Can VTEC engine use RON95?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi bros,

Just want to know is it ok for VTEC engine to use RON95 fuel as now RON97 price is picking up & up again. Heard it will goes up again by end of this month.

1. Ok to use RON95?

2. Will RON95 damage our VTEC engine for long term?

Just scare that RON97 will be back to RM2.70 :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, vtec engines with knock sensor and knock board equipped ecu's can run ron95 without issues. For those suffering knock due to not using the above setup, retarding the statice Ignition by two degrees should do it without needing to retune. For those modified to higher compression, might need more retard since their ecu mapping is more aggresive, but this might increase engine temperature. By how much, I dunno since dependent on the compression you run.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Of course, if you run custom ecu mapping, this is another story, and retarding your ignition is a sure way to reduce power, but it is a way you can run the engine with ron95.

Already tried this when not all petrol stations carry 97 RON long ago

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
I am using RON95 since day one ..

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Oh. Which mean there is no issue use RON95 petrol on all VTEC engines. That's good...:biggrin:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Oh. Which mean there is no issue use RON95 petrol on all VTEC engines. That's good...:biggrin:
Only if your engine is standard with standard ECU.. if not so standard, might have knocking.. so have to retard timing.

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
mmm.. my b16b experienced some bubbling noises (brupp brupp) coming from exhaust when using RON95....

This is not evident when I switched to RON97, i achieved better mileage with RON97 than RON95 though.... (so I've used RON97 since then)

FYI, my engine is stock other than normal mods such as IHE

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
mmm.. my b16b experienced some bubbling noises (brupp brupp) coming from exhaust when using RON95....

This is not evident when I switched to RON97, i achieved better mileage with RON97 than RON95 though.... (so I've used RON97 since then)

FYI, my engine is stock other than normal mods such as IHE
If you really want to use RON95, find a mechanic with an adjustable timing light (the ones that can dial back from zero) and retard igntion by a degree or two. It'll reduce power a bit, but should help make your car idle better.

Still, if you can afford RON97, use it. I'm still using RON97 even though I can detune my car to run RON95.

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
Yes.. Adjustment/tuning might get the engine running nicely with RON95.

I'm sticking wit RON97 just becuz it gave me better power/torque and better mileage. ;-)

But if RON97 goes to $2.70 per liter, I'm gonna seriously think about getting the Honda Insight.

Hybrid cars are not taxed by our Gov, dun wan let them earn the car's taxes.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
i wish i could continue using ron97 but i stopped since the price was at 2.05...i've retarded till no more knocking(no strobe tuning but ear tuning) n used ron95 since then. now when i take off from a junction...can hear BRRRRRRRRROP but no go.

i hate my life.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
this is the time when you find that having a standalone is good.
Can always retune to run ron95 without the brooop sound. :P

Anyway, if fuel prices go up somemore, who knows? maybe I can buy supercharger/turbocharger kit for cheap as people sell off theirs.. hahaha..

Californians have been running 91octane for years for their turbos
(they use AKI, also known as PON, (Ron/mon)/2, etc), not RON rating like Malaysia.

so 91 octane for them is like 95RON for Malaysia.) They even have our old 92RON fuel, which they rate as 87 octane

Here's a discussion of it.
http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/us-octane-vs-other-countries-octane-ratings-59435/

So why worry? It's not like it's 91-92RON like a few years ago.. just tune to new fuel.. and don't push the ignition so high..
I think for N/A,. horsepower losses will be minimal (since we don't make 300+hp anyway) for turbos, I expect the losses to be higher..

Hey, I tried running 95 octane last time when not all petrol station carry them.

Last edited:

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
So, it's make sense to conclude that all K20A-R in DC5R,EP3R,CL7 (except FD2R-Donno why as mentioned by Honda M'sia) safe using Ron95?

just bertanya..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
So, it's make sense to conclude that all K20A-R in DC5R,EP3R,CL7 (except FD2R-Donno why as mentioned by Honda M'sia) safe using Ron95?

just bertanya..
Those are non ignition adjustable cars, as they run individual coil packs so they have to depend on the knock sensor to retard ignition, it's a response system, it retards at the first sign of knock so for cars that already run high ignition timings, the first knock may be permanently damaging.

For older gens, the timing is adjustable via the distributor, and the initial setting for most old gen honda are set conservatively, and doesn't really knock easily/excessively unless unreasonable loads are forced on them (hence the statement of being stock)

The higher you are from sea level, the less octane is needed, due to lower air pressures at higher altitude which reduces compression in car engines. As most of us live near sea level, we can't run away from using higher octane.

So Honda Malaysia is right on not recommending RON95 on those cars.

Then again, Cali users have been stuck using 91AKI/95RON for ages.. it could be that their stock ECUs are mapped for their climate, and considerations of locale. They also have region specific models, so I can't say for sure about newer generations of hondas like you stated.

Actually for more info, you can call up Shell and Honda Malaysia, and they do entertain these kinds of enquiries.. just that most people don't know about it. I know Shell has a customer service line for these enquiries.. not sure for other fuel companies as I've only talked to Shell people about it.

Shell Customer Service
Contact Our Customer Service Centre - Malaysia

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005

just bertanya..
Honda Malaysia didn't sell DC5, EP3R, CL7... so why they bother?? :biggrin::biggrin:

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Honda Malaysia didn't sell DC5, EP3R, CL7... so why they bother?? :biggrin::biggrin:
Yer la. Why must Honda bother as they are not selling those model! hehehe

I've accidently full-tanked my CL7R with Ron95 sometimes last year..so just drive off until it completely finished. The only side-effect that I noticed was the exhaust produce boom-boom sound & car felt a bit heavy.

Hopefully no side effect or nothing..so far no problem until today.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

considering dropping either a 4g93 or 4g63 into my 2001 lancer, any comments on the fit? i.e. engine mounts positioning.

and also the cost?

used to play civic so not too sure abt lancer....anyone have any workshops in jb to recommend?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience