Bugatti Veyron: Anatomy of a Supercar

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Came across this excellent technical analysis of the awesome Bugatti Veyron 16.4 by one Gordon Murray. Thought I'd share with all of you. It's very enlightening.

Source: ROADandTRACK.com -- Road Tests, Comparison Tests - Technical Analysis: Anatomy of a Supercar (1/2006)

Technical Analysis: Anatomy of a Supercar
The road to 250 mph is a technically fascinating one.

By Gordon Murray • Photos by Stephane Foulon
January 2006

The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 is no doubt the result of many thousands of engineering hours, and certain elements of the car are indeed cutting-edge concept and design. The two main areas that demonstrate new technology are the engine and the transmission.

The engine itself is an engineering wonder and includes some interesting new anti-knock sensing. The gearbox and gear-change system are right up to date utilizing dual-wet clutches and twin layshafts. In my opinion, this is the only way to go to attain quick, smooth gearchanges for a vehicle without a manual clutch. Most semiautomatic systems are violent in their application and not very satisfying from a driver's point of view. The Veyron gearchange is fast and extremely well applied. The complete powertrain is a great showcase for the parent company, Volkswagen AG. Another area where the car is pushing boundaries is with its electronic control systems and, in particular, their application. I drove the Bugatti on the road and on the track, which demonstrated just how seamlessly the chassis and powertrain functions have been sewn together.

The chassis/body structure is hybrid like the last Bugatti (EB110) with carbon fiber used for the primary structure and aluminum alloy for the body and front crash structure. In this respect, the all-carbon McLaren F1 and the RTM (Resin Transfer Molding) carbon Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren are, in fact, more advanced. Carbon-ceramic brakes are used as with the Porsche GT and the SLR.

The aerodynamics is interesting and complex. The design and development have been directed at problem-solving in the areas of cooling and vehicle stability. At such high speeds, the basic shape of the Veyron will generate a lot of lift. Add to this a large frontal area and 10 radiators and heat exchangers, and suddenly here's where the 1001 hp [metric horsepower] dissipates at 250 mph! The CDA figure [drag coefficient x frontal area] is at the high end of the scale for rear-engine sports cars. At these sorts of speeds, a massive amount (often three or four times the net figure) of downforce has to be generated to overcome the basic lift in order to achieve the target figure for net downforce. The Veyron is a full ground-effect vehicle like the McLaren F1 and Ferrari Enzo. The downforce increases as a square of the speed, so there are large forces to design for at speeds approaching V max [top speed] — these forces eat into available suspension travel and can cause high-speed stability problems.

Compounding this problem is that ground-effect cars are notoriously sensitive to ride height and pitch changes. I solved these problems on the F1 by having just enough downforce for high-speed stability and by giving the driver a manual control over the rear wing for a 50-percent increase in downforce at lower speeds. The F1 is also designed with an automatic "air brake," which deploys when the chassis ECU detects a certain combination of speed and deceleration. The air brake increases the CD but more important, interacts with the ground-effect forces by increasing the tail vortex and base suction, which results in an increase in downforce of 100 percent and a rearward movement of the aerodynamic center of pressure of about 4 ft., which helps negate the pitch problem. The Veyron uses the McLaren air brake system but also has a hydraulic ride-height control system, which optimizes the ride heights and chassis incidence for different speeds and loads. The F1 goes a little further with automatic brake cooling and fan-assisted boundary control for the rear diffuser.

When designing a car, I like to do a large amount of aerodynamic "block studies" — this being the basic size of the car with a cabin shape derived from engineering and packaging studies. The block model incorporates representative internal airflow for cooling. This process determines air entry and exit holes, along with the basic shape of the car so styling can begin.

As the drag increases as a square of the speed, the power requirement increases as a cube of the speed because the power itself is speed-dependent. The Veyron because of its high CDA figure and huge cooling drag needs 1001 hp to go 12 mph faster than a McLaren F1 producing 627 hp. To help understand the problem of starting a car program from a weak point aerodynamically, we do some calculations: A turbocharged F1 producing 1001 hp would achieve 281 mph assuming the same drivetrain efficiency. Another way of looking at this equation is that an F1 would need "only" 740 hp to reach the Bugatti's top speed. All this demonstrates just what an uphill struggle the Bugatti team faced to achieve their targets.

Very high top speeds in road cars produce some other very challenging problems. Some are small, such as keeping the windshield wipers attached to the glass, preventing the centrifugal force from opening the tire inflation valves and making the side mirror mounts torsionally stiff enough not to rotate at V max. Then there are much more serious high-speed problems such as a partially open side window being sucked out from the very low local pressure caused by the air accelerating around the A-pillar. Tire designers can design for very heavy vehicles or very high speeds but a combination of the two is a massive challenge. A Bugatti Veyron fully loaded and with aerodynamic load is in the order of 2½ tons at 250 mph!

Weight saving should be by design and not a post process. Weight is the car designer's biggest enemy. It works against you in every single aspect of vehicle dynamics. Power-to-weight ratio is one of the most misunderstood figures in the auto-motive world. Achieving a good power-to-weight figure by applying huge horsepower to a heavy car is in no way the same thing as achieving the same ratio with a very light car. For all its 1001 hp, the Veyron falls short of a McLaren F1's power-to-weight figure.

For me, car design is packaging. To create something truly forward-thinking, a designer has to challenge the accepted major component placement in an automobile. Styling innovation becomes more accessible when the packaging is innovative. With the F1, we set out to design the best driver's car we could, and by being innovative with componentry placement, we squeezed three occupants, a V-12, 90 liters of fuel and good luggage space into a car the same size as a Porsche Cayman. The restrictions on styling and innovations are apparent in the Veyron — the all-wheel drive and power targets must have made the designer's life a nightmare. Although the Bugatti is quite short, it is very wide and suffers from most of the rear mid-engine problems, such as high cowl height, pedal offsets, no luggage space and poor three-quarter rear view.

I have a "real-world" checklist when designing road cars: 1) size or perceived size; is the car intimidating to drive? 2) ergonomics; primary and secondary controls, pedals; 3) luggage capacity, cabin storage; 4) driveability, slow traffic engine characteristics, overtaking; 5) ride and handling; 6) ease of parking.

A road car should be designed with a checkmark against all six.

In summing up the Bugatti Veyron, had I not driven it, I would have great difficulty in deciding just what it stands for and where it fits in. To be absolutely fair, the Veyron team did not set out to challenge the McLaren F1, Enzo or Porsche GT as the ultimate driving machine. This it certainly doesn't do at two tons with turbo lag. It also falls short of the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and the Mercedes SLR McLaren for high-performance touring because of the outward vision problems and lack of luggage space. Where it absolutely succeeds is as a massive technical achievement — a statement for VW AG. And it will be guaranteed a place in automotive history because of the performance figures.

On paper, its nearest relative by specification is its brother, the Bugatti EB110 — multi-cylinder turbo engine, hybrid construction, awd and impractical on the road. It is much nearer the SLR for totally accessible performance for almost everyone, thanks to the electronics — but without the ergonomics and luggage space. I have a lot of admiration for the perseverance of Bugatti president, Dr. Thomas Bscher, and his technical team for delivering the vehicle program and creating a unique piece of automotive history.

Designing a rear mid-engine supercar is never a simple task and a car with 1001 hp [metric horsepower] multiplies the normal design and development problems by a large factor. The Veyron's design team must be applauded because the starting point was so wrong. Arbitrary targets of 1000 hp and 250 mph and 0-60-mph in under 3 seconds were set at the very beginning of the program. But worse still, a styling model was shown and accepted! This is a bad starting point for any car, but for a high-performance car, it's a disaster.

The Veyron team has done wonders to get where it has today. I can identify with them to a certain degree because with our SLR program, we were also given a "show car" as a starting point — the exception was that we had well researched targets for market positioning, a performance envelope and, most important, an agreed definition of what the car was trying to be. I've probably been a little spoiled in my 40 years of car design where — the SLR apart — every project was absolutely focused with targets and vehicle character totally clear before a model or prototype was even begun. (Nothing in the automotive industry has its function and targets more clearly defined than a Formula 1 car.)

During the McLaren F1 road car program, styling was not started until all the major technical targets were set and all the engineering problems were solved, along with packaging and basic aerodynamic shape.

The styling of the Veyron is growing on me and certainly works much better in the metal. I'm thankful that the stylist was not tempted by the current trend of the ever-more complicated "melting fruit" look! I really like the top engine intakes, which are works of art in their own right. The styling is a wonderful mélange of classic curves and mechanical edges and elements — this should ensure that the car will still look good years from now, and therefore have a chance of becoming a future classic. The extreme rear of the Veyron has some curves good enough to stroke. The rear end is let down only by the "square" exhaust; an exhaust pipe should be exactly what it says! Wheel design is elegant and technical and echoes past Bugattis.

The interior is a strange mixture of simple sports car and over-the-top luxury. The detailing and quality are both fantastic, and the tactile side works very well with a heavyweight feel to the switchgear. Ergonomics has come second place to style with several problems with outward vision and controls.

Most supercars fit into three categories: 1) real world, designed to be used and enjoyed on normal roads; 2) track cars; 3) collector cars, i.e., engineering showoffs. Some supercars fit into two or even three of these categories.

One final point is that I have always felt a little responsible for starting this lunatic chase for top speed with the McLaren F1 (even though top speed was never one of our targets!), and the Bugatti Veyron should put an end to this nonsense and let the designers get on with the job of designing good fun, efficient sports cars.

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
Oh... I have read this before... That Gordon Murray, after a big round, still saying that his McLaren F1 is better... haha... Really funny... Anyway, i'm on his side... hehe. And that F1 is my dream car... dream car...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Not really, he's just using the F1 and the other projects he has been involved in as comparison, so you get a relative feel of the differences or similarities. He went about this analysis rather objectively and professionally, as I would expect a man of his stature, knowledge and experience to do. He's not some petty little twerp like we are, he doesn't need to prove or justify himself to anybody really.

What he did try to do, is show you the kind of mountain that the Bugatti engineers had to climb to achieve the crazy target and parameters that were set way way ahead of time, whereas he had a free hand to steer the McLaren F1 precisely as he planned without factors like the insane performance targets that the Veyron had.

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
What he did try to do, is show you the kind of mountain that the Bugatti engineers had to climb to achieve the crazy target and parameters that were set way way ahead of time, whereas he had a free hand to steer the McLaren F1 precisely as he planned without factors like the insane performance targets that the Veyron had.
I strongly agree with this one...

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Those engineers at Bugatti really outdid themselves. I read once that the Veyron's gearbox had to be as tough as an F1's, and moreover, it had to last hundreds of thousands of km instead of one race! Think about that!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys , recently my Wira car got some engine starting problem , whenever i started the engine , the engine will become weak , and failed to operate , this makes me everytime when starting the car , hv to accel 1st to warm up the engine it just will become stable , can somebody tell me what kind of things is spoil oledi in my car ??

sry for poor english writing !!! :tongue:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience