Cefiro Club

brian23

May 4, 2006
Thanks all the sifu here. i just called uncle richard today, he also quote me RM2800 for the shocks. when i ask whether need to fix up strut bar, uncle richard said no need. May i know why? what is the function for "pillow-ball joint"?? thanks.

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
defcon1 said:
Aaah pity. I got a friend coming in from Australia (ex-teenage motorcross national champ who broke his back in a freak mishap on the track). He now drives fast cars (got back some use of his legs) and races 3-wheelers. He's a crazy sob who may also be carrying some parts for me... :)

Anyway, about torque. Current opinions are that engines do not require back pressure to build torque. They need to breathe. That is why for the Cefiro/Maxima, the best recognized initial mods are the CAI and the Y-pipe/B-pipe. They assist air in...and finally out of the motor.

My exhaust nuts, for example, came loose about a week ago...and I haven't had the time to get them tightened. So my exhaust is leaking at the far Y-pipe joint. My torque has improved dramatically which is one of the reasons why I now have CAI's and Y-pipes on my mind.

The twin pipe muffler from the GTT will help NOT because of back pressure...but because you isolate both rows of pistons into separate pipes, lessening the turbulence, into smaller pipes..and thereby increasing the velocity at which the exhaust travels the exhaust pipes and exits. Once again...your engine breathes easier. Surprisingly, wrapping the headers and exhaust to keep the heat in does the same thing...increases the exit velocity of the exhaust.

I thought you had a pair of Titans in the front? If you do, then they come with adjustable camber compliments of some very ingenious engineering from Uncle Richard.

I'll check on the Whiteline option and let you guys know. But be aware...with your 18" rims...your ride is going to be a tad harsh with harder bushings...

I'll be away only for the weekend. Back on Sunday, but probably late. We'll just have to see.
bro def...i love CAI but im a bit worried about the hot air inside the engine bay as we all know, the VQ series engines produce lots of hot air. will the hot air reduce the performance? as we all know, CAI mean cold air intake...now it become hot air intake, which i dont think its good...i know we can mod a heat reflector but how much of hot air will it deflect?

im really keen on the Y-pipe now...hehe...i need torque badly...

as u mentioned about the PU bushes, it will contribute to harsher ride? is this coz by minimal reflexes?

im not using titan. im using hotbits adjustables...probably need to go to speedwork n enquire about the pillowmount ball...

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
brian23 said:
Thanks all the sifu here. i just called uncle richard today, he also quote me RM2800 for the shocks. when i ask whether need to fix up strut bar, uncle richard said no need. May i know why? what is the function for "pillow-ball joint"?? thanks.
brain, pillow ball mount its to adjust the chamber. usually its for adjustable as we do not use chamber screw with adjustables...hence, we have to use pillow ball mount to adjust the camber...

its something like this:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ongteckweng said:
bro def...i love CAI but im a bit worried about the hot air inside the engine bay as we all know, the VQ series engines produce lots of hot air. will the hot air reduce the performance? as we all know, CAI mean cold air intake...now it become hot air intake, which i dont think its good...i know we can mod a heat reflector but how much of hot air will it deflect?

im really keen on the Y-pipe now...hehe...i need torque badly...

as u mentioned about the PU bushes, it will contribute to harsher ride? is this coz by minimal reflexes?

im not using titan. im using hotbits adjustables...probably need to go to speedwork n enquire about the pillowmount ball...
Hey Ong... :)

I think you are confusing the installation of a mushroom type air filter with CAI.

A lot of people install an aftermarket air filter INSIDE the engine bay. And it is actually much more efficient than the stock air filter setup, despite the heat. This is because, it greatly reduces the resistance to air flowing into the engine I.e. the engine breathes easier. Also, when the car is moving, the air-flow into the engine bay through the grills tends to take most of the heat out of the engine bay. Air running through the radiator may be a few degrees higher temp than ambient, but the increased air-flow efficiency more than makes up for this.

A true CAI has to have the air filter in a position to draw in cold air. This would mean piping the air tract to somewhere cool. In the Cefiro, the best place for this would be to place the air filter inside the bumper, just behind the spotlight. If you remove the stock resonator that sits there, there is more than enough space. Unfortunately, in a country like Malaysia...you could be caught in a flash flood at any time and that position would be of marginal risk. Still, the water would have to be a foot high before it becomes a real problem.

Another option would be to have the filter inside the engine bay, then installing a small scoop on the bonnet of the car. he air filter would sit in a shielded box with the scoop forming the top of the box. The upper edges of the box sides would be lined with rubber to seal against the bonnet. Of course, you'd have to cut a hole so that cold air could reach the air filter...something most of us would not be keen to do.

A heat shield protecting the air filter is not to prevent hot air from reaching it. It is simply to prevent radiated heat from reaching it as most of these filters eg. Apexi, Razo, K & N etc. are made predominantly of fine stainless steel mesh that would pick up radiated heat.

All in all, throwing away the stock scoop and placing an air filter in a position behind the battery will do wonders for your torque. In no way will it ever reach a temperature where it could actually damage your engine or even reduce it's efficiency.

I once experimented with a CAI on my Celica. Now, the Celica GT4 is a true sports car, so it sits quite low. I piped the air filter all the way behind the bumper...and it sat about 6" above the ground. My friends nick-named my car "The Most Powerful Vacuum Cleaner in Singapore"!!!... :laugh:

Last edited:

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
defcon1 said:
Hey Ong... :)

I think you are confusing the installation of a mushroom type air filter with CAI.

A lot of people install an aftermarket air filter INSIDE the engine bay. And it is actually much more efficient than the stock air filter setup, despite the heat. This is because, it greatly reduces the resistance to air flowing into the engine I.e. the engine breathes easier. Also, when the car is moving, the air-flow into the engine bay through the grills tends to take most of the heat out of the engine bay. Air running through the radiator may be a few degrees higher temp than ambient, but the increased air-flow efficiency more than makes up for this.

A true CAI has to have the air filter in a position to draw in cold air. This would mean piping the air tract to somewhere cool. In the Cefiro, the best place for this would be to place the air filter inside the bumper, just behind the spotlight. If you remove the stock resonator that sits there, there is more than enough space. Unfortunately, in a country like Malaysia...you could be caught in a flash flood at any time and that position would be of marginal risk. Still, the water would have to be a foot high before it becomes a real problem.

Another option would be to have the filter inside the engine bay, then installing a small scoop on the bonnet of the car. he air filter would sit in a shielded box with the scoop forming the top of the box. The upper edges of the box sides would be lined with rubber to seal against the bonnet. Of course, you'd have to cut a hole so that cold air could reach the air filter...something most of us would not be keen to do.

A heat shield protecting the air filter is not to prevent hot air from reaching it. It is simply to prevent radiated heat from reaching it as most of these filters eg. Apexi, Razo, K & N etc. are made predominantly of fine stainless steel mesh that would pick up radiated heat.

All in all, throwing away the stock scoop and placing an air filter in a position behind the battery will do wonders for your torque. In no way will it ever reach a temperature where it could actually damage your engine or even reduce it's efficiency.

I once experimented with a CAI on my Celica. Now, the Celica GT4 is a true sports car, so it sits quite low. I piped the air filter all the way behind the bumper...and it sat about 6" above the ground. My friends nick-named my car "The Most Powerful Vacuum Cleaner in Singapore"!!!... :laugh:
def..yeah...got it wrong...found the answer from maxima.org thou....dont think CAI its practical here in KL coz of the rains n floods...not worth it...

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
A little crude..but it would work. I'd much rather have someone make me an aluminium adaptor. Just a plate with a circle bored through it..and weld a short 2" cylinder onto it to attach the air filter. Then line the edges of the adaptor with double sided tape to seal it and screw it in... much neater and more presentable... :smile:

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
defcon1 said:
A little crude..but it would work. I'd much rather have someone make me an aluminium adaptor. Just a plate with a circle bored through it..and weld a short 2" cylinder onto it to attach the air filter. Then line the edges of the adaptor with double sided tape to seal it and screw it in... much neater and more presentable... :smile:
maybe a group buy 2....hehehe

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ongteckweng said:
maybe a group buy 2....hehehe
Or have a chat with Uncle Richard...since I am sure he has the welding equipment to do it...lol...poor man... :laugh:

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
Alternatively, you can install pipes to guide fresh air into the open port filter.
Just like now Volvo did it. installing fins behind the grill to catch air and channel it to the air intake box. I buy this as CAI.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Melaka and would like to know if there's any good mechanic or workshop in the area, preferably familiar with performance mods etc..

Thank you very much,
4throttles.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience