Any Porsche owner here?

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I am wondering if there is any Porsche owner here?
How is the Porsche market in Malaysia ? I went to check out dealership in KL and saw quite some exotic cars in the lot. I wonder if it is visible to bring my car home to Malaysia.

Thanks in advance.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I am wondering if there is any Porsche owner here?
How is the Porsche market in Malaysia ? I went to check out dealership in KL and saw quite some exotic cars in the lot. I wonder if it is visible to bring my car home to Malaysia.

Thanks in advance.
There are plenty of Porsches in Malaysia. Probably highest number compared to the other exotica brands. 2nd Ferrari and then GTR35 (not quite an exotic) and probably Lambo.

Aren't you in the USA? If yes wouldn't your car be left hand drive? If yes it'll be a pain to drive that in KL. And the taxes and all would make your car quite expensive. Personally, if it isn't a unique model, I wouldn't bother to bring it over.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I saw quite a few when I was there for CNY. Very glad to know there is a large number of Porsche or Exotic cars in MY.

Yes, I am currently in US and it will be left hand drive. I am still debating how difficult to drive left hand drive car in MY. I think I am alright with that except the drive thru :)
The Porsche I am planing to bring home is not new model. It is older model so market value & taxes is not too expensive. I am estimating below 100K ringgit and I think I will pay about the same or less for a decent car in MY. Since I own the car now, I thought I would just bring it home and use it. Furthermore it is getting rarer each day. Who knows, price might goes up more :)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Smart tag, and I think you're ok assuming you're not a salesman. Drive thru is easy, just get someone to go with you so they can hold the food, and more importantly, pay for it.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Smart tag, and I think you're ok assuming you're not a salesman. Drive thru is easy, just get someone to go with you so they can hold the food, and more importantly, pay for it.
As far as I remember, I am a lousy salesman. Somehow, most of my jobs need some sales and I get by. Ha ha, good suggestion on bring a passenger. I think he/she will have a hard time keeping the food down while I am driving. Btw, is speeding ticket expensive in MY ??

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
aes system 300 bucks xD

left hand drive trunk road no need overtake already....
You mean 300 for speeding ticket? That is quite a lot. My whole paycheck. I remember seeing speeding or "running red light" cameras around PJ area.

You know, I forgot about paying toll. Have to get out of the car to pay :banghead:

Thanks

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
LOL.. You're kinda forced to use the 'smart tag' system then. Then you don't have to worry about getting out of the car. LOL

Seriously, driving with a LHD car isn't the issue. It's living with it that is. Personally again, like I said - if it's not a unique model, I wouldn't bother.

Oh and a new Porsche these days goes for above RM1mil. A second hand one perhaps half of that. So buy 2nd hand from a reputable seller or off a direct seller.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
LOL.. You're kinda forced to use the 'smart tag' system then. Then you don't have to worry about getting out of the car. LOL

Seriously, driving with a LHD car isn't the issue. It's living with it that is. Personally again, like I said - if it's not a unique model, I wouldn't bother.

Oh and a new Porsche these days goes for above RM1mil. A second hand one perhaps half of that. So buy 2nd hand from a reputable seller or off a direct seller.
Is the smart tag the device on the windshield that automatically charge the toll when you drive through?

It is a 1990 Porsche Carrera 2 964 Targa. If I remember correctly, there are less than 250 import to US that year. Who knows how many left, maybe less than 100 or even 50. To me, I think it is rare enough to keep. I am in the process to rebuilt & upgrade the engine so it will last for a while.

Wow, over a million. Wish I have that money to blow. I would get myself a nice home instead. Use the rest of the money for track :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is the smart tag the device on the windshield that automatically charge the toll when you drive through?

It is a 1990 Porsche Carrera 2 964 Targa. If I remember correctly, there are less than 250 import to US that year. Who knows how many left, maybe less than 100 or even 50. To me, I think it is rare enough to keep. I am in the process to rebuilt & upgrade the engine so it will last for a while.

Wow, over a million. Wish I have that money to blow. I would get myself a nice home instead. Use the rest of the money for track :biggrin:
Woot.... I think I've seen that 964 around! Rare but definitely have seen it. In fact, there isn't a single exotic that hasn't been seen in M'sia except perhaps the Jag E-type. Either that or they are so rare here it's rarely ever shown in public.

But I know how you feel, it's probably a car of sentimental value, whats more you're rebuilding it so with that in mind, no matter what anyone here says you're probably going to ship the thing over anyway. :biggrin:

Also, a million ringgit is less than USD400k. And a lot less taxes. But why on earth would anyone want to come back I dunno.

Last edited:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Woot.... I think I've seen that 964 around! Rare but definitely have seen it. In fact, there isn't a single exotic that hasn't been seen in M'sia except perhaps the Jag E-type. Either that or they are so rare here it's rarely ever shown in public.

But I know how you feel, it's probably a car of sentimental value, whats more you're rebuilding it so with that in mind, no matter what anyone here says you're probably going to ship the thing over anyway. :biggrin:

Also, a million ringgit is less than USD400k. And a lot less taxes. But why on earth would anyone want to come back I dunno.
I like 964 because it is one of the last air cooled porsche. 993 is nice but too modern look, I like the classic look. I saw older 911 for sale in MY not running and needs work for around USD 30K. I am hoping I can get mine into MY for a little less than that, I will be please.

Saw a complete restored E type for sale here not too long ago and very tempting. I still want something I can track it though. I took my rusted Datsun 280Z to the track once and it was hilarious. You can see the track inside the car and it rolls like a boat. I had the best time of my life though.

Some said cars are like women to a guy. If that is the case, then I will be a pimp. :biggrin:

Wow. USD 400K can get me a Used Porsche Carrera GT, a few Bentley conti GT, Lambo, Ferrari, etc.

Family man. At the end of the day, MY still feels home to me. Like everything except the heat, crime and traffic. Love the food, houses, track, cars, etc.

alwinnng

Sep 22, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
You mean 300 for speeding ticket? That is quite a lot. My whole paycheck. I remember seeing speeding or "running red light" cameras around PJ area.

You know, I forgot about paying toll. Have to get out of the car to pay :banghead:

Thanks
buy smart tag for tolls...below 200 for the machine...and need top up the card...

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
buy smart tag for tolls...below 200 for the machine...and need top up the card...
Definately buying that instead of getting out of the car and pay toll :banghead:
I think the whole KL ppl will hate me if I do that :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

EPICSTANCE is back and all Stance cult followers are welcomed! The inaugural EPICSTANCE meet & greet last December was an explosive mobilization of 150 cool examples from all over peninsular Malaysia on display. This proves just how much the Stance cult has penetrated the country and diverse these enthusiasts...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience