Changed VQ30 to VQ25

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
I'm posting to share with all after I have "downgraded" from VQ30 to VQ25.

My fatty VQ30 was giving me all kinds of problems since last year. These problems are electrical issues (brittle and broken connectors / minor short circuit blow fuse), ignition coil, serious oil leakage until smoke comes out after car stop (evaporation due to heat), radiator piping leakage, radiator overheat, brake problems, driveshaft giving way, etc. Furthermore, the engine was already 400k km. In my search for cheaper ignition coils, I came across a chop shop offering quite a decent condition VQ25 halfcut. Since my boss is paying for it, I have quickly opted for a complete halfcut change.

Items replaced from VQ25 halfcut are;-
1.Engine and gearbox, including intake and exhaust, ECU, also decat.
2.Drive shaft, steering rack, etc
3.Main brake pump and disc rotor
4.ABS system
5.Radiator
6.Air cond system, including blower motor under dash board
7.Head lamp
8.Bumper with spotlights
9.Whole dash board, with meter panels and center console
10.Steering and airbags (driver and passenger)
11.Complete wiring harness in engine bay and dashboard

Upon collecting the car, immediately noticed pickup is significantly better than old VQ30, which came to my surprise. The car just feel so "light". Gear change is also smooth.

Carried on with an outstation trip up to the north near Thailand. Noticed that front wheel bearing is producing noise, which I managed to solve it when I reached my destination. Surprisingly, the foremen told me that it's not a A32 part, but it's actually an Nissan Bluebird part. Also, the brake pad is neither 30GV nor 20G. Have yet to find out which model brake pad it'll use.

Come to highway drive, the RPM is exactly the same as VQ30, with around 2300rpm at 110km/h. Talking on speed, my speedometer is actually inaccurate, cos the meter is Japan speedo, while I think the meter cable is still 30GV. Planning to somehow dismantle the meter out to replace the speed marking sticker later... Anyone have done this before? Care to show how?

Since the RPM is close to 30GV, so is the fuel consumption. It's just that hill climbing and overtaking power surge is not as good as VQ30, but overall still acceptable, possibly due to smooth gear change. The gearbox is actually quite willing to change gear compared to VQ30.

Below are some pics taken just now. The bumper and spotlight is actually taken from the halfcut, my ori one cracked after hitting dog last time.

Front with head lamp and bumper from halfcut. Loves the smoked headlamp

Another front view

Engine bay with VQ25, pretty much like VQ30

Passenger side airbag

"Auto" light switch, only automatically switches light off after off engine, doesnt function as light sensor as claimed by the foremen.

Jap spec meter panel with ~111k km on odometer. Gear indicator is there as opposed to blank strip in 30GV

Next up, I'm looking to respray the whole car. Any recommendation on "cheap and good" paint shop in Klang valley or Ipoh?

:driver::burnout:

Attachments

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Congrats to you on swapping a 'new' heart and soul to your fatty. How much have you spent on the whole swapping process? Any JPJ/puspakom issues? I like your auto lamp switch.
Get a good quality paint job instead of cheap paint job. You will regret later. Ask seizai or look at his previous thread and you'll know what i mean..

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
All in halfcut plus engine swapping labour charge costs ard rm6k, yet to settle JPJ/Puspakom cos wanna test the car kaw kaw first

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
All in halfcut plus engine swapping labour charge costs ard rm6k, yet to settle JPJ/Puspakom cos wanna test the car kaw kaw first
pretty bargain price for me..since mivec/gsr/vtec halfcut price only already more than that :biggrin:

happy driving :driver:

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
pretty bargain price for me..since mivec/gsr/vtec halfcut price only already more than that :biggrin:
That's why I opted for the complete change. I estimated the repair costs of my previous problems with the engine, and it'll cost around rm3k already.

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
That's why I opted for the complete change. I estimated the repair costs of my previous problems with the engine, and it'll cost around rm3k already.
Did the road tax amount reduce? let me know,k?:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

how does your auto lamp switch work? or is it working?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
if the engine is register, the roadtax will sure reduce.

Auto lamp will sure work, the sensor is on the dash board, the right sensor is for light (driver seat), left is for Auto A/C.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
if the engine is register, the roadtax will sure reduce.

Auto lamp will sure work, the sensor is on the dash board, the right sensor is for light (driver seat), left is for Auto A/C.

Planning to do all the registration in two weeks time only, now busy with works. If not mistaken, road tax for VQ25 shud be 8xx only, compared to 21xx of VQ30

I dint notice any sensor on the right hand side of dashboard. Is it also under the windscreen? The auto light switch is not fully functioning, except that it'll turn on when engine is on, and turn off when engine off, that's all for now. Maybe incomplete wiring issues.

I'm planning to replace the meter marking, from the Japan 180km/h one to Malaysia's 260km/h one. Cos I noticed the needle still pointing the speed as in my old 260km/h meter. Anyone has done this before?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
yours is digital, i am not sure if it will work. cause if you dismental the back of the speed meter, there is some dip switch which is already solder, the setting maybe is universal for mph, kmh and 260 to 180, difference dip switch setting will give difference setting. maybe you can try compare to your 260km meter dip switch and try use the same setting.

For auto light, yes it will off when your engine is off and door open. when is day light engine on, the light will not on. it only on when it go dark. there is one sensor on the right side of the dashbord, if you don't see that mean the sensor is missing so the auto light will think is always dark and always on loh. I know cause i am using auto light.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
oic!

Will have to dismantle something this weekend... :tongue:

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
Posting to update on fuel consumption...

Been travelled for three full tanks of petrol on this VQ25. Surprisingly, the FC is very good! it's 11.5km/litre !! Or converts to around RM 0.18/km, on RON97, V-Power and Esso. This is achieve with relaxed highway drive around 110 ~ 130km/h, and it's pure highway only

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Noticed something, perhaps weikee you can advise me? Cos u r on similar model

I hear some sound from the engine when stepping hard on it, it's like some hissing sound as if air is leaking, or u can say it's like a timing chain sound, but it's only when i step hard on the pedal until rpm over 3000. On slow and easy drive, it's not there.

At this stage, I suspect some exhaust leak, or belt bearing, or maybe even timing chain. But the ODO is only 112k km now, wont be producing sound so early right?

Perhaps is it necessary to lube the timing chain? Since it's been in the chop shop for quite some time without use?

Anyone has any idea?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
not sure what you change, did you change all the oil seal? cause doing this need to dismantle the lower portion of the engine and oil sump, and if you did your mechanic should be able to check how the condition of the chain. Chain won't give such problem this early mileage. The hissing sound more like a intake sound to me, did you change to any after market air filter?

Exhaust, i am not sure, but i can tell you the local made exhaust is really lousy lah (if you still using the original car exhaust), cause my original exhaust pipe corroded and have many small holes..

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

always want to ask, how much is V-power now?

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
well, V-Power now same price with all other RON97 la... ie RM 2.10. So, if it's really giving performance increase, it'll be a better option at the moment compared to other RON97

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
oh, long time never try v-power, since is same as 97 will give it a try this week.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

any bros know where got do proper spot welding of chassis (with bracing) and the pricing? thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience