Clutch pump for Evo 8

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
hey guys, my clutch pump rosak already and i plan to get it changed. just wanna know if there are anything else that needs to be changed together with the clutch pump? :confused:

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
mizunori77:
the one at fire wall(clutch master pump) or the inside gearbox(slave cylinder)?

change the clutch fluid lo...if ur budget is allow...change the rubber hose to steel braided hose...:biggrin:

Last edited:

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
mizunori77:
the one at fire wall(clutch master pump) or the inside gearbox(slave cylinder)?

change the clutch fluid lo...if ur budget is allow...change the rubber hose to steel braided hose...:biggrin:
suspect is the slave cylinder malfunctioned la... if budget permits, may change the master pump too. cant risk my car breaking down in the middle of the road :banghead:

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Philip, are you sure is the clutch pump ? Did you got it checked out ?

Are you running stock clutches or super single/twin plates ?

Leslie spoke to me your problem, it appears that you are having problem engaging all your gears hence I find possibility to be clutch plates problems as another thing to check on ontop of your clutch pumps.

Twin plates over time has tendency to have it's bearing and spring worn out and lose its grip and in between that, gives problem to actually engage any gear if the bearing starts to give way.

Have both the plates and pump checked out and not conclude as clutch pump first.

Last edited:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
hey guys, my clutch pump rosak already and i plan to get it changed. just wanna know if there are anything else that needs to be changed together with the clutch pump? :confused:
bro,
my car just came out from workshop today...spent $$$ already...luckily everything went back to normal, wanna send to evokit but the steering couldnt steer anymore, so emergency have to stop by kepong.....now steering not straight when on straight road...need go adjust alignment...

your car, clutch pump and cylinder change, not much, bout the price of waja clutch pump....actually i got my bushing from proton parts.....told the spare part guy i looking for wira steering bush....hahaha if tell them evo...sure slaughter lor....:)

chocolatesttarfish

500 RPM
May 13, 2007
PJ/BTU

Leslie spoke to me your problem, it appears that you are having problem engaging all your gears hence I find possibility to be clutch plates problems as another thing to check on ontop of your clutch pumps.

Twin plates over time has tendency to have it's bearing and spring worn out and lose its grip and in between that, gives problem to actually engage any gear if the bearing starts to give way.

Have both the plates and pump checked out and not conclude as clutch pump first.
agree..if the prob is when u engage the clutch..big possibility it's from ur clutch plates bro..

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006

Hi Ben,

I'm using HKS twin plates. Here are the symptoms and checking that I did.

Symptoms:
1. Saturday afternoon, very hard to engage gear. Need to keep pumping the clutch before I could engage 1st gear. When in gear, no slip.

2. Saturday late afternoon onwards, totally unable to engage 1st gear, stating having trouble with 2nd gear. When in gear, no slip.

3. Saturday night after reaching home, unable to engage any gear to park my car properly. I was damn lucky i had stopped in front of my house.

4. I can only engage gear when my engine is OFF. once engine is ON, car will be stuck in whichever gear I engaged. I had to off/on engine few times to engage 1st and reverse gear to park my car.

Diagnose/Check:
1. I engage 1st gear while engine is OFF. i started the engine (clutch fully depressed) and released the brakes.

2. My car moved forward without me releasing the clutch or pressing accelerator. I just released the brakes only and my car moved. My car was parked on level ground so i doubt it is gravity.

3. Checked with a few friends and they have feedback that clutch pump is the most likely cause.

Other info:
1. my car is 6 years old. any idea what's the lifespan of a clutch pump?

2. the twin plate was 'claimed' to have been changed in 2008 by the previous owner.

3. gear oil, LSD oil and AYC oil was changed in 2008 by previous owner (with receipt to show. need to find it back though, cant remember which month).

4. my car had this similar problem before where i had it towed to ah kit's place and he adjusted the clutch 'distance' (i dunno how to describe) because i couldn't engage any gears also. this happened sometime in may 2009. will the 'distance' run after usage (something like alignment lari after long usage) and i have to constantly adjust the distance?

what do you guys think? is it the clutch pump or my clutch plates/spring/bearing?

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
racing clutch last only about max 2 years if barely driven...unless its carbon lah.. normal weekend driving will last you about 18mths.... if no hard driving... hard driving about 1yr or below.. hehehehe

BEan

Known Member
Oct 12, 2004
Klang
www.devoteesofcharade.com
sounded more like ur clutch problem if u can only engage the gears when engine off.if its the clutch pump regardless of engine running or not u wont be able to engage the gears at all and it'll be like ur brakes.it'll be spongy and very easy to press the pedal.

azizi.aziz

1,500 RPM
Jul 5, 2006
Mizu,

It's very difficult to imagine mechanical problems...unless get it check and verified...

Could be clutch pump (difficult to worn out but still can)....try to check any leakages along the clutch oil line? check the brake oil level...any reducing sign? if not there's probably no leakage...
other sign...when u press clutch pedal...feel nothing...sometime the pedal won't return back....

Could be clutch plate/spring (normal if worn out after 2 years)....similar to your problem...

Clutch bearing problem...normally press got 'kling...kling..kling' sound ....if bearing problem got weird sound even you're not pressing the clutch...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
then my bearing also problem...many weird sound even not engage clutch.

Mistaken_Identity

2,000 RPM
Aug 11, 2005
Johore Bahru
The same problem I face before.... It's the clutch problem.... Clutch pumps rarely give problem except when the seal leaks...

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
just dropped off my car at the workshop this morning (those who need zero-degree flatbed tow truck can pm me for the contact) and the foreman also confirms its the clutch pump.

while my car was by the side of the road, the foreman 'released' some 'air' from the clutch system and my car could engage gear again. while reversing the car into the workshop, he couldn't engage the gears again so its back to off/on ignition to change gears. the foreman also confirms the clutch pump may be faulty. right now, here's the rough damage to my wallet.

Engine
1. ori mitsubishi belts (x 2), valve seals and bearings. water pump will be a 3rd party (japanese brand but forgot the name) @ RM 1.4k +- (if use ori mitsu water pump, will be 1.7k)

2. oil cooler sensor relocation (current placement got leakage and is too near the ground) @ price unquoted

3. radiator overflow tank cap cracked. to find replacement for the cap @ price unquoted

Transmission
1. clutch pump set (master pump and slave cylinder) @ RM 300++.

2. fluid replacement @ price unquoted. forgot to ask what fluid he is using. foreman is asking if i want to separate the clutch pump and the brakes with some modification works. i asked him to do as original without modifications.

anyone of you separated your clutch and your brake pump into 2 different systems?

Suspension
1. front top absorber rubber mount. existing is still the rubber mount but both have cracked severely. ori replacement price is unknown but GAB pillowball mount is quoted RM 650 for both. should i go for pillow ball mount or buy ori rubber mount? ori rubber mount is RM 300 per piece.

Workmanship
1. RM 350+- for everything

Misc
1. Low profile jack. Any idea where to get a good low profile jack? my car is quite low and its impossible to fit in normal sized jacks below my sideskirts.

Last edited:

chocolatesttarfish

500 RPM
May 13, 2007
PJ/BTU
just dropped off my car at the workshop this morning (those who need zero-degree flatbed tow truck can pm me for the contact) and the foreman also confirms its the clutch pump.

while my car was by the side of the road, the foreman 'released' some 'air' from the clutch system and my car could engage gear again. while reversing the car into the workshop, he couldn't engage the gears again so its back to off/on ignition to change gears. the foreman also confirms the clutch pump may be faulty. right now, here's the rough damage to my wallet.

Engine
1. ori mitsubishi belts (x 2), valve seals and bearings. water pump will be a 3rd party (japanese brand but forgot the name) @ RM 1.4k +- (if use ori mitsu water pump, will be 1.7k)

2. oil cooler sensor relocation (current placement got leakage and is too near the ground) @ price unquoted

3. radiator overflow tank cap cracked. to find replacement for the cap @ price unquoted

Transmission
1. clutch pump set (master pump and slave cylinder) @ RM 300++.

2. fluid replacement @ price unquoted. forgot to ask what fluid he is using. foreman is asking if i want to separate the clutch pump and the brakes with some modification works. i asked him to do as original without modifications.

anyone of you separated your clutch and your brake pump into 2 different systems?

Suspension
1. front top absorber rubber mount. existing is still the rubber mount but both have cracked severely. ori replacement price is unknown but GAB pillowball mount is quoted RM 650 for both. should i go for pillow ball mount or buy ori rubber mount? ori rubber mount is RM 300 per piece.

Workmanship
1. RM 350+- for everything

Misc
1. Low profile jack. Any idea where to get a good low profile jack? my car is quite low and its impossible to fit in normal sized jacks below my sideskirts.
fuh~long list u hv there

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HI all ,
i just wanna ask something about Mivec adding Turbo
will be needing how many $$
and i m going to sell/trade Mivec ori stuff

my mech told me that have to change :
piston
ecu
wiring
add BOV,Turbine,intercooler,injecter.

any one could lead me more info in this upgrade ??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience