Carbed 4A-GE Anyone? :)

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
(PS: You may have read and seen this Kambing at www.drift.com.my and www.olskool.org)

It does seem that the majority of 4A-GE runners here (probably 99.9%) are very much tied with EFi.

Well I have gone the least trodden path and decided that my 4A-GE now will run on carbies :D
Actually this is a growing "trend" everywhere else from Philippines to USA to New Zealand and it can be seen growing in numbers at www.club4ag.com

Ok enough talk, here's the real deal. I have acquired a Redtop NON TVIS 16V 7 Rib bottom end and matched it with an AE86 Bluetop head. The head has been completely reworked with a stage 2 P&P. Equipped with the following gears:
- Mikuni (SOLEX) PHH44 Twin Side draughts
- URS 4A-GE Manifold
- URS "Donuts" short Velocity Stacks
- HKS 256/7.9mm Intake and Exhaust Cams
- Metal Head Gasket
- Mallory CDI Hyfire 6EZ + Mallory Promaster e-Coils
- 4Ke Custom Distributors
- Ultra Silicone Plug Wires + NGK BKR6EVX Plugs
* and many more.....

Now enjoy the videos :D

YouTube- Kamben Test Revving.flv

YouTube- Starlet KP61 4A-GE Mikuni Solex before tuning

YouTube- Starlet KP61 4A-GE Mikuni Solex after tuning

See this goat in action at MUSC Drag Challange this month end at Cyberjaya :D
(The first attempt failed miserably with a DNS/DNF due to unforseen problems)

Last edited:

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
fuh...mantop...the sound so damn nice...how is the FC ??? i wanna put also but scared of daily traffic ohhh....

GSRTurbo

500 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
woahh... nice sound and set up. wats the power w the hks cams?

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
FC is so-so with the current jetting. Depends on Jets used, FC can be easily controlled.

Power wise dunno yet as will only dyno after change clutch and pressure plate. Now lots of slippage due to worn used clutch.

:)

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
My foreman has a 4AGE 16V with twin carb. Was previously running with Toda 288 8.5lift with toda piston and other toda stuff. Somehow, he claims that this setup was better than running 4throttle from blacktop (previously installed EFI setup from blacktop).

aziziell

1,500 RPM
May 9, 2007
botak mega project ni.....gud luck bro for u in musc drag..
bro..wanna ask u some question..did musc marshall did stroker test during scrutineering to every engine in 1.6 category that u join last time...

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
azizel...MUSC scrutineering check gitu2 je...bukak bonet tengok2 & pass hehehehehe. Like that I put 7A oso they dono hehehehe

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
azizel...MUSC scrutineering check gitu2 je...bukak bonet tengok2 & pass hehehehehe. Like that I put 7A oso they dono hehehehe
sekali dorang bukak bonet, ternmpk no block 7a...kantoi tu...wakakak..hehe..tp salute bro..mmg sedap the sound..hehehe...

Last edited:

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
(PS: You may have read and seen this Kambing at www.drift.com.my and www.olskool.org)

It does seem that the majority of 4A-GE runners here (probably 99.9%) are very much tied with EFi.

Well I have gone the least trodden path and decided that my 4A-GE now will run on carbies :D
Actually this is a growing "trend" everywhere else from Philippines to USA to New Zealand and it can be seen growing in numbers at www.club4ag.com

Ok enough talk, here's the real deal. I have acquired a Redtop NON TVIS 16V 7 Rib bottom end and matched it with an AE86 Bluetop head. The head has been completely reworked with a stage 2 P&P. Equipped with the following gears:
- Mikuni (SOLEX) PHH44 Twin Side draughts
- URS 4A-GE Manifold
- URS "Donuts" short Velocity Stacks
- HKS 256/7.9mm Intake and Exhaust Cams
- Metal Head Gasket
- Mallory CDI Hyfire 6EZ + Mallory Promaster e-Coils
- 4Ke Custom Distributors
- Ultra Silicone Plug Wires + NGK BKR6EVX Plugs
* and many more.....

Now enjoy the videos :D

YouTube- Kamben Test Revving.flv

YouTube- Starlet KP61 4A-GE Mikuni Solex before tuning

YouTube- Starlet KP61 4A-GE Mikuni Solex after tuning

See this goat in action at MUSC Drag Challange this month end at Cyberjaya :D
(The first attempt failed miserably with a DNS/DNF due to unforseen problems)
Nice...here is my 2 cents
solex 44 too big for 256 cams...should run 288 or 304 cams with solex 44.
Q: where you want your power band?256cams perhaps run with solex 40.The 44 with 288 or 304 cams could take u between 5k-10k rpm(with the proper jetting)

you will probably need a electric fuel pump and regulator(i ran 2 of each)

cam tuning for 256 nor so critical but for higher cams u need a dial gauge

idling sounds rough from vid about 1500.I had(many years ago) idling at 800 (with weber45's and 304 hi-lift cams)

Not sure about your distributor and coils...coil can use back toyota slightly later version...say 3S

If u intend to run higher RPM later on maybe up your NGK heat range to 7 or 8

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
1JZTezza, this Starlet will serve three distinct purposes. When I received the whole URS/Mikuni assembly - it was indeed jetted with 200 Air Jet/150 Main Jet/57.5 Pilot Jet which were meant for cams with 272-288/9mm lift. For daily road use, I am acquiring 120-130 Main Jets to go with the 256/7.9mm cams. But in battle mode, I will swap in a 288/9mm cams which is intended to give powerband within 6000-9000RPM. - This setup is for SIC Track Days and Sprint Events. For AutoX the setup will be similar to Road setup.

I am quite happy with my ignition system now as it fares very well with the somewhat rich AFR. Using stock Toyota coils will have tendency to bog the revs.

And yes the fuel pump has been upgraded as well, using Mitsubishi Electronic carb pump which is quite fast is float spool (stops when it is full). Since using it no more shortage of fuel supply :)

My kambeng is still in the process of tuning and I would expect to do it still on regular basis to suit different needs :)

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
Its just too time consuming to swap cams.You cannot expect shimming to be accurate.!May be easier to have another cylinder head.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

MMER 2011 brings together many great teams with amazing cars. Here is the compilation of some of the most interesting and exciting cars from this year's race including car like the BMW Z4 M GT3, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3, Audi R8 LMS GT3, Lamborghini Gallardo GT3, REITER Engineering Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 GT3, Ferrari 458 GT3, Matech Ford GT GT3, Mosler MT900R GT3
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience