Best Twin Clutch

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
As above, I would like to collect some information about twin clutch for our Skyline user. Which is the best twin clutch in deep down your heart, which can hold high power(HP), durability(life span), and driveability(heavy foot/ONoff type). And what is your current twin clutch are your using now?

Model:xxx
Hp:xxx
Durability:xxx
Driveability:xxx
Current twin clutch:xxx

Will be appreciate to your sharing ^_^

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Model: HKS GD Clutch PRO
Hp: From 300hp to 600hp
Durability: Used it for about 18 months with 500ish atw and then when I had engine out for 2.8 stroker, I replaced the clutch plates since everything was taken apart anyways.
Driveability: Easy. I can't compare it to a stock GTR clutch cause mine came from Japan with an ORC (IIRC) but its definitely not on/off. If you jumped into the car, armed only with the knowledge of driving a manual family car, you could easily drive my GTR. People have problems when they are too conscious of the clutch, biting point etc.
Current twin clutch: As above.

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
Anyone else? I believe many of here are driving a twin clutch~ how about ogura p659d and nismo super copper mix twin? I heard that nismo twin provide good driveabilty and able to handle high hp, but it will cause a bit stress to our gearbox.... Is it real?

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
I use an ORC 559 steel clutch.. and i have the Nismo Slave Cylinder fitted so i think this is a very drivable setup since the clutch pedal is lighter than stock now.

some guys dont like it though as u dont feel the biting point so much, but you get used to it.
its really easy to drive, even in traffic jams.

from my experience, the more power a clutch can handle, the snatchier the biting point (i had a Nismo G-MAX Spec II before, that can handle 700HP but wasn't as easy to drive)

so if you drive your car a lot or want something easier to drive dont go for such a high performance clutch.. it would be a bit of an overkill (unless your planning to beef up your HP in the near future) and get the Nismo Cylinder... its only about 400 bucks anyway.. which is cheap for a Nismo item haha

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
A Nismo G-MAX Spec I would be easier to drive. It has a pressure of 950kgf as opposed to the Spec II with a pressure of 1,150kgf. Spec I is for "sports driving", I guess it's pretty much ok on the foot.

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
another HKS GD-Pro user here ... awesome hardwere ... but u have to be familiar with it first to fully optimize its capability ... otherwise u will end up stalling the car or burning ur expensive rubber

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
HKS GD-Pro as well here. Has been using it since 2003. Excellent durability and value for money.

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
Actually how to choose a suitable clutch? Let say Im aiming for my future car is 450WHP(approximately 600 flywheel HP), so I must choose the clutch which can handle the output above 600 flywheel HP? Or we just need to consider the torque? Correct me if I'm wrong, I always think the output rated on clutch is flywheel HP but not WHP.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Seems like many sifu here was using HKS, but is HKS provide "sword clashing" sound when turn on the engine? I love the sound so much. Kekekeke:-) keringgGGGGG~

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Nenibobo:

yep, always updrade ur hardware based on ur mods or target figure ... and as highlighted by rzlan above, most of the clutch set is rated based on horsepower not newtonmeter

no *sword slashing * sound by the way ... kakaka

yong:

gotta agree with ur last statement ... and i did asked my mech to open up my gearbox to check out the clutch and gearbox internals as there was (and still is) a funny *klocking*sound when the car is stationary and the clutch pedal is free ... damn, sound like smthing loose

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
although im not using skyline. but im a twin plate user.. using the hks gd (not pro) twin plate ....Lighter than stock clutch feeling.... sound of it when pressing the clutch ...Marvelousss! sounds like loose bearing as its just go ring rging krrringggggggg all the way ... easier to drive than the exedy hyper single (not as sensitive ) but it holds and still able to snap broke a few R32 drive shaft while clutch kicking during drift (due to wrong method kicking like a mad guy)

but talking about car start up , the ORC steel seems sound sharper ....

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
I still not so clear about the clutch output rating. As PIMPIM situation as above, his car is 500 wheel HP but using hks gd pro which max only can hold 600 flywheel HP(450 wheel HP), is it over the clutch output rating?

Ok, let me ask like this way. A 550hp rating twin clutch(ogura P559D) can hold a "550 flywheel HP" car OR "550 on wheel HP" car?

Last edited:

lemon_demon

Known Member
Oct 22, 2008
gotta agree with ur last statement ... and i did asked my mech to open up my gearbox to check out the clutch and gearbox internals as there was (and still is) a funny *klocking*sound when the car is stationary and the clutch pedal is free ... damn, sound like smthing loose
bro what kinda *klocking* sound that u mean? is it some sort of rattling sound, the sound of some parts went loose and vibrates? i think i had the same symptoms.. idle sounds like some shafts went longgar etc... scary :ahhhhh:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
What you want is 450hp sometime in the future. At that power level, a twin plate is about the only option for you. The way I see it, a twin plate clutch made by any of the reputable guys be it HKS, Ogura, OSG, Nismo, LV, Prada etc would do the job. The more important question would be price. How much would it cost to replace the clutch plates in future? Are they readily available? Looking at the power rating figures can be useful but at the end of the day, clutches suffer from wear and tear. This is not solely dependent on how much power it has to handle but more on the abuse it has to endure.

I've seen guys with 300+hp screw up their twin plate clutches and I'm sure if you searched on overseas GTR forums there are people with twin plates in their daily driven 700hp GTRs and have no problems whatsoever.

Curiously, mine had no problems dealing with 570-580 atw plus my slightly (ok, very) enthusiastic driving style and the fact that I only drive on high boost. Even if I were to go for more power, I'd try to keep my twin plate for as long as possible. My cousin had 614 atw and he ran a triple plate HKS and he blew his Getrag. My theory is that all that power is going to break something so might as well make the clutch the weakest link. :stupid:

Hahah I've just realized that I've done fk all to answer your question. I should write speeches for politicians at this rate.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

One of the advantages of the HKS rattle is that when nervous passengers get into your car, all you have to say is "You have no idea what you're in for. Just listen to my drivetrain already shaking with fear" :burnout:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all, can anyone give some suggestion on what type of body kit or spoiler and rims that suit the latest honday city most? i personally found the outlook is bit weird from some degree of view, is bit difficult to decide how to modify it. have any one heard about a brand called TRO?(if i'm not mistaken, n it is brand of body kits)..thank guys photo of smaple is much more appreciated ya ;-)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience