Bridgeport rotary

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Sorry guys didn't mean to intrude this forum . I'm just wondering if any Rotary sifus here know the meaning of 'Bridgeport Rotary '. Just happened to come across this word when I was browsing thru You Tube for the FC RX-7. When its bridgeported RX-7, the engine sounds like 'brap,brap,brap,brap' . Any idea guys?

TIA.:wavey:

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

For 12B and 13B rotary engines, the intake and exhaust ports can be cut to make them "larger". There are 3 general types of port designs - street to bridge to ... cant remember. That's going from mild to extreme.

Bridgeports tend to have a very aggressive cut of the port and may even feature another smaller port next to the main port. Imagine it as a "j" where the main port is the curve and the smaller port is the dot.

RENESIS rotaries are a little different coz the exhaust ports are no longer peripheral but instead mounted in the side housing.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Bridgeport makes the car hard to tune, harder to drive and 'drink' extra more........

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
Hahahah..... did it once to 1 of my many Rx7 FD engines that i had gone through a decade ago. Not a very good idea. Low end torque is bad but high RPM WOT was awesome..... Very hard to tune..... Very noisy Brap Brap Brap Brap...... and yea, gobbles down tons of fuel even at idle..... 2 months later i rebuilt another spare engine.... but this time with a mild street port (larger intake port and exhaust port). Much more driveable..... Plus i did't have to explain to my family why my car sounded like it was gonna EXPLODE ...... Hahahahaha

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
hahaha...... yea.... like that.... I'm sure that car sounds louder in real life. My car kept on setting off my neighbours car alarms...... Nice to hear that brap brap brap sound again...... Only thing is that mine was a lil more higher pitched..... Maybe coz of different exhaust systems......

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Bridgeports are ridiculously loud. Heard one in Oz and i was thinking "no way i'm gonna do that".

That said, it produced a ridiculous amount of power - 800HP. This was a turbo-charged 13B-REW.

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
The only reason why there's a "bridge" is to keep the seals from falling off the rotors, this is due to the extremely long duration a bridgeported car runs.

Thats what I read anyways

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Bridgeports are ridiculously loud. Heard one in Oz and i was thinking "no way i'm gonna do that".

That said, it produced a ridiculous amount of power - 800HP. This was a turbo-charged 13B-REW.
Can it produce better power output if its NA?

Anyways thanks for the great info guys, cheers!:burnout:

woaychee

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
nah, a crazy friend of mine. now the car rotted in garage for 2 years coz not drivable in city. only fetch his car to track fool around with his evo's car gang.

dude, don try this with your engine. really not worth the penny if u plan to drive in city.

SomeGuy_sg

Known Member
Oct 2, 2004
To answer sb3, Yes it will give better power is the higher rpms. That is what the porting does. To move the power band into the higher range. Porting for rotary engines are a double edged swords. The more extensive the porting work done, the shorter the life of the engine.
Heck, you can Peri Port your 13b, put out 200+ hp NA, shifting at over 9k rpm, with doing that, it will never pass emissions nor will it last long. It will idle over 1.5k rpm and cold start will be a killer.

hee hee .... all in all ... that 9+k rpm shift would be sweet :P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Had a Triton 2.5 non-VGT with 4D56 DI-D engine ...

Thinking of a turbo upgrade as the engine revs to around 3000 rpm and run out of steam already ...

Does anyone done this before and can recommend which turbo are suitable for the engine ?

Doesnt wanna get crazy power and was hope for minimal turbo lag and more usable more across the rev range ...

Thanks =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience