Buying an Altezza

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
hi to all altezza sifu out there,i need answer asap...previously i was choosing celica n altezza and then finnally i wish to settle wit altezza,2day i went and test drive an altezza which is auto,then i feel the car is kind of...no power....the rest of it i really like the car..

then i come back tell my fren...when i told him no power he ask me izit sure its rs200? bcoz mraket alot 4speed auto 160hp...i say duno bcoz i feel like no power....
when i pop up the hood it is clear n loud black top BEAMS....so is it 200hp?

http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+ALTEZZA+2...EC-7612607.htm

i need answer to clear my dilemma else i would juz rather settle wit other car....bcoz i think my moms camry has better power if the unit i tested is 200hp...lol

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
ok...i tested the 1 with red beams...means its 200hp rite
so it means most altezza out there are also code name rs200z?

Genezza

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
wat kind of power u r looking for ? bear in mind its a FR NA car.. and that car u mention is with 18" rim.. so u have to determine first.. wat power u looking for ? don expect it to give u a 2.0 TYPE-R kind of power.. :)

ur mum car is wat camry ? 2.4 ?

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
dont get me wrong...i'm not retard also...the pull is not even a civic 2.0...
my mom is 2.0g camry...if if say weight both i think r the same

so conclusion izit the fr configuration and the aging gearbox with 18" making this altezza so sluggish?

ston3r

Known Member
Jul 19, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
dont get me wrong...i'm not retard also...the pull is not even a civic 2.0...
my mom is 2.0g camry...if if say weight both i think r the same

so conclusion izit the fr configuration and the aging gearbox with 18" making this altezza so sluggish?
well, it truly depends on whether the car was taken care of properly. A stock 5-speed auto RS200 will generate roughly around 140-150hp on wheel, depending on which version it is. That should be around the right figure if there are no mods to the car.

Of course there are other factors which will render the car sluggish, such as if the previous owner has removed the cat from the exhaust. For auto cars, you will feel that at low revs, it will have a flat spot.

Other factors would include the condition of the car's engine. Do bear in mind you are testing it from a dealer, of course they would not tell you the history of the car. Most of us do take good care of our rides, but there are those out there who do not stick the recommended schedules. Yes, an aging gearbox does render a car powerless, especially if there are problems with it.

I would disagree if you say that the RS200 has less pull than a 2.0 civic or camry because I know my car can pull away from any of the two newer models any day. It will however not match the FD2R, so don't even bother to try.

My advice to you is go look for other altezzas in the market, test out each one and see if you feel any difference. Do bear in mind that these cars would have changed owners, you may not even be the second or third owner. Some may have rebuilt engines, some rebuilt or changed gearbox, broken propeller shafts and so on. It's a hardy car but not bullet proof. Some may even have been involved in major accidents.

One final word, don't always look at the price because buying a cheap car will give you more problems in the end. You never know what needs to be changed and there are not many workshops that specializes in altezzas. Most of us go to Trial/Riyoz Racing.

In the mean time, good luck with your search for a good car. I always say that choosing the right car is like choosing a girlfriend, so you better choose one that you like. Otherwise, you'd be stuck with her for a long time. :biggrin:

hulkv6tt

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
well, it truly depends on whether the car was taken care of properly. A stock 5-speed auto RS200 will generate roughly around 140-150hp on wheel, depending on which version it is. That should be around the right figure if there are no mods to the car.

Of course there are other factors which will render the car sluggish, such as if the previous owner has removed the cat from the exhaust. For auto cars, you will feel that at low revs, it will have a flat spot.

Other factors would include the condition of the car's engine. Do bear in mind you are testing it from a dealer, of course they would not tell you the history of the car. Most of us do take good care of our rides, but there are those out there who do not stick the recommended schedules. Yes, an aging gearbox does render a car powerless, especially if there are problems with it.

I would disagree if you say that the RS200 has less pull than a 2.0 civic or camry because I know my car can pull away from any of the two newer models any day. It will however not match the FD2R, so don't even bother to try.

My advice to you is go look for other altezzas in the market, test out each one and see if you feel any difference. Do bear in mind that these cars would have changed owners, you may not even be the second or third owner. Some may have rebuilt engines, some rebuilt or changed gearbox, broken propeller shafts and so on. It's a hardy car but not bullet proof. Some may even have been involved in major accidents.

One final word, don't always look at the price because buying a cheap car will give you more problems in the end. You never know what needs to be changed and there are not many workshops that specializes in altezzas. Most of us go to Trial/Riyoz Racing.

In the mean time, good luck with your search for a good car. I always say that choosing the right car is like choosing a girlfriend, so you better choose one that you like. Otherwise, you'd be stuck with her for a long time. :biggrin:
stoner, that is a wise n nice explanation,...:biggrin:

yup bro mine too get give smoke to both above mention car without a sweat...

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
hahaha...tq bro..well said...

when i say pull,i'm not talking redline,iwhen i test drive i fell the engine needs to be rev to upper than 5k rpm to feel the power,where as those newer car has better low end rpm to mid range rpm pull compare to altezza...

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
when i say pull,i'm not talking redline,iwhen i test drive i fell the engine needs to be rev to upper than 5k rpm to feel the power,where as those newer car has better low end rpm to mid range rpm pull compare to altezza...
For one thing I can say from your earlier posting is that the ride and the look itself have already won your approval and what you need to be assure of now is the power of the RS200Z Altezza...:biggrin:

As you can read from the comment of all Altezza owners, the RS200Z is not a throughbred race track demon like the Civic Type R but with some mods and tweaks..you will be surprise what it can do. When you put power and comfort in one package..you will expect some compromises.

The 3SGE engine is a very rev happy fella and when you keep the rev above the 3K region...you will be surprise at how far you can leave yr mom's camry behind...

For more info on the performance of the 3SGE engine..do go to the this thread about dynoing our car at Trial Tuning..http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/the-altezza-is200-is300-forum/260531-dyno-run-at-trial-tuning.html..might give you some ideas that the engine performance start to come from around 4K rev band.

But if you still have some doubts..do drop by when we have TT and get a spin in one of our cars to really see when it can do. :biggrin:

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
yes yes bro...love the look...juz tat i was thinking if have to constantly keep rev at above 3k rpm means fc will be high...i have never compared it to the civic type r...coz i think the old ek type r giv much more feel....but like u said heavy luxury comfort car with great engine,sumthing just have to go

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
bro... civic 2.0 s is no match for altezza....

dont know how bad is the car you tested... but 5AT is quite quick for a car that weighs 1360kg.
Need more power.... change to a lighter rims first...... but then again ...the car you tested may have problems.... unless you are expecting Type R power then look else where cos altezza is a heavy car...just like BMW and Mercs...

I hope this helps....:biggrin:

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
yes yes bro...love the look...juz tat i was thinking if have to constantly keep rev at above 3k rpm means fc will be high...i have never compared it to the civic type r...coz i think the old ek type r giv much more feel....but like u said heavy luxury comfort car with great engine,sumthing just have to go
What we are trying to say is that the Altezza have the power on tap when needed. We don't normally drive with the rev always above 3K and the FC is good as it is between 450-550km for a full tank. And for your info..most of the new technology that is incorporated into the new Altis 2.0 comes from the Altezza...Dual VVTi..VSC..Power Button...

And like AE111_SEG said..the condition of the car is important too and is dependent on the previous owners service and repair records.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
i boguth along my fren who drives a new c class cgi 205hp,when i told him the car has 200hp he was quite shocked...but when sit inside he ask me,got 200hp ar?? ahahha
but anyway i still like the look of it..looks much nicer than e46 which is the target market of altezza

Criz. Valentine

Known Member
Nov 23, 2009
Selangor
i dun drive an altezza but c class cgi is a turbocharged car under bluefficiency. so the torque is higher than a na 3sge. so of course he dun feel de power. I had a go with a c class and in top speed he couldn't cut me.

just my opinion.

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Yong, u might want to consider another unit and skip this unit..
the pic in the mudah link, the meter shows is 98~00 version pre-facelift.
with the center dials having silver outer ring.. for mid'2000~onwards should have
black outer rings and silver center background..
beware.. maybe that unit was over-declared when importer brought it in, or
previous owner changed the meter.
try check/copy the VIN number, check/read the sticky threads here, there' a post
which gives u a web-link to chk the manufacturing month+year one..
or u can check each seat belts ends there's a label there will state 'year'.
be suspicious if those labels are being chopped/cut a way...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

a friend told me a bored crankshaft of a turbo engine (due to scratches and uneven surface) with oversize engine/conrod bearing (0.5 mm) would not last long and best is to look for another crankshaft without modified.

May i have your comment/experience sharing ? Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience