Coolant caused damage to water pump?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by tapavtec, Oct 2, 2006.

1. tapavtec

tapavtec 15 Year | Platinum

hi to all sifus,

Last saturday i did service my radiator and put the coolant inside. The mechanic introduce me with the coolant called Vilvoline (if i'm not mistaken) and of course he promoted very well la...so for me no harm trying if the coolant can keep my engine cool and in good condition. However, after i went back i realize there was a water licking on my left side of my engine (i assume that comes from the water pump--correct me if i'm wrong). My question, is that coolant can caused damage to the water pump?

#1 tapavtec, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. udengfahlawi

udengfahlawi Senior Member

it's possible that during radiator service when they flush the whole system some of metal deposits/rusts may have flow in the cooling system and got stuck in the water pump causing it to fail...hence not necessarily the coolant is to be blamed...

3. mynnDAWG

mynnDAWG Senior Member

no way coolant can cause harm to ur radiator la

4. sakuraguy

sakuraguy 15 Year | Platinum

Rusts cause damage to water pump and radiator. Prolong use of "water only" can cause rusts. Coolants prevent rusts, Coolant does not cool the radiator.

:)

5. sakuraguy

sakuraguy 15 Year | Platinum

A coolant, or heat transfer fluid, is a fluid which flows through a device in order to prevent its overheating, transferring the heat produced by the device to other devices that utilize or dissipate it. An ideal coolant has high thermal capacity, is low-cost, and is chemically inert, neither causing nor promoting corrosion of the cooling system. Some applications also require the coolant to be an electrical insulator.

The coolant can either keep its phase and stay liquid or gaseous, or can undergo a phase change, with the latent heat adding to the cooling efficiency. The latter, when used to achieve low temperatures, is more commonly known as refrigerant.

6. amdfaisal

amdfaisal Senior Member

there... nice definition of coolant by sakuraguy...

agree with most of u... coolant is not the culprit here. my EJ was using cheap coolant sold by JUSCO. worked well til the day I let go my baby. I think that EJ is still running well.

7. nashrey

nashrey Senior Member

roughly what's the interval to flush the cooling system?

8. hattech-v

hattech-v Senior Member

this the pic if not using coolant..
    [​IMG]

this with coolant...
    [​IMG]

9. J101

J101 Senior Member

the best cool-ant is still water.

10. auragtti

auragtti Senior Member

I agree with u.....:X-: :X-:

11. darkemperor

darkemperor 15 Year | Platinum

i dont know if the coolant also act as detergent...i mean before if u dont have coolant added in ur radiator....after installing it..it will loosen up the sludge and some places maybe already loose/wornout (gaskets)...once the sludge which actually fill the gap/loose area now become open...u'll get leaking problem...

colant is best mix with water to prevent water boiling (100'C)

12. KaiKon

KaiKon Senior Member

really can happen aa?juz when i plan to isi coolant:emoticon_U: ...so,for my case,no coolant as of now,should i or should i not isi coolant?

13. mrbear

mrbear Senior Member

few months ago my h22a vtec suffer from overheat n etc2..
    change the thermostat .. then overhauled the radiator with chemical. i can see inside my radiator when overhauled got a lot of small particals like metal.
    when done everything pour in green color radiator coolant. up until now after 4-5 months.. its still green like as it is. now my car no more suffer from overheat. what i know coolant is the best..

las time when go to benz service center,got mech told that not to use coolant coz for benz engine it would create a lot of rust. they just use normal pipe water. hehe..

but for japs i dont know.. ive use normal pipe water also n also coolant. but still the same. but for me i prefer coolant. hehe..

las time my kembara i go service,change coolant from caltex center. they use 1 red caltex coolant. its very very good,the coolant itself mix with oil,so the coolant its a bit oily,but cannot c n touch wan. but u can feel its mixture. after using if i felt my kembara the temp is below than normal until i sold it off

now my next target. to find that caltex coolant n pour it into my h22a.

14. nashrey

nashrey Senior Member

i put coolant in my coolant spare tank - using the toyota long life (the black bottle) coolant.

15. udengfahlawi

udengfahlawi Senior Member

i think the honda coolant in the bottle oledi premix at the kilang...just open bottle and pour in, no need to mix with water...that shud be good i think...i used them once...now use water onli....

16. 399

399 Senior Member

fren... water only=rust... don't risk it...

17. semutapi

semutapi Senior Member

Guys,
    If using coolant could all rust inside our engine and radiator disapear?
    before only use water.....

18. 399

399 Senior Member

nope. it will prevent but not cure.