Considering a SW20 - Handling concerns

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Hi guys.

I'm considering to purchase a SW20 N/A and it will be driven daily. I have heard some concerns about the SW20's handling and safety, especially in the wet.

Are they really prone to snap oversteer and difficult to drive? I have some experience in fast driving and know the basics of lift-off oversteer, weight transfer, not braking hard when the rear end goes loose etc etc, but I'm no drift king and will probably make a mistake during panic like most people. I have driven cars to their limits but they are mostly quite forgiving FWD cars (except for an EK9 convert, which was twitchy for a FWD)

I intend to take good care of the car with tires, alignment etc and perhaps change its sub-frame to the later version's to make the handling milder. I am generally responsible but I enjoy fast driving occassionally hence my concerns.

Experienced owners, what are your takes on the SW20's handling? Especially in the wet. I wonder about its crash safety too btw.

Thanks and cheers.

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
I think the problem not so much lies in the SW20 but more in the the drivers inexperience to the mid-engined rear wheel drive layout. The handling and performance is truly a different ball game and following the cornering lines of a Type R into a corner will be ones biggest mistake!

The SW20 shall be unfriendliest at the limits compared to the majority of cars in the market and you have to be totally focussed driving high speeds in the wet.

But it develops and provides an abundance of experience and skills to the next level if you are up to the challenge of taming the SW20.

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
From FWD to MR......different driving style......both behave diff......but that's where the fun begin....hahaha

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
I understand MR and front engine cars behave very differently... but are MR2s as notorious as they are claimed to be? Do you think an average driver could handle one while driving it faster (fast but not to the point of tyres screeching, for e.g.)?

The MRS for example is claimed to be safe for the average driver despite being a MR.

Thanks for your replies. :)

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
i think tyres too play a lot to MR handling.

in the past i have seen some MR getting or had wrong/ not the most ideal setup. usually its because past owner went for bling wheels & not correct staggerred tyres/wheels combo.

I have seen turbo MR2's keeping well at hill drives/cruvy hills (owner himself pretty good hill driver)

if between the 2 (SW20 turbo & ZZW30), of course the former can be tricky for begineers (sometimes turbos can throw noobies off guard at corners) it's not only for SW20 but even FR cars with turbos.

you need to understand boost & the habit of kicking in. adapt it & the drive can be rewarding. unfortunately not all can.

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
i think tyres too play a lot to MR handling.

in the past i have seen some MR getting or had wrong/ not the most ideal setup. usually its because past owner went for bling wheels & not correct staggerred tyres/wheels combo.

I have seen turbo MR2's keeping well at hill drives/cruvy hills (owner himself pretty good hill driver)

if between the 2 (SW20 turbo & ZZW30), of course the former can be tricky for begineers (sometimes turbos can throw noobies off guard at corners) it's not only for SW20 but even FR cars with turbos.

you need to understand boost & the habit of kicking in. adapt it & the drive can be rewarding. unfortunately not all can.
it's true what koolspyda said........that's why i still can't handle it n throw it all the time n spinning all the time but always in safe environment......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mrtwo

Known Member
Sep 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
in my 4x4 competiton car i have 5 gear sticks and u need to to control everthing during race..:)
i guess its good idea to understand the car behaviour. make friend with her and know her temper ..something like that la...

cheers peeps.

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
sw20 is less forgiving. and it takes lots of patient to slowly learn it.
in my humble opinion, it depends on you whether you wanna be a better driver that understand the car or u want the car to do the job.
i like it becos it takes time to discover more each and everytime.
but yes i do get frustrated and tot of giving up sometimes because i am not a born talented driver.
but i believe if you could master it one day, that wld be the most rewarding thing u cld ever ask for

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Well judging from the replies I guess it would be challenging to drive fast, but its not exactly a "youre definately going to crash" kind of car as some would lead to believe, especially since I'll be getting a N/A? Im going to look at one soon, hopefully its in good condition and I might just jump the gun.

mrtwo: 5 gear sticks? damn lol. But yeah as some of you said I guess this is a car that you need to adapt to, not the car adapting to you.

Thanks guys :)

soff

Known Member
Nov 13, 2005
Koolspyda said it all....."not all can"

MR(2) a whole different world... car and driver need to be one....you need to think like the car, of its characteristics, feel with your bum and steer with your bum.

No one says driving an F1 is easy...it's a bit like that...but you will be rewarded. I will always stick with MR for fun but drive to work in an idiot proof FWD or more exact 4WD (but RWD mode most of the time) he he

Last edited:

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
WAH WAH WAH !!

Zeroed... you also planning on getting an MR2 ar? LoLz... I also looking to get one... actually already found one, but waiting for the documentations to process through. Also ZTH forummer... hitam colour, n/a punya.

Come come... together-gether =p