Corolla Conversion to Silvertop

Dailamator

Aug 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi everyone,

I have been recently thinking of getting an E90 or E100 corolla with a silvertop 20v engine. I am still very confused on my options, I can get a ready one straight beli n drive kind of stuff, or get an ordinary one and then go for the transplant. so i have a few questions in mind:

1)how much is an AE101 half cut?

2) I know blacktop is better but more expensive, but i heard its designed to run on RON100 or 97++ and with my current income only 95 is affordable? can blacktop use 95 with no problem (knocking)?

3) How much will the conversion labor cost?

4) what things should i keep in mind when buying a readily converted one? what would be the cost (from my surveying its around 8 to 12k)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
From what I know, it is okay for blacktop to use RON95...

Halfcuts for 4A-GE 20 Valve are not really too expensive. You can try search around mudah.my... Recently I've checked and their price ranges from 4k to 7k something... It was cheaper than 4G92 MIVEC and Honda's B series VTEC...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Blacktop and silvertop will have knocking. but both can run on RON95 with slightly retarded ignition and sensible light driving. When you want to have fun, put in RON97. No issue for me. Just need to send it to a good mechanic/foreman to adjust the distributor. For me, I do it myself. I play with it and adjust many times until i found the sweet spot.

Go for the blacktop. You won't regret. Less issues such as AFM and ECU problem. Better fuel consumption too. The extra money you spend by getting blacktop can be recovered in about a year or two compared to buying silvertop.

Dailamator

Aug 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
From what I know, it is okay for blacktop to use RON95...

Halfcuts for 4A-GE 20 Valve are not really too expensive. You can try search around mudah.my... Recently I've checked and their price ranges from 4k to 7k something... It was cheaper than 4G92 MIVEC and Honda's B series VTEC...
Yes that's what I found out too. I was thinking I'd sell off the old engine and gearbox plus the body parts of the half cut to recover some of the cost. How much do you think I can get?

What about mechanic labor cost for the swap? Roughly around?

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Blacktop and silvertop will have knocking. but both can run on RON95 with slightly retarded ignition and sensible light driving. When you want to have fun, put in RON97. No issue for me. Just need to send it to a good mechanic/foreman to adjust the distributor. For me, I do it myself. I play with it and adjust many times until i found the sweet spot.

Go for the blacktop. You won't regret. Less issues such as AFM and ECU problem. Better fuel consumption too. The extra money you spend by getting blacktop can be recovered in about a year or two compared to buying silvertop.
I assume you have a blacktop yourself? Do you mind telling me what car and what fc do you get?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just wanted to know that there any aftermarket performance part or mods can load lsd into proton fwd gearbox? Sound new to me.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience