...
But engiine will ramp like hell...

This is based on my foreman
Correct me if i' wrong

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
CPS isnt equal to a mivec / vtec, its just a simple cam profiler witout any valve lifting mechanism

vvti = dvvt = vti, all similar lah

UDT-SB

Dec 24, 2008
VVT-i...is to save fuel only...

yong 5290,
give chance to let proton prove that cps does work....ppl ask opinion not ask u to giv lame opinion or shooting blanks.....

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
get all 3 owners of such engines to give testimony of the engine performance, torque, fc and accelerations to conclude it.....

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
CPS isnt equal to a mivec / vtec, its just a simple cam profiler witout any valve lifting mechanism

proton claim it was valve lift...more confure now bout cps:confused:

soulblade

Feb 27, 2009

actually, cps works exactly the same as vtec, which provides variable valve lift. the different is at the mechanism. the cps actuation is in the bucket tappet while the actuation of vtec is in the rocker arm. proton cps has the cps mechanism at the intake only.
cps is actually the lotus technology, which if im not mistaken, the same technology used by porsche (except the porsche also incorporates the valve timing adjuster).

vvti, dvvt varies the valve timing but not the lift, except vvtl-i which is found in toyota celica.
the vtec and cps can vary the timing a bit depending on the profile of the cam lobe.

thats all i know. please correct my mistake.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Hi Jack, UDT-SB,
Thanks for inputing your comments and opinions and thanks also for clarifying what this thread is all about...this is a forum to share and not to 'ding' people here and there...pls give people a chance to prove their worth though.

Hi Evolution Z,
Thanks for your input and that is why I am still waiting for the appropriate owners to give his or her comments if they had any.

So now, I am getting mixed responses from other people... bottom line is, is CPS comparable to VVTI or DVVT?.... I am sure it can't be comparable to Mivec or VTEC in terms of performance though...

Just share my thoughts..

Cheers !!!:burnout:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
actually i've driven the campro cps neo & gen2,
the response actually not much different from the previous iafm model.
the only thing is when at rpm 4.5k to 5k, it will have a surge of power and can feel the FW pulling....greater torque at high rpm. if in technical explanation, i am not good to explain.
juz drop by any proton showroom to test drive the car.....or i can assist to arrange if u guys want to.

ham_m2

500 RPM
Feb 9, 2007
Klang/KL
www.friendster.com
ive driven a cps gen2 bfore...The power only comes on high RPM say like 4300rpm like that...
But below that rpm,its less powerful...
Driven a Kembara DVVT before,the DVVT kick in when i press the pedal hard to the floor...It kick in around 3000...So u get the power to overtake earlier than cps...

btw,proton are only new to this kind of technology...So of course CPS arent that powerful...Give it time to proton to improve their technology....

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.onlyinmalaysiamah.com
Honestly all the technologies mentioned depends on what are the requirements thus the state of programming and tuning are different for each application. For VTEC, MIVEC, VVTi and even VANOS... aftermarket tuners had years of accumulated research and experience plus all are already competition proven for performance.

I say lets give this CPS a chance with tuners and have privateer and factory teams enter it into competition to see what is the ceiling for the CPS. I have driven all sorts of cars with all sorts of technologies and trust me outright power is not what you want everyday. Reliability and consistency is far more important.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The owner was so impressed with the results on the Golf that he opted for the Mercedes to be done as well. This is a 4 year old w212 that had went through much abuse, road side wash, petrol station polishes and the maximum of Malaysian environmental damages...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience