Best affordable alarm system

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I think it's better if you understand what car you're driving. Because if you have a Civic, then the alarm requirements will be slightly different than say a EG or a Jazz. (I'm assuming you're driving a Honda because of your avatar pic)

Firstly I suggest you try to find out how your particular model is stolen these days. Then only get a suitable setup to counter that problem. Kinda like how Myvi's have a weakspot hood release, Civics and Citys have a boot weakspot, etc.

It's better you understand what needs to be fixed and counter that rather than spend money on an alarm that can be disabled so easily. I personally know how to do it for most cars so imagine what the pros (thieves) can do.
Car-specific security is an excellent way to go about it, but you would still have the basic need for a good and reliable alarm. Only then you can begin addressing specific problem/weakness.

My confusion stems from the fact that you can get a 2-way alarm system for the same price of a 1-way alarm from a reputable brand. So, which is better? That's the dilemma really. What would you recommend, personally?

How do I go about researching about how my model is generally stolen, coz I seriously don't know where to begin. Thank you for your help!

maze

Known Member
Jan 16, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
brands like clifford, viper and phyton came from the same company.. the company name is "Directed" there's one reputable audio products named "Orion" also came from that company

seperlinky

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
IMHO, I think alarm should be at your high priority list if you were or want to spend to a car. Get a good Thatcham certified alarm + anti-hijack which immobilize the car.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Car-specific security is an excellent way to go about it, but you would still have the basic need for a good and reliable alarm. Only then you can begin addressing specific problem/weakness.

My confusion stems from the fact that you can get a 2-way alarm system for the same price of a 1-way alarm from a reputable brand. So, which is better? That's the dilemma really. What would you recommend, personally?

How do I go about researching about how my model is generally stolen, coz I seriously don't know where to begin. Thank you for your help!
Well, there's no right or wrong.

My personal opinion is to resolve the security issues first. In the case of my Myvi, I spent a lot of time getting the hood release cable to be un-yankable so my hood isn't accessible by their standard way of pulling the hood release to open the hood (will not reveal how exactly on a public forum). Then only did I source for an immobilizer, alarm module, etc etc. Ultimately your alarm is going to run off the battery unless it has a standalone battery (which is pretty rare), disabling the battery from the hood would render your alarm useless. Well, in my case anyway.

The dilemma with 2-way alarms is the range. Most have a very limited range and can only work up to xxx meters (I'm not sure exactly how far) so unless the alarm manufacturer has verified claims on their product, I wouldn't consider 2-way alarms. The battery consumption on one of those 2-way alarm fobs is crazy and changing battery is more frequent than the 1-way version.

As for researching how cars are stolen, easy. Youtube does wonders. For those uninformed, Civic and City does not have any sensors or triggers in the boot. Arm your car and open the boot and the alarm will not trigger. I strongly suggest you work on that first cuz breaking into the boot is a very simple task.

Consider a strong brake pedal steering rack pinion lock. Those are pretty useful for automatic Hondas since you can't engage gear unless you've pressed the brake pedal.

Clifford used to have those wireless immobilizers so it was damn near impossible to trace where you hide it so that was pretty good too. But Clifford systems are way above your budget range, some hovering in the 1.5 to 2.5k range.

I think as long as you have a reputable brand, it'll work. What you really need is a good installer. With a properly hidden module and properly wired up setup, it can make cracking the setup difficult if properly done. And customizing your setup like adding a hidden fuel cut switch or something like that helps. My wiring was completely replaced with all black wires. No coloured wires at all! That should be a massive headache for anyone trying to hotwire or anything.

Tilt sensors and microwave sensors are useful to detect cars being towed or broken into.

Last edited:

viperxs

Jul 6, 2006
That's right. I know the dilemma of dealing with money and with these thieves eyeing for your car it doesn't help much either.
First 2 way alarm. I have experienced both Steelmate and Viper 691 (same one posted on previous page in lowyat forum). Steelmate is quite ok, reliability is about few hundred meters on open space. Don't drop the thing and it will render almost useless. Viper on other hand works at about 2KM and this was from personal experience when I left the parking place on train and after few minutes my transmitter started to vibrate and when I came back someone knocked on my car (I guess some lousy driver trying to get their car out only to bumped into mine first). It can withstand knocks easily compared to other brands. Both are electronics but few key different things. The plastic housing is one example, quality of the electronics and how they soldered it in the boards. This can affect sensitivity. If you don't have much funds available get the Viper 1 way should suffice. Depending on the model and its capability you can add in few more stuff for example tilt sensor and vibration sensor. This would help in case someone try to tow your car or break the glass to get inside the car. You can also add a window roller (for those always forgetting to roll up their window) but I think it's better to get something else with that money. Get a backup battery for example. What is important here is the installer. Security is as good as how you install it. Good product and good installer and wallah...

Stay low and get more funds. Try to get reputable tinting solution that comes with security features. I think they called it security film. You will get lesser chance of getting hijacked while at traffic lights for example. It also helps that they will need more time should they need to break your glass if you park your car somewhere secluded. Owh, make sure the alarm will lock all your door once you get in and start your engine.

While collecting funds for the tint, get some basic cheap stuff to do like what Izso mentioned. Get a good steering lock and whatever lock available and fuel cut off switch.

Then behavior, don't park your car secluded spot or try to be cheap by parking at roadside far from the shopping mall cos its free. Depending on your car, it should follow suit. If its a really nice souped up car, try to have it valet parking most of the times. Map your journey if you planning to go out. Don't leave your keys with the valet place if possible. Don't go to the same place always in sense you are always predictable. For example every Friday night you will go to Tropicana City Mall and park your car at the valet. If your car designed for show car, let it be as show car and show it up there at the valet parking spot rather than park at the basement. This is where 2 way can add value because you will probably be within range. Another that can add value to 2 way is you park your car at the open spot at your apartment for example. It may be able to detect your car motions.

Don't leave anything valuable in the car. If its a must to leave your laptop for quick minutes do lock it to the body at the trunk. Instead of doing it when you arrived at the place, do it before you leave. Prying eyes will see if you park your car, open bonnet and lock your laptop. No matter what they will try to open your trunk to see their luck in getting your laptop. Do not leave anything that can trace your car back to where it is such as a warranty paper showing your house address. Car stickers for your housing area is fine since some places doesn't work with hand waving Malaysian technique. Some housing estates doesn't care about stickers as long as you have the magnetic card. Even better cos you can take out the stickers making your car obscure.

So good products, good installation, don't rely just one thing (just having alarm for example), good behavior and good luck :) With all these you can deter 90% of the thieves. I think 90% la cos I just simply pick the number out of thin air but for sure normal thieves will target easy ones unless your car is a cyber evo then the super professional ones will come and this you will need good luck badly. Listen and ask and read how people cars are stolen now and try to think what went wrong. Some maybe just rely on OEM alarm for 6 years simply trying to save on bucks. Normal reason before having car stolen is I don't have money to change alarm but clubbing weekly got money out of thin air, after stolen, damn I should stay off the clubs for 2 months to save up and get those new alarm instead..aihhh...In this example you can see that simply cos no one steal his car before the priority shifted. Drinking and clubbing more important than getting car security done. Once car stolen, then you get headaches for months and no car to even go drinking/clubbing anymore.
Owh make your car less flashy than necessary. A kancil with full set ori Defi on the dashboard...yummy from 400km away. They can spot your car in KL although they might be about to cross Golok river. Yes, they have good super eyesight. First do you need those anyway? Is it necessary for you to read the vital stats or just simply to make your car flashier? If really need try to hide it, the idea is for the driver to read it and not for the driver next to your car to read it. I noticed the trend now is for the car to pass by Jalan P Ramlee and for the entire Beach club patron to see your car got those gadgets...So don't blame it on the thieves cos they got nothing else better to do than to target your car. Those electronics can fetch good price in open market. If really need flashy car try to paint in in pink and yellow dualtone. Or put those hello kitty dolls in your car. The ladies might see it as you have a sensitive spot in your heart. Remember, a good sports car will attract more guys than girls so unless you want to swing that way try to make it less attractive to guys unless they really peek into your car.
Guess I have covered most of it for you and perhaps other readers as well.

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
An alarm is not the only thing you should have, if you have a good budget, get a gps system that will allow you to track your car coordinates,
my car was stolen a few days back. Lets say if they just tow your car away, the gps would help you to track your car. 2nd is prevention, never ever park your car at any non guarded compound if possible, even a place with a lot of cars is useless, the public wont really bother.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey people,
I'm thinking of modding the exhaust of my Telstar. I've asked for quotes and for 2 bullets, 2.5" piping and muffler is about RM550. is that a good price? I'm doing it at puchong. If I want to change the extractor, I 'only' need to add RM150. Good deal?

Another question is. How big a difference will the exhaust mod make to my:
1) power/torque
2) fuel consumption?
The most important thing i'm looking for is actually better fuel consumption. Is the exhaust mod worth it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience