Consume engine oil

YEN96

Known Member
May 25, 2011
JB/SGP
On big V with jun3 cams..after 3000km, my engine oil level went from top of dipstick to now bottom dot. But I could not trace any oil leak...seems like normal ?? Only once a while vTec.
From top level to bottom dot of dipstick is how much oil ??

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Not sure the exact amount but it is quite a lot.

What engine oil are you using? Sometimes, when the viscosity is too low, for example, 0W30, you could experience this. I experienced this when I was using Amsoil 0W30 previously but the loss of engine oil is not as much as yours.

Could it be the piston rings? Any white smoke?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
On big V with jun3 cams..after 3000km, my engine oil level went from top of dipstick to now bottom dot. But I could not trace any oil leak...seems like normal ?? Only once a while vTec.
From top level to bottom dot of dipstick is how much oil ??
How old is your car? Older cars if use too thin engine oil, will burn faster as well.
Also could be lots of other reasons like piston ring and etcs.

Mine have no leaks as well but it started to burn engine oil.
Checked, piston ring that side also not that good already.

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
How old is your car? Older cars if use too thin engine oil, will burn faster as well.
Also could be lots of other reasons like piston ring and etcs.

Mine have no leaks as well but it started to burn engine oil.
Checked, piston ring that side also not that good already.
but you need low viscosity engine oil for better startup protection right? but will the car run hotter with higher viscosity oil?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
but you need low viscosity engine oil for better startup protection right? but will the car run hotter with higher viscosity oil?
Ya better startup if low viscosity but just wanna know the age of his car since older cars
are recommended to use semi-syn rather than fully syn as it is too thin. Mine ended
up consuming engine oil as I was using fully syn 5W30. 10W40 semi-syn no problem.

When used Fully syn, engine is smoother but then engine oil consume to the last dot on
the dip stick.

Is about the thickness of the oil that we use for older cars. But can be lots of other
reasons for engine to consume engine oil. Like piston rings could be wear out. Mine
checked it is.

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
Ya better startup if low viscosity but just wanna know the age of his car since older cars
are recommended to use semi-syn rather than fully syn as it is too thin. Mine ended
up consuming engine oil as I was using fully syn 5W30. 10W40 semi-syn no problem.

When used Fully syn, engine is smoother but then engine oil consume to the last dot on
the dip stick.

Is about the thickness of the oil that we use for older cars. But can be lots of other
reasons for engine to consume engine oil. Like piston rings could be wear out. Mine
checked it is.
that means you use 10w40 no more oil consumption d? i am curious, cos my car is consuming engine oil now, i using 5w30 semi synthetic. I needd to know whether 10 w 40 can solve consumption issue, or use 15w40 or 20w50. Mine is kenari, with 320k km and still running.
My mech suggest me to do general overhaul while i was thinking to start with valve seal replacement and see if the consumption gets better.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
that means you use 10w40 no more oil consumption d? i am curious, cos my car is consuming engine oil now, i using 5w30 semi synthetic. I needd to know whether 10 w 40 can solve consumption issue, or use 15w40 or 20w50. Mine is kenari, with 320k km and still running.
My mech suggest me to do general overhaul while i was thinking to start with valve seal replacement and see if the consumption gets better.
Not as bad as using Fully Syn be it 5w30 or 5w40. Semi syn still consume but not as bad.
I was told to overhaul as well. I think you can consider overhaul.

Mine before I get to overhaul, gasket leaked water, and unfortunately went into
my engine. End up cant be overhaul, have to rebuild or transplant a new engine.

After open up, ya my piston ring not that good anymore. Maybe u can check on your piston rings.
If that's the problem then change that. At least better than overhaul :biggrin:

Any white smoke from exhaust?

How old is ur car btw? And mileage?

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
Not as bad as using Fully Syn be it 5w30 or 5w40. Semi syn still consume but not as bad.
I was told to overhaul as well. I think you can consider overhaul.

Mine before I get to overhaul, gasket leaked water, and unfortunately went into
my engine. End up cant be overhaul, have to rebuild or transplant a new engine.

After open up, ya my piston ring not that good anymore. Maybe u can check on your piston rings.
If that's the problem then change that. At least better than overhaul :biggrin:

Any white smoke from exhaust?

How old is ur car btw? And mileage?
so you end up transplant? thats my problem, my car does not produce white smoke, 10 years car, 320,000 km to date, still running. can i just switch to 15w40 or 20w50 just to reduce oil consumption, or just keep topping up until the engine gives way?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
so you end up transplant? thats my problem, my car does not produce white smoke, 10 years car, 320,000 km to date, still running. can i just switch to 15w40 or 20w50 just to reduce oil consumption, or just keep topping up until the engine gives way?
U can try thicker oil but then u will feel ur car heavier than before. Beats the purpose if u love
driving. 320K KM never overhaul before? U must have taken real good care of it bro :top:

Topping up if it doesnt cost u much then okay la. If consumes a lot better overhaul or
engine transplant if engine transplant is what u aim for :biggrin:

I use to top up. RM50 per quart. Just like using 5 Liters of engine oil instead of 4L.

If it doesnt consume much like mine to the dot, then can continue top up if only a little.
Best get some advice from your regular workshop and see what he suggest

YEN96

Known Member
May 25, 2011
JB/SGP
Last oil change around 3000km..now I check at bottom dot dipstick...engine less than 2 years old on jun3 high cam....is it normal .??

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
U can try thicker oil but then u will feel ur car heavier than before. Beats the purpose if u love
driving. 320K KM never overhaul before? U must have taken real good care of it bro :top:

Topping up if it doesnt cost u much then okay la. If consumes a lot better overhaul or
engine transplant if engine transplant is what u aim for :biggrin:

I use to top up. RM50 per quart. Just like using 5 Liters of engine oil instead of 4L.

If it doesnt consume much like mine to the dot, then can continue top up if only a little.
Best get some advice from your regular workshop and see what he suggest
Thx man!:itsme: Last night i changed from sumo semi 5w30 engine oil to Hi Rev Semi 15w40 engine oil, will keep on monitoring the condition.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

the sumo oil only used for about 500 km only, damn!:biggrin:

YEN96

Known Member
May 25, 2011
JB/SGP
Oil level was at dipstick bottom dot after 3000km. I jus poured in 1 liter and car feels more powerful and responsive compared to low oil level. Using 10-50

But after pour in 1 liter, I not yet check oil level. Next oil change, I got to buy 5L already.

Wonder oil consumption is due to high cams ?

Last edited:

rydell

Dec 26, 2009
Batu, K. Lumpur
Could be breathing system. Since you are on stage 3 cam, the rocker cover needs a bigger breathing hose that collects oil into an oil catch can.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Goodyear Malaysia has their eye set on this year’s Formula Drift 2012, which will be taking place from 19th till 20th May 2012 at Kuala Lumpur’s Speed City.

<!--more-->Drift veterans Tan Tat Wei (TTW) and Hinizam “Loyai” Hamzah will be spearheading Goodyear Malaysia’s drift in both Malaysia and Singapore; bringing the heat to the competition and looking to do battle against...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience