Chop shop windshield

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by UniKorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. UniKorn

UniKorn New Member

Hi guys, is it recommended to use a chop shop windshield to replace current windshield? Is there any disadvantage like easily broken because it was a used part.
    Many thanks

2. ixeo

ixeo Senior Member

Any reason why you want to do that? If the condition is good I guess no harm.

Better to just have windshield insurance, and change new one when the time comes IF your windshield is damaged.

3. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

I doubt a chopshop will look after the windscreen with finesse and detail. And if it's a windscreen that's on a halfcut and you want to take it out and install on yours - unless your car is super rare and impossible to find parts for, better don't.

4. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Like my Sonata III, now worried as even body parts hard to find as no more chop parts....:smokin:

5. UniKorn

UniKorn New Member

Ah, so there's a risk of the chop shop windshield has existing damages that we can't detrct

6. gunnerzz

gunnerzz Well-Known Member

Easily broken?
    nope.

Will it fit?
    Of course if its from the same model.

Quality?
    It wont be the same as new windscreen. U will never know the surface condition until u are driving in the rain at 20kmh as u cannot see inside.

As mentioned by others, better get new using insurance claim.peace of mind. increase the cover a bit and u can replace the windscreen plus good quality tinted as well.

7. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Yup, because they need to remove from half cut and might get damaged which may appear later on only.....

8. stupidcar

stupidcar 5 Year | Silver

I have thought about it. Yea depends, it might be worth it. Like our local cars are easily covered by insurance, get a new one straight.

9. UniKorn

UniKorn New Member

What about the make of the windshield. Any idea which manufacturer is better? Or which to avoid

10. gunnerzz

gunnerzz Well-Known Member

Windshield manufacturer are very few unlike other wear and tear parts manufacturer.

These manufacturer have to comply to strict regulation before they can supply to car company. I know of none which produce only replacement but dont supply to car company. So, safe to say no specific brand to avoid.

mind sharind whats your ride and your concern abt windscreen?

11. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

I remember my windscreen is China made if not mistaken, since I had it changed many years ago. My first change cost around RM1.1k and that was local made, few years later it cracked again, so when my mechanic source, say got one at RM600.....lol