bigger car battery

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
how does affect to install a bigger car battery into a car? If batteries of bigger size but car engine starters of the same model would they be compatible?

Reactions: แรนV

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You shouldn't have to worry about the starter. Bigger battery helps the starter get off better.

The only worry is whether the alternator is strong enough to recharge the bigger battery. Also depends on how big is big. If you're going from NS40 to NS70 or larger, then you might want to rethink the strategy. If NS40 to NS60, I don't think that'll be too big a load on the stock alternator. NS60 to NS70 lagi no problem.

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
from ns40 to ns60 no problem..
even ns60 to ns 70 got no issue...

BUT not sure from ns40 to ns70...
*last time hear guys with huge amp & woofer use 2 batteries?

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i use two NS70 in my putra.... one at the front and another at the back..... alternator no kong also.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
why need a bigger battery?

all i know, battery is use to start engine only.. and only to start engine..

after the engine starts.. all electrical components of the car is powered by alternator.. including charging the battery..

am i right?

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Ok let me share some experience.. previously i encounter voltage drop problem, but now has been solved..
normally if our car is stock say NS60 and you upgrade to NS70.. that's just minimal upgrade or i should say not much different.. but if you are upgrading from NS60 to NS90.. den the problem you have is only the recharging back of the battery will be slow.. it's just like imagine you have a water tank in your house.. where the water tank is 100 litres and the incoming water supply is about say 30litre/min.. and your outgoing supply is constantly 50litre/min.. you might find the water tank i just barely enough to support as when it started to draw the water(current) you will be able to see the water incoming supply will keep turning on to support the water tank because of it's water loss.. so if you upgrade to a higher capacity this will be able to help more or less as most of the batteries/water tank will have a minimum water/voltage level to maintain till restart the charging...

so in this case if you change to a battery that is way too big, and your drainage is also high, your alternator will become vy stress.. it'll charge continuously.. as minimum charging will kick in @ 12.3V.. so whenever your car battery voltage goes lower than 12.3V your alternator will start charging again.. So conclusion is, you can change to big size but not too big like NS100 or so..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
yeah, once car is running it's the alternator. But i think the battery has some play in the overall electronics too. Moving from a NS60 to 70 last time my ICE obviously was better but I also noticed a more stable headlamp light, rather than dimming everytime my aircon compressor kicked in.

Two NS70 batteries with 1 alternator to charge? I doubt that's the stock alternator! 70A alt to recharge two NS70's is quite interesting. Unless you've already changed to a 90A or 100A alternator la.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
I also using 2 batteries one is NS90 Trane battery another is NS40 Bosch battery but i'm using 150Amp alternator to charge.. so charging is very fast..

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
so got any bigger alternator that fits campro a? i am having problem starting my car everytime...

i am using a 46B24RS/N60S battery currently, what size should i change to?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
so got any bigger alternator that fits campro a? i am having problem starting my car everytime...

i am using a 46B24RS/N60S battery currently, what size should i change to?
That's not the alternator problem la. That's your starter problem or battery weak problem.

Buy a good battery to begin with, not those cap ayam dunno what brand type of batteries. I personally like the Panasonic range of MF batteries. If after using a good battery your car is still hard to start, you might want to check the starter. Perhaps wire up a direct wire from the battery to the starter for starters, if still cannot then only change it.

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
the problem is, starter is new, the battery is new...

edit: i am using marathoner batteries

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

. Perhaps wire up a direct wire from the battery to the starter for starters
which terminal should i wire up directly?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Add a fuse as well, direct from battery to starter lor.

If starter and battery is new, then starting - which part is hard? Cranking or what?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My back neighbours car in Bandar Puteri Puchong kena break in yesterday night... I dun know what to say redi lah... His car is old car also they target lah.. his sound system all gone. Speakers, woofers and CD player...

Im just waiting for my turn lah.... dun know when my car going to kena since i park my car outside of the gate. :(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience