castrol magnatec causes con rod bearing damage?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I think this is just a rumour or human nature to blame things when shit happens?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think this is just a rumour or human nature to blame things when shit happens?
Nope, there are many fake oil. Enforcement have caught and posted in Media also.
Most of them are famous brands (Of course, if not how to sell) and Magnetec is one of them...:banghead:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Nope, there are many fake oil. Enforcement have caught and posted in Media also.
Most of them are famous brands (Of course, if not how to sell) and Magnetec is one of them...:banghead:
So they are using the Castrol Bottles to put in recycle oils? Cuz I think if it is ori it wont cause
damages right?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So they are using the Castrol Bottles to put in recycle oils? Cuz I think if it is ori it wont cause
damages right?
Yup, problem could be they just filter the used oil clean and repack. That is why i mention even cheap brand oil can use but not imitation.
One spare part shop I went to mentioned they don't sell the Mobil 1 Gold because many imitation...:banghead:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, problem could be they just filter the used oil clean and repack. That is why i mention even cheap brand oil can use but not imitation.
One spare part shop I went to mentioned they don't sell the Mobil 1 Gold because many imitation...:banghead:
Wah, Mobil 1 Gold really daylight robbery if imitation :stoned:
So the only way to avoid is get from petrol stations or TESCO Hypermarkets.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
damages right?
This is debatable. Based on how Magnatec claims to work ("Clings onto your metal parts to help lubricate"), it's debatable whether the properties of the oil when exposed to certain conditions might result in unfavorable situations. Kinda like how a car can get their oil sump clogged with gunk left behind by engine additives.

Wah, Mobil 1 Gold really daylight robbery if imitation :stoned:
So the only way to avoid is get from petrol stations or TESCO Hypermarkets.
Or from people who actually work at the company and is having a employee sale. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This is debatable. Based on how Magnatec claims to work ("Clings onto your metal parts to help lubricate"), it's debatable whether the properties of the oil when exposed to certain conditions might result in unfavorable situations. Kinda like how a car can get their oil sump clogged with gunk left behind by engine additives.

Or from people who actually work at the company and is having a employee sale. :biggrin:
Yup, just that it will be original but not much cheaper. My brother used to work for Exxon and minimum purchase is by cartons....:banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Yup, just that it will be original but not much cheaper. My brother used to work for Exxon and minimum purchase is by cartons....:banghead:

can open group buy :itsme:

k0pi

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Kota Bharu
Helo, just my 2cents about Magnatec. I do come to know original Castrol Magnatec, has the service reminder plastic (nearly vinyl quality, difficult to remove from the label) sticker label at the back of the bottle while fake ones don't. Fake ones just a print on the label at the back of the bottle.

I doubt magnatec is suitable for rev-happy drivers' car in long term. It's just mineral oil grade with special synthetic additives but that doesn't make it a semi synthetic oil suitable for sportive purposes. It's meant for normal passenger car where sportive driving is a rare occasion. The good bit is - it is a very good engine oil for old engines that has clocked more than 200,000km, better than GTX, Eneos or Shell Helix mineral grade I'd say. My old-man's Mazda BG 1.6 Sohc carbie with more than 400,000kms on it runs on Magnatec and it's working smooth without much noise from the cam-rockers despite going down on viscosity from GTX 20W50 to Mag15W40, and the engine doesn't emit much heat anymore on hillclimbs. Different when its running on GTX or Eneos.

However, it doesn't work well with my 4G92p after compression increased and lightening of some internal parts. It burns out quick and engine's a little hot, despite it doesn't make my engine go noisy or actually dampens performance - but I hated the extra temperature and the fact the oil burnt away. Changed to Idemitsu's Extreme Touring 15W40 and worked well with oil level and heat issue.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh that reminds me. I think Castrol had to sue someone or some organisation because of their oil classification. The body classified it as a mineral oil and Castrol had it thrown out and then later reclassified it as semi-syn. Can't remember the exact story but there was some huge hoo-hah about that oil classification case. Can't remember whether it was Magnatec or not. Whatever the case the oil was in some grey area a cross between mineral and synthetic or something. Very suspicious that they had to sue to get it done like that.