Car & Name. Do they make any differences?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Car manufacturer always the "best" names to their product. The Car.

Some cars' name gives aggressive impression, wow factor, macho, performance, " R", etc such as Dodge Viper, GTR, LandRover Defender, Mazda Fighter,
Some cars' name given based on Codes -AE86, Ta22, M30,
Some cars' name given based on Acronym - NSX, MR2, GT40
Some cars' name based on word that is made-up -Mazda Bongo, Savvy, SsangYong Actyon

From your knowledge, what name of car lives up to your expectation
and which car name is a total disaster or plain stupid?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Toyota Supra, Altezza, Soarer, Nissan Skyline, NSX, 3000GT, and too much to list meets up to my expectation.

Worse car name and make....needless to say is the Proton Tiara and the coffin car Proton Juara also not to forget proton Savvy and Renault kangoo :banghead:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'll probably say the old Lexus related Toyota model names are quite good. Altezza, Aristo, Celsior, Soarer, Windom, Harrier...

Bad names? Maybe you can do some research about many recent Chinese cars from China....

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Tiara and Juara is quite a good name..it have some meaning..

Volkswagen The Thing
Jaguar Vanden Plas
Renault Le Car
Fairthrope Electron
Argyll Turbospeed
Zhejiang UFO
Chery QQ
Honda Civic

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya Tiara is a and Juara is a good name but doesnt blend well with the car that they name with it.
Honda Civic is a good name though.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
The best name for you may not be the best name for me. Italian car maker Lancia, which has a very distinctive record in rallying, has a name that sounds quite not right for the Chinese -- phonetically means penis. Would you like to drive a penis?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Nissan BlueBird....BlueBird in Hokkien....Nissan LanJiao
I think Perodua cars name is also not nice one....name after animals....mainly the Kancil, Kenari, Kelisa, Rusa, Wonder when will have Gajah...Also the Toyota Unser...unsure...Kijang...again animal....

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
More like Toyota uncle....LOL mostly uncles driving.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nissan BlueBird....BlueBird in Hokkien....Nissan LanJiao
I think Perodua cars name is also not nice one....name after animals....mainly the Kancil, Kenari, Kelisa, Rusa, Wonder when will have Gajah...Also the Toyota Unser...unsure...Kijang...again animal....
Gajah? when the Perodua Big MPV comes out.....:rofl::rofl:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Mercedes and BMW has the best naming conventions (I feel).

Exxx or 5xx, the first alphabet denotes the model, and the numbers behind the displacement (but now its more of an indication of the displacement output, since small displacement with turbo came into the picture).

It is short, easy to understand, easy to communicate to others, and it has a long lineage. Both BMW and Mercedes makes it easy to refer to a specific model year, with model numbers i.e. E60, W212 etc.

Stupid names are like Proton Preve, it cannot be spelled out, cannot be typed out unless you take the time to figure out how to type the styled e (which I did not). Suprima S is another stupid name. What is the S for? There's no Suprima, then what is the Suprima S? VW didn't call their normal Golf as Golf R. R stood for something, not just adding silly letters to the name and make it look canggih. Kepala otak only canggih to you.

I agree names like Tiara and Juara is good. Saga, Wira, I have no qualms. Arena had a nice ring to it. Inspira is also a good name. Savvy..omg bodoh name.

Perodua names were stupid as well with the animals. If they made a full size MPV maybe they call it Gajah, Gergasi or Paus. Thank god new names like Myvi, Alza, Nautica..sounds good, modern.

Companies like Ferrari, Lambo can afford to go with more fancy names because they have smaller range of cars, and less general models, and each special/limited model is, well, limited.. its a different type of market they address.