Chronic Defect, Simple Solution?!

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Symptom:

1. Boost comes in very very early at around 2000rpm and peaks very quick by 2500rpm.
2. Once boost is in the car jerks pretty dramatic.
3. Idle is fine at around 850rpm.
4. Timing check is on the dot per service manual.

Defect:

Spark plug #2 was cracked, replaced all 4 plugs and defect gone instantly.

Last edited:

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Symptom:

1. engine idles fine at low temperatures after start
2. Once engine heats up, idle drops and engine dies.
3. Engine can start again, but will die soon after.
4. If maintain revving, no problem, but will die once you release throttle.

Defect:

The Alternator belt was on too tight. Loosened the belt and instant idle issue resolved! And extra horses during rev!!

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Symptom:

1. Engine fuel consumption high.
2. Lost of power evident even after turbo spools.
3. Lost all power on 4th and 5th gear. Feels like an N/A.
4. Engine idles fine and timing on the dot using a timing gun.
5. Also noted, engine crank weak, headlamps weak, cabin lighting weak.

Defect:

Replaced the battery. All horses revived instantly and lightings issue resolved!! Fuel consumption back to normal!!

Last edited:

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Symptom:

1. Hear bubbles after engine shutdown, when insufficient idling before shutdown.
2. Coolant temperature indications are a little lower than half. (Normal around 2/3)
2. Temperature rises at low revs with high loads (frequent lauches).
3. Temperature lowers at higher revs with low loads (cruising at high rpms).

Defect:

The thermostat was partially closed. Higher water pressure forced coolant around the system which is why temperature came down when crusing at higher rpms, not high speeds!

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Hi Eddy,
Is yr problem solved after replacing the battery?:confused:
Hi Green06,
The battery was depleted and was not recharging to its optimum potential, hence the alternator was working the extra mile powering the vehicle and constantly recharging the battery which was draining the electrical and mechanical power. The new battery fitted caused the alternator to do its designed task - powering up the car loads only. The engine then started quicker, ran smooth, idled better and accelerated much better on higher gears. Fuel consumption improved instantly. :biggrin:

check the distributor cap. common problem for SW20.
Hi Joyride,
You're right. Especially for this 3S-GTE engine, I recommend the cap cleaned (with a plain screwdriver - took it from the service manual of a Charade GTti) every 5000km. It oxidizes too fast. Anyway, for my case, the spark plug had cracked from side view, which was not visible from above. The symptoms shown were also intermittent, due to the nature of the defect. A spark cable test passed but had shown some discrepancy when pulled out completely, which is why the plugs were removed for inspection. Replaced them and found very very satisfactory. :biggrin:

mrtwo

Known Member
Sep 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
okok let me contribute some

fan relay not working

located front bonnet, there should be 3 relay indicated as fan 1 fan 2 fan 3, pay some attention on the top of the relays,.. if there is dark spot, say goodbye to him and get a new one, which cost about less than 10 ringgit - and all ur headache gone

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Hi guys,
Get yrself a battery charger........2's battery need to be in top condition to perform.

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Symptom:

1. Tachometer falls to zero while driving normal.
2. Engine, response, turbo and all works fine.

Defect:

A small 7.5A ECU-IG fuse blew. Replaced fuse, tachometer revived, and defect did not recur since.

Last edited:

1sahar

Apr 26, 2006
ymptom:

1. Idle with black smoke.
2. Engine jerk when idling.
3. spark plug goes black and after replacement its ok for a while but later will be like running on 3 cyl.

Defect:
1. Changed plug , running good for a while but the prob comes back.
2. Adjusted air flow,still same probs.

Guys i need help for this, anyone know why ?appreciate it

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
Symptom:

1. Idle with black smoke.
2. Engine jerk when idling.
3. spark plug goes black and after replacement its ok, but later will be like running on 3 cyl.
4. Changed plug , running good for a while but the prob comes back.
5. Adjusted air flow,still same probs.
Black smoke says you're running a rich mixture, but the black plug says you're not having enough spark (or its just too damn rich).

My question is, do you have extra horses, or less horses? If extra, check the oxy sensor input to ECU, and check if ECU wiring had any rewiring done to it (pomen typical shortcut to extra horses), if less power, check the tepets, check compression, check timing, and make sure you have a clean distributor arm..... back to the basic question.... what engine are you running?? You can adjust the air flow? something tells me you aint runnin an MR2 or not sure what you've adjusted.... hahaha....

1sahar

Apr 26, 2006
I have less horsy especially on low rpm, engine is 3sgte. what i adjusted on the air flow was, u know the little black box on the air flow, i opened the box and adjust the spring using allen key until the idle is good. also adjusted the nut on the air flow.

but the thing is, after a few days the engine is running quite smooth and everything went back to normal. i got all the horsy back and low rpm also good.

Joyride

Known Member
Dec 15, 2004
Probably you pumped poor quality fuel at certain gas station. Power back after new fueling?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As stated.. how to take care of it?

meaning.. what stuff to use or applied... coz it is easily get light scratches and dull in time..

will AutoSol do the job? any other products?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience