Car Alternator or Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Car Talk' started by Mitevo7, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

I think i will start from checking the refrigerant pressure first, easiest and cheapest to rectify the issues before i move on to the larger problem.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. skokoman

skokoman New Member

I had similar problems with my car ( another model) , guy in service told me, that this is alternator problems. I had to buy another alternator on boodmo.com . Good , that problem solved after that. I was afraid that I was wasting my money.

#82 skokoman, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  3. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

Strangely enough, when i was using AC at level 3 fan speed, the A/C works just fine, the A/C slow working happens at level 1 and 2 fan speed. Guess i just need to crank up the fan speed at 3 and drive it for few weeks before do anything.

Thanks,
    Ken

4. gunnerzz

gunnerzz Well-Known Member

My BLM sometimes wont run at all if i put to fan speed 3 or 4. But this is due to that speed is rarely used almost to the point of never used and most probably the contact point in the switch is corroded or not contacting properly.

Got one time the connector on the circuit board in the aircond control panel is broken and i had so improvise by soldering wire directly to the board, i had to dismantle the blower fan speed coz its in the way. After reinstall, need to wiggle the switch when using speed 2 or 3 if the aircond refuses to switch on..Now everythin is working fine.

5. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

That is interesting, because the fan switch when on, just activate the compressor, so is funny you say run better at higher fan speed. Maybe higher fan speed you feel the cool air so think is running better?

6. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

Hi,

Not quite, when on speed 3, i can hear the compressor working like on time before the freon ran out. Like i said the timing is accurate when the compressor kicks in. According to the aircond guy who modded the a/c system of my E46, the timing can be adjusted somehow, though i don't know how is it being adjusted?

Thanks,
    Ken

7. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

That timing thing is something new. I only know there is air con switch and fan switch. Both need to be on the activate the air con system. Fan on, air con off get fan air only. Anyway get yours checked and inform us what was wrong, need new input......:driver:

8. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

Dude's finally got back to me, he is referring to the thermostat settings, too high, the compressor won't work, too low, the compressor work's too damn much and burn out the clutch. My situation now may due to slightly high thermostat settings.

Anyone can back this statement up?

Thanks,
    Ken

9. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Thermostat then correct, but even if low or high setting, the moment the car starts, compressor should engage because have not reach the settings yet. Hotter setting it will cut off faster, maximum cold setting then it will work most of the time

10. Mitevo7

Mitevo7 Senior Member

Then i will ask them to adjust slightly colder settings, normally i like drive with 2 speed fan only at 20 degrees.

Thanks,
    Ken