CFE engine and likelihood of manual transmission (hypothetical discussion)

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
I've seen videos and read people complaining about the CFE engine-the "krek" sound when starting from cold. I also have a friend working in Proton advising me against buying this car for now, and instead go for the Inspira as he says the turbo engine has some problems at the moment. How true is this turbo problem. Owners can share info?

Also, some people complain the lack of pickup (cause not used to CVT gearbox) and heard that Proton is working on a fix for this, as a result the newer preve (whenever that is) will get better pickup but sacrifice fuel consumption. Is it just possible to change the ECU settings or people have yet to do this (cause still under warranty)?

I don't mind the low pressure turbo, but is it possible to make the turbo come in at lets say 1.5k RPM so that you compensate for the lag, or is that impossible?

The reason I bring the manual transmission in the mix, is that if the reliability of the CFE engine is not there yet, would it be more problematic to put manual transmission as it allows drivers to change gears whenever they like. Will that upset the low pressure turbo on the Preve or any car? Since there is no MT Preve at the moment, maybe someone who has experience with turbo on their cars can shed some light into this. I've seen the pics of the Preve R3 with the Neo S2000 bodykit, and the Preve with 18" rims on Proton Motorsports FB page, but I could not obtain any info about the transmission of Preve R3.

At the moment, I am eyeing the Preve, but after reading lots of user input on Preve I'm slightly cautious. I like the Inspira, but I like the Satria Neo R3 better-but being a family man, and I can only afford one car, my choices are limited to 4 doors and a decent boot.

Thanks for the input

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I think Proton lose quite a lot of potential customer when they didn't offer a 5 or 6-speed manual gearbox with CFE engine.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Preve 1.6 IAFM+ (M) and Preve 1.6 CFE (CVT) share the same block right? So maybe can put CFE parts into the IAFM+ (M) block and there you go... 1.6 CFE with manual gearbox. Hehe.. If I'm wrong pls correct it.

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
if under syed zainal it wont be manual transmission
Syed Zainal is talking sense. Preve manual will not sell as much as auto. If make limited edition like SNR3 is the only way to go. Limited to 2k cars/year.

savvy001

Aug 7, 2006
after drb hicom take over proton , now worst no news even on new model

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
DRB already said that two models after Preve from DSZ era will go ahead. I think I read that on funtustiko design (which keeps leaking proton news)

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Syed Zainal is talking sense. Preve manual will not sell as much as auto. If make limited edition like SNR3 is the only way to go. Limited to 2k cars/year.
Manual Preve with IAFM+ engine won't sell in big numbers, but if manual Preve with CFE engine, that's another story... :proud:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
Manual Preve with IAFM+ engine won't sell in big numbers, but if manual Preve with CFE engine, that's another story... :proud:
It will only sell if the features of the top end AT CFE model is available. But then it is still a hard sell especially those who commute with traffic jams...

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
It will only sell if the features of the top end AT CFE model is available. But then it is still a hard sell especially those who commute with traffic jams...
Well, not everyone lives in KL and many of us here are fans of the manual cars, like me, hehe.. I've test drove the Preve CFE for two times already and actually considered getting one to replace my old car. Although I like the performance, but the CVT gearbox is really a turn-off for me (very poor response from standstill). The paddle shift works, but the shift time is too slow. The CVT box will also shift itself when the RPM reaches 5k. :confused:

Many reviews like Paultan's and CBT's also express their wish that Proton offers a version with manual 'box.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
it is already over kill if got saga flx 1.6 with manual
But it would really be fun to tapau those vios and city in corners and on the straights. :top:

I really wish Proton would make Preve CFE with manual 'box. :banghead:

savvy001

Aug 7, 2006
b4 this i wrtie to dsz about savvy problem , he reply me ,

i wrote ,once i poll for saga 1.6 manual he no reply , basically he no interested,

my respect to perodua to bring manual to all model......

when perodua improve myvi tougher body and handling ............

myvi 1. 5 manual is my choice : D:tongue:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
The new 1.5 engine in myvi gives it good power/weight ratio. However, the suspension is set up with comfort and low cost in mind, with little thought in the handling department. :rolleyes:

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
The new 1.5 engine in myvi gives it good power/weight ratio. However, the suspension is set up with comfort and low cost in mind, with little thought in the handling department. :rolleyes:
yup. i've driven my sis in law's myvi 1.5.. suspension is too toooo soft. scared me a lot to take corner. feels fragile oso. but power/weight ratio is just nice.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

BMW themselves claimed the 1 Series M Coupe was the spiritual successor to the legendary E30 M3 that was highly regarded for its rawness and rewarding drive, something that fans have claimed the current crop of M cars lack.

Autocar has decided to pit it against the more precise and focused Porsche Cayman R to see if the 1 Series M Coupe really does hark back to the visceral driving experience of yore. We...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience