Conversion GSR 1.8 Turbo (4G93T) - Wira/Satria/Putra

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
The GSR autobox is rated for 26kgm? It would be roughly 255nm. Gsr is rated at 270nm on crank (by paper). In this case, it would reduce my gearbox lifespan drastically if i uprate my boost with the gsr autobox, am i correct? I’m looking to run stock for a few months first, then maybe uprate the boost pressure to 0.8 or 1.0 bar, but nothing more than 1.0. Would the autobox lifespan be moderate if i boost it daily on 0.8 bar? Also, if we’re looking at whp, I’m looking at 200 whp on auto tranny. Unsure if 200 whp would blow the box and require an autobox swap from turbo RVR or VR4 autobox.

My BOV is Apexi Twin Chamber Bov. I’ll be below 1.0 bar for sure, thus BOV is not really a necessity. Though, i want to change to the said BOV as i got it for free (japan halfcut) to have a feel of BOV. Again, 200whp. In this case, would i need additional of changing/adding wastegate? I somehow understood from forums that low boost/low power usage = bigger wastegate, while high boost/low power usage = smaller wastegate. Would i need an aftermarket wastegate? Do advise at your level best, and thanks alot man! Once my car done, let me get you a ride and go for a drink. Vr2turbo and rest as well, drinks on me if you would like to (no alcohol, tea or coffee only hahahaah)
haha! we have the same target. i'm targeting 200whp for my future bolt on project for my car as well. so i can surely tell you that the gearbox can handle it. i did some research and most website i found reference from says the autobox is rated for 26-28kgm torque on the safe side. u can push more up to 30% ish or so. more than that will require and full rebuild, custom end clutch, larger valve body and solenoid. get a big ATF cooler and install a fan on it. my gearbox is using atf cooler with fan setup. because of the size of autobox (mine u, 8L of ATF if u fully drain it), mech will suggest u to use atf cooler. if he say u dont need atf cooler, please find another workshop.

minor head mods, larger valves and some good tuning can get u 200whp with less than 1bar boost on your stock td04. but it'll go out of breath quite fast. not that suitable if you're looking to play karak runs against those high speed contis. ahahaha.

as for wastegate, yes, get an external wastegate. you don't wanna go overboost and blow your engine. external wastegate is a good investment.

also, you're not using the side mounted stock gsr intercooler right? get a front mount intercooler. and if you have extra budget, install a good oil cooler, good twin core radiator as well.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I have a 4G63T and my mechanic got for me a BOV also. For me, BOV shiok sendiri only to hear the psst sound. Without the BOV the pressure is release back into the exhaust system so is quiet....hahhaha
As for the wastegate, it follows your boost. If boost is set at 0.6 then any thing higher, the wastegate releases. My vacuum hose came off one time and was wondering why the boost was going pass 1......lol
overboost on an autobox is damn scary. step on gas overtaking, gear drops, suddenly reach rev cut and look at boost meter 1.5 bar. ahahahahaha. happens to someone i know driving his auto 63 perdana.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
I have a 4G63T and my mechanic got for me a BOV also. For me, BOV shiok sendiri only to hear the psst sound. Without the BOV the pressure is release back into the exhaust system so is quiet....hahhaha
As for the wastegate, it follows your boost. If boost is set at 0.6 then any thing higher, the wastegate releases. My vacuum hose came off one time and was wondering why the boost was going pass 1......lol
Oh crap, in this case, do I need to upgrade my wastegate? Or should i remain stock?

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
A gearbox biggest enemy is the twisting force aka torque. That is why some new car with small turbo engine already comes with dedicated atf cooler as the torque figure is high and in some cases just about 20Nm from the GB limit like the previous Pug508.

In layman term...imagine u are punching someone. The damage (pain) is done when your fist comes into contact with the victim's face as its stationary or not moving at the same speed as your fist. Once u follow thru with your swing, not much damage is done unless the person resist the movement;
Your fist = engine torque
Victim face = gearbox
Follow thru punch = HP

Imagine u are punching the victim multiple time...U will never know on which punch the victim will fall down or broke a jaw or broke a teeth or fainted or die.

HP is not much of a concern as its for going faster and faster.
My halfcut has side-mounted intercooler and ATF cooler (probably because it’s auto). For now, would reuse them both. I will serve my radiator and intercooler before running the engine. However, later on would upgrade the atf cooler. Hopefully the gearbox can withstand the usage

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
haha! we have the same target. i'm targeting 200whp for my future bolt on project for my car as well. so i can surely tell you that the gearbox can handle it. i did some research and most website i found reference from says the autobox is rated for 26-28kgm torque on the safe side. u can push more up to 30% ish or so. more than that will require and full rebuild, custom end clutch, larger valve body and solenoid. get a big ATF cooler and install a fan on it. my gearbox is using atf cooler with fan setup. because of the size of autobox (mine u, 8L of ATF if u fully drain it), mech will suggest u to use atf cooler. if he say u dont need atf cooler, please find another workshop.

minor head mods, larger valves and some good tuning can get u 200whp with less than 1bar boost on your stock td04. but it'll go out of breath quite fast. not that suitable if you're looking to play karak runs against those high speed contis. ahahaha.

as for wastegate, yes, get an external wastegate. you don't wanna go overboost and blow your engine. external wastegate is a good investment.

also, you're not using the side mounted stock gsr intercooler right? get a front mount intercooler. and if you have extra budget, install a good oil cooler, good twin core radiator as well.
I was notified by my foreman that i would need 7-8 liter of gbox oil. Was shocked initially, until the realization that the gbox is 4wd instead of 2wd which resulted to the need of such massive gbox. Any brand that should i go for, the gbox oil? Atf cooler, using the side mounted one. Good enough for the time being? Planning to upgrade it later when budget permits.

I just got myself a brand new unit greddy emanage with all the harnesses from japan. But wilm use it to ensure the a/f ratio is right and not to run too rich. Any advise or notice for my tuning? Piggyback, not standalone, shouldn’t have too much concern right?

Will get external wastegate then. Any reliable ones out there?

I’m using the side mounted stock gsr intercooler first. Will upgrade to much more newer and reliable ones, after endorsing and running the car for a bit. Radiator is going to get serviced first, while reusing the original atf cooler. Any big issues from this?

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
overboost on an autobox is damn scary. step on gas overtaking, gear drops, suddenly reach rev cut and look at boost meter 1.5 bar. ahahahahaha. happens to someone i know driving his auto 63 perdana.
Damnnnn! Later overboost and destroy the gbox! Nononono, external wastegate is a must then

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Oh crap, in this case, do I need to upgrade my wastegate? Or should i remain stock?
buy external better.

I was notified by my foreman that i would need 7-8 liter of gbox oil. Was shocked initially, until the realization that the gbox is 4wd instead of 2wd which resulted to the need of such massive gbox. Any brand that should i go for, the gbox oil? Atf cooler, using the side mounted one. Good enough for the time being? Planning to upgrade it later when budget permits.

I just got myself a brand new unit greddy emanage with all the harnesses from japan. But wilm use it to ensure the a/f ratio is right and not to run too rich. Any advise or notice for my tuning? Piggyback, not standalone, shouldn’t have too much concern right?

I’m using the side mounted stock gsr intercooler first. Will upgrade to much more newer and reliable ones, after endorsing and running the car for a bit. Radiator is going to get serviced first, while reusing the original atf cooler. Any big issues from this?
your car is using the wira SE bumper right? you can't fit side mounted intercooler in there. there's no space. your atf cooler also got no space to mount on the side. need to mount it at the front. i don't know why your mech never inform you about this.

unless you're using the whole nose cut set from the gsr (hood, headlamps, fenders, bumpers etc), you can never fit anything inside the SE bumper. if u still want a wira look, get a front mount IC, and old wira non SE bumper. the non SE bumper can still fit ATF cooler and oil cooler on the side and got ample space for a front mount IC.

i'm using mitsubishi diaqueen SP3. most reliable. make sure u buy original.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Damnnnn! Later overboost and destroy the gbox! Nononono, external wastegate is a must then

no.. just fit everything like the way it came from the halfcut (with new or inspected hoses and piping) u should be fine..

no overboost... then what makes u think how factory boost control is done without aftermarket wastegate?

plus your halfcut is gsr tebo from factory..

not bolt on tebo by mechanic

Reactions: 4gbanger

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
The GSR autobox is rated for 26kgm? It would be roughly 255nm. Gsr is rated at 270nm on crank (by paper). In this case, it would reduce my gearbox lifespan drastically if i uprate my boost with the gsr autobox, am i correct? I’m looking to run stock for a few months first, then maybe uprate the boost pressure to 0.8 or 1.0 bar, but nothing more than 1.0. Would the autobox lifespan be moderate if i boost it daily on 0.8 bar? Also, if we’re looking at whp, I’m looking at 200 whp on auto tranny. Unsure if 200 whp would blow the box and require an autobox swap from turbo RVR or VR4 autobox.

My BOV is Apexi Twin Chamber Bov. I’ll be below 1.0 bar for sure, thus BOV is not really a necessity. Though, i want to change to the said BOV as i got it for free (japan halfcut) to have a feel of BOV. Again, 200whp. In this case, would i need additional of changing/adding wastegate? I somehow understood from forums that low boost/low power usage = bigger wastegate, while high boost/low power usage = smaller wastegate. Would i need an aftermarket wastegate? Do advise at your level best, and thanks alot man! Once my car done, let me get you a ride and go for a drink. Vr2turbo and rest as well, drinks on me if you would like to (no alcohol, tea or coffee only hahahaah)
if you don plan to up boost, stock set up is good to go. My gsr all stock, bov not stock but still circulate. No external wastegate too. Stock tebo have internal wastegate dy.
0.7bar For daily drive cukup dah. hahaha....
Get your car "handling" tip top first then go for powahh. Wallet sure damage :smokin:
i said earlier run the engine, let those internals mingle together, wake them up...piggyback, standalone can wait. Enjoy the ride 1st.

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

See the existing radiator condition if you got confident then get it service.
I bought new radiator, i don want to gamble. You dun want to overheat 12k halfcut kut. ? :dontknow:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
See the existing radiator condition if you got confident then get it service.
I bought new radiator, i don want to gamble. You dun want to overheat 12k halfcut kut. ? :dontknow:
Mine still original radiator. In it's life re built 3 times already.....lol

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
buy external better.

your car is using the wira SE bumper right? you can't fit side mounted intercooler in there. there's no space. your atf cooler also got no space to mount on the side. need to mount it at the front. i don't know why your mech never inform you about this.

unless you're using the whole nose cut set from the gsr (hood, headlamps, fenders, bumpers etc), you can never fit anything inside the SE bumper. if u still want a wira look, get a front mount IC, and old wira non SE bumper. the non SE bumper can still fit ATF cooler and oil cooler on the side and got ample space for a front mount IC.

i'm using mitsubishi diaqueen SP3. most reliable. make sure u buy original.
Mitsubishi Diaqueen 3? Needa google and learn. Where did you get your stock? Hahahahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dearest brothers of ZTH,

I am currently setting up a mechanic workshop at Jelutong/Batu Lanchang whereby car servicing, car repairs etc were offered. Pls feel free to drop by n give me some support to build my business. My workshop is situated at:-

1. if u r coming from Lam Wah Ee Hospital

- after the 1st traffic lights at the Mewah Court junction, u will c a petshop, Wonderland Petshop, on ur left. Our workshop is directly opposite the petshop. There is a gate there whereby...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience