ATF. Stick to stock or use hifi I.E Torco?

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
My take is slightly different from everyone here. Even if your car is stock, what is the purpose you want to change to a higher performance oil?

Back when I still had an auto Wira, before I installed a ATF cooler I was on the stock Proton SPIII oil. I used to go Genting a lot and would use gear 2 and 1 a lot downhill. There was one time I managed to overcook the gearoil and once I reached the base of the hill and shifted to "D" it wouldn't go to the overdrive gear and stayed in 2. I stopped by the side of the road to let it cool down for about 15-20 minutes. It started shifting normally after cooling down, after that swapped out the ATF to Diaqueen SPIII. Never had the overheating GB problem after the switch. I personally think better ATF has better heat resistance (viscosity should be the same) and has higher tolerance to take a beating.

If you're just driving casually in town and don't really drag your gears much you don't really need high performance oil especially if there's nothing wrong with your GB. As long as you using original correct spec oil you're fine for everyday puttering around.
hence i said if TS does spiritual whacking, he can change to performance one. hehe

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My take is slightly different from everyone here. Even if your car is stock, what is the purpose you want to change to a higher performance oil?

Back when I still had an auto Wira, before I installed a ATF cooler I was on the stock Proton SPIII oil. I used to go Genting a lot and would use gear 2 and 1 a lot downhill. There was one time I managed to overcook the gearoil and once I reached the base of the hill and shifted to "D" it wouldn't go to the overdrive gear and stayed in 2. I stopped by the side of the road to let it cool down for about 15-20 minutes. It started shifting normally after cooling down, after that swapped out the ATF to Diaqueen SPIII. Never had the overheating GB problem after the switch. I personally think better ATF has better heat resistance (viscosity should be the same) and has higher tolerance to take a beating.

If you're just driving casually in town and don't really drag your gears much you don't really need high performance oil especially if there's nothing wrong with your GB. As long as you using original correct spec oil you're fine for everyday puttering around.
That happened to me too but when my oil was getting old or like last time got leak, hence less volume and easier to overheat.

Darth Evillus

Known Member
Jan 16, 2019
What about oil filter? Using performance filter and stock filter any diff?

Some people go the extra mile
ATF flush
Engine flush

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
What about oil filter? Using performance filter and stock filter any diff?

Some people go the extra mile
ATF flush
Engine flush
Use original factory oil filter..good enough. Problem with aftermarket. You don't really know if its quality or they just slap their brand on some made in China filter...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

here's the deal, i'm trickin' out my uncle's old skool beetle and i wanna get it lowered. are there any adjustables or lowering springs available for an old car like this in kch? thanx in advance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience