asking: what diff. with DOHC and SOHC??

qimme

Known Member
Jun 27, 2007
can anyone tell me what diff with double overhead cam(DOCH) and single overhead cam(SOHC)??

drMpower

May 1, 2006
err....the most visible difference is......

'D' is replaced by an 'S'?

lol

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
SOHC, Single Cam
DOHC, Double Cam
Now already got Quad Cam la...

Last edited by a moderator:

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
SOHC has single cam to control intake and exhaust. This one usually used for 2 valves in a single cumbustion cylinder engine.

DOHC has 2 cams. One to control intake and another to control exhaust. This one usually used for 4 valves in a single cumbustion cylinder engine.

Quad cam can only be seen on V engines. Either V6, V8 or V12. It like having 2 engines in one.

Anyway, guys be reasonable. There are always newbies everyday. So do a little to help out rather than putting up sarcastic remarks. Putting up google, wiki or howstuffworks, don't give you a right to say you are better than everyone.:wavey:

DOHC

Mar 26, 2007
Anyway, guys be reasonable. There are always newbies everyday. So do a little to help out rather than putting up sarcastic remarks. Putting up google, wiki or howstuffworks, don't give you a right to say you are better than everyone.:wavey:
Disagreed

No one was insulting anyone..

However, I also do believe that we need to change the "ignorant" mentality.
Googling would give instant and most accurate answers..

For example, I'm not a computer guy. I didn't understand about duo core, single core, quad core stuff.
So i just googled up and came to know details about it.

Last edited:

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
SOHC has single cam to control intake and exhaust. This one usually used for 2 valves in a single cumbustion cylinder engine.

DOHC has 2 cams. One to control intake and another to control exhaust. This one usually used for 4 valves in a single cumbustion cylinder engine.

Quad cam can only be seen on V engines. Either V6, V8 or V12. It like having 2 engines in one.

woah!!nice!hahaha!!thanx for tht comment since im a newbie myself:biggrin: ok bk to d topic...was wondering if that relates to more power on a DOHC engine compared to a SOHC?plus would modding frm a SOHC to DOHC be possible or anyway worth it?according to my fren, there would be no difference and a SOHC would be better off than a DOHC....he did explain y but i cant remember what he actually said...haha!

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
is like the concept of using 1 or 2 hands to work,which faster ?hahaha
if TFK, 1 hand will be much better. if Char Po, 2 hand will be the best...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

if got 2 chicks, Quad Hand is the only way....wakakaka...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greets all and thanks a lot for viewing my post and thanks in advance for any advisement(s) :listen:

Recently bought an old(er) Perdana SE 2.0 (4cyl) yr. 1998 for good price - it's all stock and needs some maintenance eg. engine mounts, some suspension work, etc. estimated 2K worth of repairs is needed to get her back into basic shape - the body is in good condition and does not need any repairs. Gearbox is good as it's an automatic (so far - yes I've read the can be problematic).

So...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience