Car cannot start

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sometimes jump starting using cables might not work if the battery is really out of juice due to being idle for too long. What you need to do is just swap the battery (if you have another one), start the car then quickly swap the battery back while the car is still running. Then just leave it for some time or drive around to charge the old battery back.
If cable is with thin type then cannot. Got one time ex colleague called say car cannot start, so we drove to her house, to check it out. Turn key to crank got tak tak sound only. So she show us her jumper cable she has, then we hook to our donor car, but still cannot start. Told her maybe starter kaput, so we call our mechanic. He came took out his thick giant cable to jump start. Immediate loud crank and car started.

Our company audio show car, battery flat. It was completely flat as no tak sound even. Colleague took out his jumper cable to jump start got tak sound only. Then call me if I can help. I took my jumper cable add to his (double cable) and car started....:driver:

Your way sure can start, more work only......hhhahahhahah

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If cable is with thin type then cannot. Got one time ex colleague called say car cannot start, so we drove to her house, to check it out. Turn key to crank got tak tak sound only. So she show us her jumper cable she has, then we hook to our donor car, but still cannot start. Told her maybe starter kaput, so we call our mechanic. He came took out his thick giant cable to jump start. Immediate loud crank and car started.

Our company audio show car, battery flat. It was completely flat as no tak sound even. Colleague took out his jumper cable to jump start got tak sound only. Then call me if I can help. I took my jumper cable add to his (double cable) and car started....:driver:

Your way sure can start, more work only......hhhahahhahah
Yes, if emergency then just do like what I mentioned rather than keep looking around for thicker cables which still does not guarantee will work. So it's good if you know how to do swap batteries quickly while the engine is still running, then you don't depend on the cables as much.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes, if emergency then just do like what I mentioned rather than keep looking around for thicker cables which still does not guarantee will work. So it's good if you know how to do swap batteries quickly while the engine is still running, then you don't depend on the cables as much.
My first intention was to inform if anyone is buying a jumper cable go for thick one. To get someone to loan the car to jump will be easier to ask whoever to remove his battery and loan to you to start the car.....hhahahhahahhaha:rofl:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My first intention was to inform if anyone is buying a jumper cable go for thick one. To get someone to loan the car to jump will be easier to ask whoever to remove his battery and loan to you to start the car.....hhahahhahahhaha:rofl:
Yes but knowing how to do it fast is no harm either coz you might really need it one day. You may think the cable you buy is thick enough but if unlucky might still be not enough (the cable is thick just because of the insulator thick but not the inside!). Of course you remove the car battery yourself la, don't ask the other guy to remove it for you leh! :biggrin:

Salmaan

May 13, 2009
Kisumu, Kenya
Hi,

Hope issue has been sorted out. In regards to jumper cables the thicker the better, here we get cables marked 600amp but when you look at the conductor core its the diameter of a toothpick. Best is go to an electrical store and buy heavy gauge cable 50mm Square. The clamps use the ready made cables clamps guess thats the only thing good on them.

As for the weird smell from exhaust thats normal for a car thats been sitting for so long, top up with fresh petrol or drive until empty and fill up. either ways smell will go away.

LOL all this done practically as sometimes leave my car for months without starting.

Hope all goes well with yours.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes but knowing how to do it fast is no harm either coz you might really need it one day. You may think the cable you buy is thick enough but if unlucky might still be not enough (the cable is thick just because of the insulator thick but not the inside!). Of course you remove the car battery yourself la, don't ask the other guy to remove it for you leh! :biggrin:
When I buy the cable I actually open and check the inside wire core.....hhahahhahah

The thing is loan car owner will most probably let you jump but most will not let you remove his battery.....lol

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
May not be the starter also. Like mine is new starter but like you mentioned sometimes work, sometimes don't. Is due to old wiring or ignition switch, too much resistance. Adding the relay hooks up current direct from battery mah......lol
Well you are right but if the car is over 12 years old, I think it makes sense to have it replaced. Carbon build ups after so many years in the starter motor.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
thickness of jumper cable makes sense. I had a set which I got from Jusco. It was crappy. After a few failed start up, the cable was so hot that it almost melted the cable. Then I borrowed one from a friend which was ticker and he added 'amplifier cable' between the terminals and it worked just with one crank.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi,

Hope issue has been sorted out. In regards to jumper cables the thicker the better, here we get cables marked 600amp but when you look at the conductor core its the diameter of a toothpick. Best is go to an electrical store and buy heavy gauge cable 50mm Square. The clamps use the ready made cables clamps guess thats the only thing good on them.

As for the weird smell from exhaust thats normal for a car thats been sitting for so long, top up with fresh petrol or drive until empty and fill up. either ways smell will go away.

LOL all this done practically as sometimes leave my car for months without starting.

Hope all goes well with yours.
I bought my cable long ago before understanding or experiencing what I post above. Thereafter I use electrical cable and hook up the other side of the clamp, means now my jumper cable have double cable.....lol:rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
thickness of jumper cable makes sense. I had a set which I got from Jusco. It was crappy. After a few failed start up, the cable was so hot that it almost melted the cable. Then I borrowed one from a friend which was ticker and he added 'amplifier cable' between the terminals and it worked just with one crank.
Yah! most of the cable sold in hypermarket are crap....:smokin:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Original usually cost very high. Mine was recon was already RM200 plus.
Just sharing my thoughts... I was skeptical of getting a new car due to the steep depreciation as the first owner. I have owned 10 cars in my life and out of them, only 3 bought new. Proton Satria 1.3GLi, Nissan Sentra N16 1.6 SG and now, the HRV.

However after so many years (since my first car in 1992), getting the car repaired due to aging issue is a true hassle. Problems pop up out of sudden and sometimes, hamper with drivability too. Which means the car cannot be driven safely at all. This is really paranoid for my wife. What if the car breaks down at no where.

Come to think of it, a new car is totally new up to a single screw. Yes, new car will breakdown too but the possibility is very less compared to older cars.

As I grew older, I do not mind trading performance and style with reliability and peace of mind.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Just sharing my thoughts... I was skeptical of getting a new car due to the steep depreciation as the first owner. I have owned 10 cars in my life and out of them, only 3 bought new. Proton Satria 1.3GLi, Nissan Sentra N16 1.6 SG and now, the HRV.

However after so many years (since my first car in 1992), getting the car repaired due to aging issue is a true hassle. Problems pop up out of sudden and sometimes, hamper with drivability too. Which means the car cannot be driven safely at all. This is really paranoid for my wife. What if the car breaks down at no where.

Come to think of it, a new car is totally new up to a single screw. Yes, new car will breakdown too but the possibility is very less compared to older cars.

As I grew older, I do not mind trading performance and style with reliability and peace of mind.
That is why I drive old car and my wife gets to drive the new car......hhahhahahhahah:rofl:
But even for wife if getting old car, not too old loh. 3 years old still safe, and most depreciation is from the first two to three years....:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hye everyone...i'm driving campro 1.6...my question is if i wanted to change my clutch pump, is there any racing clutch pump selling out there or can i use honda clutch pump instead oem clutch pump???help me out...:confused::confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience