car skid

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Threshold braking and late braking is different than braking in the corner. It's easier to control an oversteer than an understeer!
From what I read, most stock cars especially sedan are designed to understeer rather than oversteer right? I mean from the factory set up?

They said it is because it is easier for a driver to control the car be it experienced or inexperienced
drivers.

There was once I whack a corner by hitting the brakes hard, my car skidded...well that is one wet road though :rofl: and on Silverstone tyres...:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Read it somewhere can't remember, it says it is easier to counter steer a car that understeered than designing a car to oversteer like last time...

(Kazukimy, ur car FR ma...surely oversteer easier for u to control...can drift LOL!)

kazukimy

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2006
KL/Pahang
devil-home.blogspot.com
erm, because of the momentum shift to the front side of the car (usually 60-40 in most car due to the weight of the engine) where the amount of stress on both front tyres were quite immense, hence losing traction and unable to control the 'understeer' angle no matter where u had change the steering due to the force/momentum that still forcing the car to move forward. whereas oversteer where ur rear slip whereas ur front still have somewhat grip to control where the 'head' of the car was heading, hence in my opinion, oversteer is easier to control rather than understeer, since nowadays most car have abs,ebd and vsc...understeer seldom happened unless u went over treshold limit or off the vsc..wakaka...:smokin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
erm, because of the momentum shift to the front side of the car (usually 60-40 in most car due to the weight of the engine) where the amount of stress on both front tyres were quite immense, hence losing traction and unable to control the 'understeer' angle no matter where u had change the steering due to the force/momentum that still forcing the car to move forward. whereas oversteer where ur rear slip whereas ur front still have somewhat grip to control where the 'head' of the car was heading, hence in my opinion, oversteer is easier to control rather than understeer, since nowadays most car have abs,ebd and vsc...understeer seldom happened unless u went over treshold limit or off the vsc..wakaka...:smokin:
So with VSC on, the possibility of Oversteer is more likely? Never off TRC before...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
the best is don simply steer...dangerous...

seviates

Nov 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, if your heading towards Sunway toll from say D'sara, there's a left turn heading to taylors college/hostel if not mistaken.There is
a road going further up straight and one really sharp bend going right uphill across the LDP
I kinda felt the rear just swing off but i was in ctrl of the front wheels and i did not apply brakes till the i knew i was going hit the divider
and yes the steering does not go back to center
the tires seem pretty alright still, my thoughts is that i feel like the car flying off even cornering on a road that
has small cracks and patches.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

There are only a few things that I can think of that causes that sort of skid :

1. Crappy tyres like Bridgestone MY01 tyres. I experienced the same thing as you at 20km/h.
2. You have overly aggressive or incorrectly set toe and camber settings. Usually apparent when driving straight and the car is fidgety.
3. Remove whatever bars you have especially the rear upper room bar. That one causes extremely oversteer-y issues.
4. If your steering isn't turning back, you need a new one. My steering rack died after issue #1.
5. Bent absorbers and/or springs. Dead absorbers and springs will just make your ride dead awful.
6. Dead bushes that change the geometry of your wheels.
7. Overly aggressive brakes that you stomped on mid corner. You shouldn't need to brake in a corner at those speeds.
# 4, 5 and 6 seem like the case, owh yeah i changed the steering rack and while checking 2 days ago, i found leakage like this oil is sprayed all over the rack area stains on the horn as well.
Thanks for all the input, jotting down all the possibilities

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Guys, if your heading towards Sunway toll from say D'sara, there's a left turn heading to taylors college/hostel if not mistaken.There is
a road going further up straight and one really sharp bend going right uphill across the LDP
I kinda felt the rear just swing off but i was in ctrl of the front wheels and i did not apply brakes till the i knew i was going hit the divider
and yes the steering does not go back to center
the tires seem pretty alright still, my thoughts is that i feel like the car flying off even cornering on a road that has small cracks and patches.
Try downhill next time, that leads u to Sunway Toll. I drive on that road quite often last time...so coming down the slope with the sharp bent, yes I felt my rear swings a little...

Tyres were screeching as well...but use to it, I know the it is screeching but still enough to grip at the speed I'm going...kinda get addicted to it :rofl:

End up skidded when try on other corners in Jalan Kuching when ground is wet LOL!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
SupraFan : dude.. for understeer the only thing you can do is try to power out and hope it grips. Oversteer you can counter.

In most emergency cases, the average driver will jam on the brakes and if you're understeering, good luck with full wheel lock if no ABS. Oversteer is dangerous mainly because in the event the car oversteers to the point of no return, you get a 180 turn and end up in the wrong direction. Understeer you just don't turn as accurately as you like but at the same time you have less control. I guess it all boils down to experience.

Oversteer is fun though. :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
SupraFan : dude.. for understeer the only thing you can do is try to power out and hope it grips. Oversteer you can counter.

In most emergency cases, the average driver will jam on the brakes and if you're understeering, good luck with full wheel lock if no ABS. Oversteer is dangerous mainly because in the event the car oversteers to the point of no return, you get a 180 turn and end up in the wrong direction. Understeer you just don't turn as accurately as you like but at the same time you have less control. I guess it all boils down to experience.

Oversteer is fun though. :biggrin:
Appreciate for the further elaboration on questions...:adore:

Thanks BRO!

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

It reminds me on how I skidded...understeered on wet road...cant control at all no matter how I turn...couldn't try power out as well...
ground is wet...brakes not working...saved by the curb.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It reminds me on how I skidded...understeered on wet road...cant control at all no matter how I turn...couldn't try power out as well...
ground is wet...brakes not working...saved by the curb.
Aquaplaning in a corner? Wah.. that's just bloody dangerous. Can't do sh*t in that sort of situation. Or perhaps it your tyres that need changing?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys,

recently, i found my car totally unreliable for cornering
just days ago, i took a simple sharp turn and the cat skid
spun and hit the divider (bumper cracked)
i can understand if i had gone really fast, it was 40-50kmh
on 2nd gear.
I noticed this on highways too.
whenever there is a corner and slight uneven road,
the car is like trying to throw me off and i feel like
the back half of the car is not really holding the ground
i have changed drive shaft,steering rack, suspension mountings, steering bush

one thing i noticed i noticed is when turn the steering full either left or right
and then let go,the steering does not come back to correct position, its like it
something not balanced
using a putra and need you guys advise. I dont feel safe driving that fella right now
Hmm probably the simplest thing to do is check your wheel alignment first, since you said your tyres are still pretty new. Misaligned wheels can easily make the car handling nervous. But again, a car spun can be because of many other things too:
- still going too fast for that corner, and/or
- you entered too fast and then abruptly lift up the gas in mid corner, and/or
- braked too hard mid corner, and/or
- brake balance is too much at the rear which makes the rear locks up first, and/or
- the corner is off camber, and/or
- has a bump in mid corner that upset the car especially if you already have a broken damper/shock absorbers, and/or
- got oil/slippery stuff, and/or
- your steering input was too inconsistent/not smooth, etc2.