Car Suppliers Developing Next-Gen Electronic Brakes

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007

Electronic braking systems have been a major source of interest in the motor industry for years now but the idea of replacing slow and outdated hydraulic systems with instant-response electronic systems is nothing new. The aeronautical industry has been using electronic set-ups for years while the auto industry has continued to lag behind. Part of the reason is the increased cost and the stigma behind the failure of electronic systems due to possible glitches. Hydraulic brakes on the other hand offer a physical process of braking that cannot be disturbed by a faulty electronic system.

Bosch, Continental, Siemens and other car parts suppliers have been developing electronic braking systems for some time now and claim they are closing to overcoming these problems. Of these, Continental is closest to a production ready electronic braking system after acquiring and passing up on a previous electronic wedge brake technology and instead focusing on a new design of its own, reports Automotive News.

Continental is in fact working on a new non-hydraulic-spindle-based system for the rear axles only, with a view to combine this technology with the wedge brake in the future. The advantage of using the spindle-based system is that many of the parts used in the system are shared with hydraulic brakes which will keep costs down. Fully electronic brakes are currently around 20% more expensive than hydraulic brake systems due to the fact that they must have a backup system in the case of an electronic failure. You may recall Mercedes’ recall of its Sensotronic electrohydraulic brakes six years ago.

So are electronic brakes worth all this effort of extra manufacturing costs, government legislation and consumer mindset change? According to a study done by the Dekra institute in Germany of the electronic wedge brake, stopping distances can be improved by 15% over conventional brakes. Something that should have the motor industry and motorists sitting up and taking notice of electronic braking systems and their ability to make our roads a little bit safer.

Source:
Motor Authority

xenith

May 31, 2007
Totally agree....

hoxy

Known Member
Oct 8, 2007
but it can be a matter of life and death...

ongwoeiluen

Known Member
Oct 14, 2004
nowhere
What if the electronic thing go crazy. i know electronic the brake wont jam wont leak fluid but what if it go voodoo or crazy or sick...i still like hydrolic brake....at the end everything still depend on driving skill....

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
In the future we won't be bragging about how many pots our calipers have. Rather we'll be going on about the wattage of our brakes.

rusifiz

Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
kl-sban
www.fgsn9.com
siemens VDO.. quite a nice concept..
the question is.. will it be as reliable as the hydraulic system?

yeah I agree, if it's implemented.. people will be bragging about how many watts they have on the calipers.. hehehhe

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
have you seen how many Siemens VDO meter cluster failed in Protons?
i've reliable sources that mentioned that Siemens VDO is trying very hard to cut costs down... which includes sourcing for cheaper materials... i'll see who will dare to use these parts from them....

if endless, project miu, brembo or APP do it... i'll have the confidence... but not siemens VDO.

Last edited:

takata69

Known Member
Apr 7, 2006
what is gonna happen if this device install in proton cars???:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hai i am very new here... 1st i wan to say hai... 2nd i have a few question hope all the sifu out there can help me out!!! thanks in advance!!!

my question is i am drivin a putra bout 2 years already so bout 5 month back i decided to mod my baby...

when to the workshop and this is wat i did to my engine pnp, over size 1.8 piston,j5 ecu,metal casket, system,rsm meter, rpw valve springs 288 high cams, stnd filter(ha ha ha), i fine standard better!!,2.2 straight flow pipe!! so my...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience