Civic ES 1.7 overheat

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
[WTA] Civic ES 1.7 overheat

Hi bros and guru, recently i'm having some headache regarding the overheat issue. I had change thermostat, magnatic relay, Coolant, Radiator Cap, temperature switch, and also service the Radiator and check pressure ok.
For short distance din interfere with overheat. But for long distance (50km +- ) on speed average 160-200km/h it's start overheating while the car stop(Traffic Light, Car Park).
Extremely gratitude on anyone help ^^

Last edited:

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hmm.. water pump haven change yet, but normal driving it's ok. If water pump issue, normal drive also will having the overheat issue right?
Radiator Fan Speed seem normal, also checked it will be trigger. Both Fans also spinning, but i got one doubtful point. While they stop, both of them also stop, even the the Air-Con is turned on.

Last edited:

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
One question... did you change or modify your front bumper to a lesser ventilated type? This can cause less air to enter the engine and overheat even with the fan running. And when you say overheat, how much does the temperature rise? And how how long it takes before dropping back down? Sometimes, fluctuation in the temperature is normal.

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hi nyantong, front bumper still using the original set. When car stop and idling at traffic light after speed. the temperature will rise to 5/6 (Close to the H) once driving and have some air flow, it will drop back to 3/6 slowly, normally condition it is below 1/2. Last time having more serious, it rise over the H while driving. I suspect like what Neohadri said, it is waterpump issue, cause while yesterday incident i open the resonator tank, it was full of water, but the Radiator itself is almost empty, cause i had fill 4-5 bottle 1.5L water in. Normal drive no issue, only
happen while speeding. Already send to workshop for checking, any advise?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Seems like your radiator fan is not working, do check your thermostat.

Known Member
Jan 3, 2008
Check water pump, mybe got leak there, because u mention radiator was emty.. How about aircond fan switch? Already check?

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Check water pump, mybe got leak there, because u mention radiator was emty.. How about aircond fan switch? Already check?
water pump has remove for checking. water pipe is good condition, water pump doesn't get rusty. em... aircond fan switch? where it is? the fuse/magnetic relay which in Fuse Box, there are several related with the A/C fan and Radiator Fan has change.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
If all the cooling parts are working fine, then its probably either your head is warped or head gasket leaking.

Do a start-up test:
1. When engine is cool open the radiator cap
2. Crank the starter, see if the water jumps out. (u might need 2 people to do)
3. If water jumps out during crank , go to workshop and do top overhaul.
4. If got extra cash can do port polish as well...:biggrin:

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If all the cooling parts are working fine, then its probably either your head is warped or head gasket leaking.

Do a start-up test:
1. When engine is cool open the radiator cap
2. Crank the starter, see if the water jumps out. (u might need 2 people to do)
3. If water jumps out during crank , go to workshop and do top overhaul.
4. If got extra cash can do port polish as well...:biggrin:
i see, thanks, will do this testing. if really, port and polish better i think. CNC :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

bro aalto, no water jump out while doing this (2. Crank the starter, see if the water jumps out. )

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
bryan,

I just noticed in your earlier post, u mentioned an average speed of 160-200kmh....for 50km distance

Thats quite fast and long duration for a stock radiator to cope.

Its normal for a temp increase, when stopping after pushing the engine for a long period. there's no wind to cool the radiator when stopping and only relying on the fan only.

If the temp goes back down after increasing, then your OK.

To remedy it, you can change to a better radiator, maybe a stock K20 one. Or just cruise below 160kmh

I remember my old proton wira 1.3, even cruising at 140 km/h for 20 mins would cause the temp to increase.

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
aalto,

i had think to change better radiator, but the leg of the fan is not suitable, they are slightly diff need some mod on that.
after remove the water pump and install back without changing any things, i was stop high rev it one week... i check every morning and every night on the radiator water and do some refill.. i try to push the car, make it slight swing/sway, saw some bubble coming out after some swing.. then i refill again until no bubble coming out... so after 1 week normal drive i go rev it again.. seem like the overheat issue is gone.. even after cruising from 160km/h ~ 200km/h and stop at traffic light, the temperature doesn't increase even.. i guess is some bubble running over with the cooling system. after 3 weeks testing, condition good, no any others issue, happy it is back to normal :) after this incident, i will go install an ATF cooler as well..

thanks for your advise bro aalto

may be can remind others member who having the same issue even after changing and services. bubbles might be causing it

Dec 7, 2012
Singapore
Thanks Bryan, I'm having the same problem, after running from SG to KL, it overheats after Sungai Besi Tol.
I have the mechanic check, no leaks and the symptoms is exactly what you describe.

I am wondering besides bubbles, is it something to do with the pressure form the engine to the water pump that somehow stops it from pushing water from the spare tank into the radiator.

~bryan~

Jul 26, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hi Alex,
If your radiator pressure is fine, which mean radiator no leaking. If you have done the checking and items that i have mention previously, the issue still remain.. I think it is time to check your gasket already, before things go very bad.

why you need stop the water flow from spare tank into radiator? it is important to refill your radiator.

Regarding the engine pressure, beside change your gasket, check the piston ring as well.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys...im having this problem...the doors warning light..is ON even when all the doors properly shut...
only the warning indicator light OFF when i startted the engine....it comes back to normal...
problem occured when engine is off...shut all the doors...ON the alarm...the warning indicator light still ON....

what seems to be the problem...is it the wiring problem...already tested all the doors point button...push it several times and monitor at the warning indicator lights near the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience